• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Doing the Olympic distance at the South Beach Triathlon this weekend. It will be my first Olympic distance and third tri overall. After being just a runner for more than a decade, I started biking 18 months ago and learned to swim last January. I am finding that I really like the diversity of the multiple disciplines. And I have quickly found out that my best discipline is the bike. Wishing I had picked it up earlier.

We ran it the Cherry Blossom last weekend with a few of my wife's law school UVA friends. My wife PR'd (thanks to her incredible running partner) and honestly I really enjoyed the race. Very flat, the blossoms were beautiful and its just a cool area to run in. I wouldn't mind coming back and running it every year. It was great.

Tough to get in every year. Last time I ran it was 2016. I got the loser lottery this year, since I missed it 2 straight.

This year was a beautiful display of blossoms.

Can't believe I ran with Brasky and didn't know it.

I was in the red group and loved passing some of the "elites." I don't care if they were having a bad day or injured. :)

Tough to get in every year. Last time I ran it was 2016. I got the loser lottery this year, since I missed it 2 straight.

This year was a beautiful display of blossoms.

Can't believe I ran with Brasky and didn't know it.

I was in the red group and loved passing some of the "elites." I don't care if they were having a bad day or injured. :)

Somehow all my wife's law school friends got in so I figured it was easy :noidea:

However I'm bumping this because I'm trying to be proactive about open water swim this time around. Our 70.3 is in 9 weeks and i haven't done it yet. Anyone know of good, safe areas to do in the Triangle or Triad? It would be awesome if those area had buoys or some other distance markers.

Ran a 5K with the wife and kiddos this weekend which is notable as I haven't really run at all since leaving the Army in 2014; we had a really great time. Pushing a double jogging stroller was...interesting. At least on the downhill I could hold on and let it carry me down a bit! I've been trying to run a little more over the last 6 weeks and hope to continue to keep it up through the fall.

bout to buy a new bike today after discovering a crack in my frame the week before the triathlon

what bikes are you goobers riding these days?

bout to buy a new bike today after discovering a crack in my frame the week before the triathlon

what bikes are you goobers riding these days?

what were you on before? what is most important to you? where do you see yourself riding two years from now?

I was on a steel Fuji from the 70s or 80s -- cracked along a seam where the fork and down tube connect

I was previously on a Felt F95 before it got stolen and the Fuji was a budget replacement while I was in school

Giving me an excuse to buy a Trek Emonda ALR 4 -- it's a 2018 model, so getting a hefty discount

Yeah, just about any bike at that price point will be about the same. Sometimes you can find something with 105 shifters/rear derailleur (rather than full tiagra gruppo), but if you keep the bike well-maintained (clean and lube your chain!! if you ride through crap, wash off your rims so you don't wear through wheels/break pads like crazy) there's no reason that won't be a great ride.

My current rides are all getting dusty in the garage; pregnancy is magic. Cyclocross season is upon us and my Giant TCX Pro that got built up last year will get no love. Womp womp.

yeah, I don't bike enough to justify dropping $2k, so getting all tiagra components under $1k is pretty peachy for me

Any advice on the best running shoes for big dudes? I’m increasing my mileage significantly in the past couple weeks and these bargain ASIC trail runners ain’t cutting it.

Buy a road bike and a trainer and then you can ride in your house or on the road.

I have a good road bike. Not looking for a trainer for a few reasons, but mainly because the spin bike is for a shared community workout space in my building.

Any advice on the best running shoes for big dudes? I’m increasing my mileage significantly in the past couple weeks and these bargain ASIC trail runners ain’t cutting it.

Go to Fleet Feet. Have them measure and map your feet and get some options. Shoes are very personal.

Go to Fleet Feet. Have them measure and map your feet and get some options. Shoes are very personal.

Agree. I've been running for most of the last 30 years and just did this a few weeks ago. Great technology and their recommendation was spot on...

Anyone have a hitch bike rack (4 bike rack) that they like over another? Or are they all pretty comparable when comparing Thule/Yakima/Saris?

Anyone have a hitch bike rack (4 bike rack) that they like over another? Or are they all pretty comparable when comparing Thule/Yakima/Saris?

I have a Yakima 5 hitch bike rack. 5 bikes are awfully tight, but I've done it (probably better suited for 4). However, it's rock solid and very, very easy to hook up to my car.

Back