• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

President to announce Bin Laden is Dead

One of the main Pub attack points against a Dem president is that he is weak on national security. That's going to be a much tougher sell against the man in charge when OBL was killed.

Kudos to the President of The United States, the CIA Director Leon Pannetta, and the incredible SEALS and support staff who pulled off this mission.

A "risk" taken by Obama and a moment of leadership we have all clamored for.The decision to strike that deep within Pakistan (a sovereign country with nuclear weapons and precious little resolve to get after jihadist organizations) could have proved as disastrous as the attempt to free the American hostages in Iran.

Come tuesday we can get back to politics as usual but today we say
"Hail to the Chief!"

Pakistan has some 'splainin to do.

This is a good day to be an American.

How long will it be before the idiot brigade comes up with the conspiracy that since the body was thrown out at sea that we can't actually prove anymore that it was Bin Laden.

A couple of things

1) Can a mod negrep Bin Ladin for using chicks as human shields?
2) Props to the Prez for not doing the airstrike when we knew he was there in March. It took some balls to wait so we could have a body.
3) WTF Pakistan!

Also, how sweet that it was a good old fashion Seal Team 6 action instead of a predator drone. There's a personal element to it that a Seal probably got to look Bin Laden in the eye before shooting him. Vengeance.

Serious props to the intelligence community for providing good intel, and to the president for having the stones to order the mission into Pakistan.

Unless word comes out later that we notified Pakistani leadership ahead of time and got their cooperation on this, our relations with Pakistan are pretty much kaput after last night. Bin Laden was living in a gated community surrounded by Pakistani military officials. Not good.

Pakistan has some 'splainin to do.

This is a good day to be an American.

How long will it be before the idiot brigade comes up with the conspiracy that since the body was thrown out at sea that we can't actually prove anymore that it was Bin Laden.

Facebook comment I just saw: "Why such a quick burial at sea? I am prone to think this is all made up to boost his polls...no body, no proof! I wonder if he will take the credit for the retaliation that is sure to come our way."

And no, she wasn't kidding.

The real story of this operation is the fact that the CIA finally is back to kicking ass and taking names.

Apparently the information gathered for this op can be traced all the way back to KSM's capture...the courier for Obama was the key and KSM told us about him first in 2004.

Amazing what the CIA can do if given the time and resources...

The real story of this operation is the fact that the CIA finally is back to kicking ass and taking names.

Apparently the information gathered for this op can be traced all the way back to KSM's capture...the courier for Obama was the key and KSM told us about him first in 2004.

Amazing what the CIA can do if given the time and resources...

Agreed. Something tells me any more attacks against the U.S. will be a huge mistake with Panetta as Secretary of Defense.

LOL at Dick Cheney not giving Obama any credit.

LOL at Dick Cheney not giving Obama any credit.

"The death of Osama bin Laden at the hands of American forces is a victory for the United States and a tremendous achievement for the military and intelligence professionals who carried out this important mission. Their tireless work since 9/11 has made this achievement possible, and enabled us to capture or kill thousands of al Qaeda terrorists and many of their leaders. I also want to congratulate President Obama and the members of his national security team. At this moment when bin Laden has been brought to justice, we especially remember the sacrifice of the young Americans who've paid the ultimate price in defense of the nation, as well as the nearly 3000 Americans who lost their lives on 9/11. Al Qaeda remains a dangerous enemy. Though bin Laden is dead, the war goes on. We must remain vigilant, especially now, and we must continue to support our men and women in uniform who are fighting on the front lines of this war every day. Today, the message our forces have sent is clear -- if you attack the United States, we will find you and bring you to justice."

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/dick-cheney/2011/05/02/dick-cheney-statement-bin-laden-death#ixzz1LCrn90lZ

Ah, good catch. I only caught the text that Fox News put up on the screen. They conveniently omitted that part.

Ah, good catch. I only caught the text that Fox News put up on the screen. They conveniently omitted that part.

Kind of like how President Obama conveniently said it was his idea to kill Osama last night?

Kind of like how President Obama conveniently said it was his idea to kill Osama last night?

He would be correct. From everything I've read it was his idea to carry out the operation at that time. Of course the idea to "kill Bin Laden" has been around for a decade and Bush would have absolutely taken the shot had it presented itself as this one did.

Agreed. Something tells me any more attacks against the U.S. will be a huge mistake with Panetta as Secretary of Defense.

Joke?

Panetta's an empty suit. He's not a defense/intel guy at all.

Congress, OMB, WH Chief of Staff does not a defense expert make.

Gates was as experienced as you can get. Great choice by Bush.

I'm interested to know just how involved the CIA was in this. Sounds like the majority of their contribution was following a message boy. I'd like to know where they were when this compound was being built in a very accessible part of the country. He should have been found long before this ... or maybe he was.

He would be correct. From everything I've read it was his idea to carry out the operation at that time. Of course the idea to "kill Bin Laden" has been around for a decade and Bush would have absolutely taken the shot had it presented itself as this one did.

But the operation itself wasn't his idea, was it? He's not claiming he invented the Internet, but he's clearly taking some license to present this as he is.

If it had been up to Obama and his supporters, this would be a police action and we would have withdrawn in 2006. Not saying that would have been right or wrong, just saying it how it was then.

Back