• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help From Those Who Watched Django Unchained

09deaconX

Reaction score
I have a quick favor to ask the Pit. I'm in a negotiations class, and the prof is offering extra credit if we do a brief write up on a negotiation that happened in the movie Django Unchained. She said that you need to watch the movie to know what she's talking about, but there's a scene where apparently some frameworks we talked about in class can be applied.

Google searching has proved fruitless, and while I find her premise of extra credit dumb, I could use the points. Can somebody give me a brief rundown of the negotiation that occurred in the movie? Who was involved, what they wanted, and how the negotiation went down? If yes, then I see pos rep is in your immediate future.

IIRC Jamie Foxx's charachter (Django) and Christoph Waltz's character (Dr. Schulz) want to purchase the slave Broomhilda from Leo DiCaprio's character (Calvin Candie). Broomhilda is Django's wife, and Schulz suggests they come up with a ruse that they want to purchase a fighting slave instead and will add Broomhilda in later as an afterthought because the information that Broomhilda is Django's wife and the one they truly want would allow Candie to ask almost any price or even refuse. Candie discovers the ruse and his demands increase in order for them to purchase Broomhilda and even threatens to kill her if his demand isn't met.

ETA: Not sure if that triggers any frameworks from your discussions, that is the big picture outline of that plot line... there were also minor details about the negotiations for the fighting slave.

Last edited:
IIRC Jamie Foxx's charachter (Django) and Christoph Waltz's character (Dr. Schulz) want to purchase the slave Broomhilda from Leo DiCaprio's character (Calvin Candie). Broomhilda is Django's wife, and Schulz suggests they come up with a ruse that they want to purchase a fighting slave instead and will add Broomhilda in later as an afterthought because the information that Broomhilda is Django's wife and the one they truly want would allow Candie to ask almost any price or even refuse. Candie discovers the ruse and his demands increase in order for them to purchase Broomhilda and even threatens to kill her if his demand isn't met.

ETA: Not sure if that triggers any frameworks from your discussions, that is the major outline of that plot line... there were also minor details about the negotiations for the fighting slave.

No no, this is perfect for my needs. Thanks!

ETA: Not sure if that triggers any frameworks from your discussions, that is the big picture outline of that plot line... there were also minor details about the negotiations for the fighting slave.

Also they offer an obscene amount of money ($12,000 if I remember correctly) to make it so it would be impossible for Candie to say no.

are you in law school?

Business school - this is an elective course not tied to my majors. Great experiential learning since we're negotiating deals each class for 60-90 minutes...the rest of the class though is pretty meh.

Thanks again for the help.

Some more thoughts

-The negotiation hinged on Dr. Schulz and Broomhilda's shared ability to speak the German language. This is what got Broomhilda out of 'the box'. Why else would Dr. Schulz take an interest in Broomhilda?

-The negotiation would have gone a lot better if Django and Broomhilda hid their feelings from Candie at the dinner table. Candie is very lucky he had Samuel L. Jackson's character (Stephen) recognize these feelings immediately and relay them to Candie.

Back