• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do conservatives still want Chris Christie?

Funny, if the Democrats had somebody like Christie who was solidly in support of most democratic policies but worked with the other side to get things done, and was a bit of a loose cannon, they would be fawning all over him and gearing him up for a 2016 run. Just shows how stupid and out of touch the core Republican base is. I'd vote for somebody like Christie in a heartbeat, but the Republicans want to make sure they have a "true" conservative or somebody they can mold to follow their agenda.

I would say that's an actual conservative, not an actual Republican. And speaking for myself, yes, I would love for Christie to be president. Not surprising that his chances are fading when the current GOP consists of morons like DODO and 89deaconmike and doofuses like Go. This board is a sampling of (mostly) alumni from what's supposed to be a top-25 university in the country, and the collective IQ and political savvy demonstrated by the conservative bloc here equates to that of a watermelon. It makes me sick to read this board most the time, and perfectly encapsulates why the GOP is a smoldering pile of crap at the moment.

Christie expanding Medicare is hardly a conservative move. I still like the guy but how is that even remotely conservative?

This is a damn message board, not some kind of political science think tank.

The current GOP is fucked because we can't seem to find a candidate who is sensible in promoting conservatism and the party lacks any sense of a majority stance when it comes to the social issues. Until the GOP moderates on social and becomes more conservative on the fiscal side, they/we will be a minority party.

Name calling is beneath you, esp when you never contribute to any discussions on the political board.

Besides a better personality and being much much fatter, how is Christie politically different than Mitt Romney. Gov of a blue state, works across the aisle, makes bad healthcare decisions.

Christie cannot win a national race, I want someone who can win and handle the debacle that is the PPACA when it is implemented fully. But as of today, no incumbent deserves a vote in my opinion.

Christie expanding Medicare is hardly a conservative move. I still like the guy but how is that even remotely conservative?

This is a damn message board, not some kind of political science think tank.

The current GOP is fucked because we can't seem to find a candidate who is sensible in promoting conservatism and the party lacks any sense of a majority stance when it comes to the social issues. Until the GOP moderates on social and becomes more conservative on the fiscal side, they/we will be a minority party.

Name calling is beneath you, esp when you never contribute to any discussions on the political board.

Well, God fucking forbid that he do what he thinks is best for his state and his people rather than towing the GOP line and clutching to conservatism with his cold, dead fingers. Bring out the fucking firing squad. That's the problem with the whole damn GOP in a nutshell: nobody gives a damn about what's in the best interest of the country or good governance, if it originated from Obama or violates some sacrosanct "conservative" principle, then you vote against it. Hagel for Sec of Defense? Filibuster. Raise taxes? Dig in your heels. Gun control? Howl at the moon.

It's the same shit we saw with Christie back when Sandy hit and all the GOP crybabies had their panties in a bunch over Christie *gasp* working with Obama. WGAF about the people who have been displaced, lost their homes, don't have power and water, when you could have zinged Obama by snubbing him? What's the welfare of millions of people compared with a 5-second soundbite to help out the Romney campaign? It makes me sick. You want to win a national election, get a platform other than 1. Obama's evil, 2. Everything Obama does is evil, 3. Lower taxes!; embrace the Huntsmans and Christies of the world; and use some common fucking sense once in a while.

Anyway, as I said in rep, nothing personal, and I apologize for name-calling. The current state of the GOP disgusts me.

Last edited:
Well, God fucking forbid that he do what he thinks is best for his state and his people rather than towing the GOP line and clutching to conservatism with his cold, dead fingers. Bring out the fucking firing squad. That's the problem with the whole damn GOP in a nutshell: nobody gives a damn about what's in the best interest of the country or good governance, if it originated from Obama or violates some sacrosanct "conservative" principle, then you vote against it. Hagel for Sec of Defense? Filibuster. Raise taxes? Dig in your heels. Gun control? Howl at the moon.

It's the same shit we saw with Christie back when Sandy hit and all the GOP crybabies had their panties in a bunch over Christie *gasp* working with Obama. WGAF about the people who have been displaced, lost their homes, don't have power and water, when you could have zinged Obama by snubbing him? What's the welfare of millions of people compared with a 5-second soundbite to help out the Romney campaign? It makes me sick. You want to win a national election, get a platform other than 1. Obama's evil, 2. Everything Obama does is evil, 3. Lower taxes!; embrace the Huntsmans and Christies of the world; and use some common fucking sense once in a while.

Anyway, as I said in rep, nothing personal, and I apologize for name-calling. The current state of the GOP disgusts me.

It's not just the current state, Republicans have irresponsibly given an outsized voice to the far right for decades.

And I know he's fat but I don't think Christie is big enough to tow the entire party.

Wow I'm a little smitten with Christie now that the lunatic fringe is denouncing him.

Hate to ruin your image of Christie fans, but there are plenty of people who aren't "lunatic fringe" who like him. I like the fact that he has been willing to make necessary but unpopular changes in order to try to right NJ's finances. We need politicians like that. I also like the fact that he was very open in his appreciation of Obama's support after Sandy and didn't play the typical bullshit political games.

Are those people in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina?

This is all you need to know about CPA:

Allen West and Sarah Palin - good and intelligent
Chris Christie - Bad

Are there enough?

Just saying the plenty of people don't matter if they're not in the right place.

I love his fat ass, but in today's political landscape I'm a moderate so I guess I don't count.

Conservatives never did really want him...at least not anymore than they were throwing everybody's name out as a candidate during the run-up to 2012 simply because no candidate was particularly satisfying.

What conservatives have generally liked about him is that he doesn't take shit from the press or from the unions and he actually has the ability to articulate the reasons why he isn't going to take their shit.

Conservatives never did really want him...at least not anymore than they were throwing everybody's name out as a candidate during the run-up to 2012 simply because no candidate was particularly satisfying.

What conservatives have generally liked about him is that he doesn't take shit from the press or from the unions and he actually has the ability to articulate the reasons why he isn't going to take their shit.

And this will play beautifully in a primary. Christie will run over some hippie reporter and the super right will love him for it. Meanwhile the middle will continue to support him bc we know he is exactly what the Republican party needs.

Back