• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do conservatives still want Chris Christie?

The political leanings of my wife (that have vastly evolved thanks to her audience with me) are about 5000 on the list of barriers between me and poontang. 1-4000 are diapers.

No doubt referring to the holiest of holies as "poontang" is 4001-4999.

social conservative/TP candidate wins Iowa
Christie wins New Hampshire

Who wins SC and does it lead to momentum for the other primaries?

I'm pretty interested in how this month's high jinks will shape the party going forward. There are an awful lot of moderate R's who are disgusted with their party right now and hopefully won't stand for another far-right, TP-controlled primary process.

social conservative/TP candidate wins Iowa
Christie wins New Hampshire

Who wins SC and does it lead to momentum for the other primaries?

Tough to see Christie winning SC. Hell, tough to see a moderate Republican (or just any non-TPer) winning a single state in the south in the Republican primary.

Tough to see Christie winning SC. Hell, tough to see a moderate Republican (or just any non-TPer) winning a single state in the south in the Republican primary.

Moderates won the last two nominations, no?

The assumption seems to be that Christie isn't going to kowtow to the far right like McCain and Romney did.

not sure that contradicts his point:

Southern State winners in 2012

SC: Gingrich
GA: Gingrich
TN: Santorum
AL: Santorum
MS: Romney (narrowly)
LA: Santorum

Santorum exits the Race April 10th and Gingrich April 28th, all other southern primaries are after these dates (and Santorum/Gingrich still receive significant votes)

The big question is where the money will go for Republicans. If the money goes to Christie, he'll be the favorite. If the money stays away from Christie, he may not last long.

Cruz has "will stand up for conservative principles and will not back down" on his resume. That's going to mean something to the Republican base.

The big question is where the money will go for Republicans. If the money goes to Christie, he'll be the favorite. If the money stays away from Christie, he may not last long.

Cruz has "will stand up for conservative principles and will not back down" on his resume. That's going to mean something to the Republican base.

Maybe. With two more years to be reckless, he could step on a lot more toes. I guess he will get the NC GOP money.

Everyone talks about the TPers splintering off and forming their own party but is their a chance the moderates splinter off and form their own party? I would think guys like Christie, Walker, Jeb Bush would have more national appeal than Cruz, Bachman and Palin.

Everyone talks about the TPers splintering off and forming their own party but is their a chance the moderates splinter off and form their own party? I would think guys like Christie, Walker, Jeb Bush would have more national appeal than Cruz, Bachman and Palin.

I think the TPers would want the new "outsider" brand.

That said, Christie would be a great Bull-Moose nominee.

I think the TPers would want the new "outsider" brand.

That said, Christie would be a great Bull-Moose nominee.

I don't know...seems like the Bull Mose was formed to fight guys like Christie :)

William+Howard+Taft.jpg

Big conservative money would follow the moderates. Very few major conservative donors from big business, Wall Street, or Silicon Valley will chose the Tea Party over GOP moderates. GOP Govs with 2016 aspirations (Christie, Walker, Kasich) now have a huge advantage over the wannabes from Congress (Cruz, Lee, Paul, Rubio): they're DC outsiders and they had nothing to do with the Obamacare/debt care shut down (let alone ending up on the losing/wrong side). Jeb would be well-positioned if he had a different last name, but he can't run as an outsider with that last name. If he were interested, Mitch Daniels could potentially be a white knight.

Palin and Bachmann have completely crashed and burned. Palin endorsed that witch chick in 2010 for Senate, but never campaigned with her in Delaware since she was a sure loser. Palin took on a kamakazi mission in New Jersey-Booker was up by double-digits and Palin's appearance didn't make a dent in the race. Christie's up by 30 in the same state and never campaigned with Lonegan. Cooch is hardly moderate, but even he doesn't want Palin to campaign for him in VA. Bachmann's so toxic that she doesn't have even a Fox gig lined up yet. It's all about moral victories for those two now.

Back