• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

How are Orbea bikes? Friend is moving and has an Aqua from 2012 that he doesn't want to pack up. I'd like to get into biking so buying it from him would give me the push in the right direction. How much would be a fair price?

I purchased a bike several months ago after not having one since I was a kid. What are some good places to ride within an hour or two of Winston? I did the Virginia Creeper trail from Whitetop to Damascus but have mostly just rode on the greenways. At this point I'm probably still looking for an easier ride rather than something technical or with a lot of climbing.

Type of bike?

I purchased a bike several months ago after not having one since I was a kid. What are some good places to ride within an hour or two of Winston? I did the Virginia Creeper trail from Whitetop to Damascus but have mostly just rode on the greenways. At this point I'm probably still looking for an easier ride rather than something technical or with a lot of climbing.

1) Tanglewood - nice singletrack and very convenient to W-S. Challenging enough for a good workout, but not too difficult.
2) Hobby Park - very challenging
3) Kernersville MTB park - Haven't been there yet (actually trying to get there today), but heard it's great.
4) Lake Norman State Park

Also some great stuff in Wilkesboro (Warrior Creek), but haven't been.

Enjoy

Lots of action on this thread.

Not running related but did the 7 day hike and summit of Mount Kilimanjaro last week. Summited on day 6. Absolutely fucking amazing.

e7b9b5b233417c663e67acd7ebaadb11.jpg

27600a2101dcea6b6e416e00f80ea69a.jpg

Wake alumna Allie Kieffer was fifth today at the New York City marathon. Second American after Shalane!!!!! 2:29. What a boss.

Wake alumna Allie Kieffer was fifth today at the New York City marathon. Second American after Shalane!!!!! 2:29. What a boss.

Shalane is so fun to watch. I am mesmerized by her legs. You could hardly tell if she was going uphill or downhill in the last ~4 miles through Central Park. Machine.

Last edited:
Despite being a Tarhole.

I'm talking about Allie, not Shalane. Shalane is fine. Allie is a deac and has had a ridiculously tragic life but somehow still manages to be a happy, outgoing, generous person.

I'm talking about Allie, not Shalane. Shalane is fine. Allie is a deac and has had a ridiculously tragic life but somehow still manages to be a happy, outgoing, generous person.

Yeah, I misremembered who we were talking about where. My bad.

Allie FTW. I saw her in the post-race interview and was like, "damn she looks familiar... must be one of those faces." Then the Wake connection popped up and it was all 'oooooooooooohhhhhh.'

I'm also excited to know that Gwen Jorgensen (olympic gold in triathlon) is looking to tackle the marathon. She and her husband moved to Portland, her husband races cross; we've met/chatted a few times - and not just awkward fangirl chatting. One of my friends is her real friend and I've glommed onto their conversations as we spectate our respective significant others racing. She's REALLY nice, her new baby is super cute, and I might have a girl crush on her.

Allie's freshman roommate won the USA 5k championship a couple of years ago and Allie has the world record in the indoor marathon. Pretty impressive for a couple of wake girls.

Allie's freshman roommate won the USA 5k championship a couple of years ago and Allie has the world record in the indoor marathon. Pretty impressive for a couple of wake girls.

LOWF mentality strikes again!

(I kid. It really is pretty awesome.)

"Indoor marathon" just made me physically ill

Sad story. Awful that she had to live in Buffalo.

So... Boston. I need 3:35, which is like ~8:12/mi.

Throwing the carrot out there now that I'm going for it this coming year.

Back