• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do conservatives still want Chris Christie?

He said each of those things once. He repeated about his butt hurting.

A great way for him to have handled it was, "If you lie to me. I can fire you and it will hurt. What I cannot accept is them so wantonly and gleefully harming the people of NJ. There is no excuse for this.

It's not about how they disappointed me. This all about how they hurt the people of NJ and NY."

The other positive about that type of answer is the PC would have ended about an hour sooner. :)

Glenn Beck: "The Fat and the Furious" LOL

If I was the Mayor of Ft. Lee and Christie came to see me, I'd start out with, "I own your ass. Here's what I want."

LOL. He's a little fish in a small pond who is getting his 15 minutes. He has zero influence on how this scandal is handled or the outcomes of the multiple investigations that are coming.

what a bunch of dumbasses to plan their political retribution by email on government computers. Come on. Rahm Emanuel would never cut somebody's political nuts and leave an e-trail. Amateurs.

Curiously, a lot of the e-mails were printouts from GMail accounts. Not sure how those would get out or even be accessible via a FOIA request.

Curiously, a lot of the e-mails were printouts from GMail accounts. Not sure how those would get out or even be accessible via a FOIA request.

From what I heard, your personal email is subject to public records laws if you conduct state business with it

shit, so the NSA's been checking out all the times i linked the hot chicks thread to my ambassador friends??

From what I heard, your personal email is subject to public records laws if you conduct state business with it

Google has also made a big move in government - entire branches are now using gmail as their sole email provider. GSA, State Department, and a few more have all gone through big migrations.

Also, the computers these guys are using are likely government issue and using their government internet service. At my last job we installed a security product that looked a lot like those raw screen grabs where you can see the gmail logo. Essentially it captures all network traffic and then it can recreate the physical appearance of each page on screen. It's badass. You can just search for any iframe/page with a gmail http address and a typical mail string (a "to" address or full name for example) and it will actually regenerate and open the page in a normal browser and you can just scroll through them and search for text.

We had to fire an employee once and needed information from a web chat session he had with a vendor once and we used it. Crazy stuff.

Christie's fired 4 people, essentially destroying their careers. Christie's betting that none of them will dispute Christie's account, a Dem-led NJ investigation won't turn up any new contradictory evidence, his GOP challengers won't make this a primary issue, and that the Dems won't make it a general election issue. That's a lot of moving parts. All this with a new political team because his current team isn't ready for prime time even after two winning statewide elections in the nation's largest media market. Could be that he's completely clean and will sail through untouched, but that's not very likely. He's going to have to be squeaky clean for the next two years.

The bolded part is a very important observation. Christie has handled this incident about as well as he could, but if one of those people blows up on him and takes to airing dirty laundry it could get ugly. Those 4 people were high up in his inner circle and they know where all the skeletons are buried - they could cause him problems totally unrelated to this particular incident.

The bolded part is a very important observation. Christie has handled this incident about as well as he could, but if one of those people blows up on him and takes to airing dirty laundry it could get ugly. Those 4 people were high up in his inner circle and they know where all the skeletons are buried - they could cause him problems totally unrelated to this particular incident.

My father in law (huge democrat) were talking about this last night in the car. In our opinion Christie has handled this situation about as well as he could from the point everything went public. The one HUGE issue that Christie will have the in the future is if there is any evidence of his involvement in the decision making he will be borderline unelectable at that point. By coming out strong, apologizing and staking his innocence in the matter he has opened himself up IF he was involved. If he wasn't involved then I think this entire debacle will have zero impact on his run for presidency. If he is involved and it comes out, he will get destroyed (and rightfully so).

I love that he didn't sugarcoat the situation, but there is a reason that politicians sugarcoat these sort of ordeals. The use obscure language for a purpose...to give them an out in the future. You can guarantee if there is dirt to be had on this, that it will come out. The Clintons have to know at this point that Christie is the only candidate that can beat her in 2016. They are going to put the full court press on Christie to try and turn something up.

Another wild card is Christie's Chief of Staff. Christie's nominated that guy to be Attorney General and confirmation hearings start next week. Maybe the Deputy Chief of Staff went totally rogue, but seems like a risk and conflict of interest to have another link to his staff as AG. Don't think an independent counsel looking into the affair is in Christie's best interests unless he's absolutely squeaky clean. Looks bad if he dumps the guy now, but he may not have any good options.

My father in law (huge democrat) were talking about this last night in the car. In our opinion Christie has handled this situation about as well as he could from the point everything went public. The one HUGE issue that Christie will have the in the future is if there is any evidence of his involvement in the decision making he will be borderline unelectable at that point. By coming out strong, apologizing and staking his innocence in the matter he has opened himself up IF he was involved. If he wasn't involved then I think this entire debacle will have zero impact on his run for presidency. If he is involved and it comes out, he will get destroyed (and rightfully so).

I love that he didn't sugarcoat the situation, but there is a reason that politicians sugarcoat these sort of ordeals. The use obscure language for a purpose...to give them an out in the future. You can guarantee if there is dirt to be had on this, that it will come out. The Clintons have to know at this point that Christie is the only candidate that can beat her in 2016. They are going to put the full court press on Christie to try and turn something up.

It also sets the precedent that anybody who runs afoul in his administration has to go. Down the road, that could be a lot of people.

You don't need evidence anymore. You just have your CPAC imply something, shrug your shoulders, and don't comment on the issue.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/01/a-defense-of-chris-christie-courtesy-of-the-nsa/282971/

Take a page from the NSA:

The NSA-inspired explanation:

Going after a political rival is wrong, to be sure, but it's important to put this event in context.
There are almost 9 million people in New Jersey, and only one was targeted for retribution, an impressively tiny error rate lower than .001 percent.
Did a Christie staffer delay thousands of people? Not wittingly. Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich was the only target of non-compliant behavior. No other Fort Lee resident was ever targeted for retribution, and any delays that any Fort Lee resident experienced were totally inadvertent and incidental.
This is so despite the fact that an email shows a Christie aide being warned that Fort Lee children would be affected by the lane closures. They were one hop away from Mayor Sokolich, and thus part of the one instance of non-compliance.
The bridge closure was vital to national security because [redacted].
Since the George Washington Bridge is a potential terrorist target, everything that may or may not have happened near it is a state secret. Adjudicating this controversy on the merits would threaten national security.
A panel will be formed to figure out how to restore the public's faith in Chris Christie.

there is no way this issues makes him unelectable, especially not in 3 years. most people will forget about this

One scream made Howard Dean unelectable.

yeah, dean turned himself into a self-made cartoon gif

this is a fuck up by aides that he promptly addressed (so far, anyway). you need a phrase or a single soundbite to bury him with this

Last edited:
You don't need evidence anymore. You just have your CPAC imply something, shrug your shoulders, and don't comment on the issue.

Yeah, but that won't affect anyone but people who weren't going to vote for Christie anyway. Shoot, Tea Party Republicans will probably chuckle under their breath if one of the Pubs attacks Christie on this. In the general if there isn't hard evidence I don't think it plays all that well. Primaries this might be a benefit to Christie (as crazy as that sounds).

Back