• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do conservatives still want Chris Christie?

It's not some "conspiracy theory." It's exactly what happens in a primary. History has shown that moderate candidates (Romney, McCain) must tack HARD to the right to get through the primary. I don't see why it would be any different with Christie. His primary opponents will hammer him on his moderate stances, and the far right voters (who are mostly the ones voting in primaries) won't like his answers if he sticks to his guns.

He can tack right and still win the election. That is the difference. Romney didn't lose because he tacked right. He lost because people compared him to Obama and didn't like the contrast. The middle of the country doesn't vote on issues. They vote on popularity. That is the reality of our current political set up. 90% of the country votes party affiliation based mainly on issues. The 10% that decides national elections votes on momentum and popularity. Obviously if you have a nutcase compared to a solid candidate then popularity won't matter. But by the time people are voting for President the issues all look about the same. I mean look at the last debate between Obama and Romney. They each had a hard time figuring out where they differed from each other. They kept agreeing with the other candidate.

Christie can tack right on some issues, and then on others he had the personality to withstand the heat, and not only survive but change minds. He is a very persuasive candidate. Ya'll are fooling yourselves. If he wants in 2016 it is his.

everyone always mentions rubio and christie for '16. thoughts on someone like scott walker?

I like Gov Walker, know some people who work for him and they love the guy. I don't think he's got the gravitas.

But the reality is that Liberals are a bit scared of Christie. As evidenced by the fact that many of you have advised him to come over to your side. First it was Christie will piss everyone off because he is too brash, now it is he will piss off the conservatives and will never get through the primaries. Christie is a legitimate threat for the presidency, and because Democrats have failed to find a true weakness to his platform they are banking on a conspiracy theory about Republican primaries. 3 years from now assuming Christie continues to do exactly what he has done so far as Governor of New Jersey, he will be the front runner for the Republican primaries. If he runs I believe wholeheartedly he wins in a route. This year it was pretty obvious that Romney was going to win. I believe it will be just as self evident come 2015.

What do you mean by "scared?" I am scared of dangerous right-wing ideologues. Christie is a right-leaning pragmatist. The country could do a lot worse than Chris Christie. As a matter of fact, it did a lot worse than him in 2000 and 2004. That's the type of Republican that scares me.

The reality is if Hillary runs none of this matters. She will spend the next four years doing good deeds and creating chits she will cash in 2016.

She could win as big or even bigger than Obama did in 2008.

Yeah he never scared me either. I always thought he was a condescending asshole, which he and I have in common, and that that would prevent him from winning a national election (which it has me too).

I was sorta starting to come around a little on him for scaring off the lunatics on the far right with some centrist/pragmatist positions. But now that I see Wrangor is polishing his rocket over Christie, I'm kinda turned off.

What do you mean by "scared?" I am scared of dangerous right-wing ideologues. Christie is a right-leaning pragmatist. The country could do a lot worse than Chris Christie. As a matter of fact, it did a lot worse than him in 2000 and 2004. That's the type of Republican that scares me.

Scared meaning that he could win. Not scared as in you are wetting the bed. I couldn't think of a better term than scared (it actually reminds me of the 'liberals are scared of Sarah Palin threads' which is NOT what I am trying to communicate). The reality is that Christie would have a great shot at winning in 2016 no matter who runs for the Democrats (even if it is RJ's golden girl). Because of this I expect there to be a lot of articles written that talk about some sort of flaw in Christie (personal flaws, flaws within his party, his party's acceptance of him, etc....) from now until the primaries begin. We have already seen a small snippet on this board in the past 6 months. It is going to get worse and worse because Christie has what it takes. I guess that is my point. But no, I do not believe that Democrats are actually shivering in their boots out of fright.

The reality is if Hillary runs none of this matters. She will spend the next four years doing good deeds and creating chits she will cash in 2016.

She could win as big or even bigger than Obama did in 2008.

My point proven. Yet RJ will spend a good bit of time between now and 2015 convincing himself first that Christie can't win the nomination, and then that he can't beat Hillary. It is a pretty consistent pattern. Mitt Romney was every liberals lovable pet until he decided to run for president. Then he was the most biggest worst deplorable liar since Richard Nixon. Christie's pattern among Democrats will be no different. Right now it is that his own party doesn't accept him. A year from now he will have started to change and tack right. Once the election comes around he will have sold out. The reality is that he will not have changed that much, it will simply be his proximity to the Oval Office that has changed.

My point proven. Yet RJ will spend a good bit of time between now and 2015 convincing himself first that Christie can't win the nomination, and then that he can't beat Hillary. It is a pretty consistent pattern. Mitt Romney was every liberals lovable pet until he decided to run for president. Then he was the most biggest worst deplorable liar since Richard Nixon. Christie's pattern among Democrats will be no different. Right now it is that his own party doesn't accept him. A year from now he will have started to change and tack right. Once the election comes around he will have sold out. The reality is that he will not have changed that much, it will simply be his proximity to the Oval Office that has changed.

images

What are you talking about? Most "liberals" saw Romney as the loser he was before he ran this time. Before he ran this time, the biggest knock on Romney was that he is a liar and opportunist who will say anything if he thinks it will help him win at something.

Romney is the biggest and worst liar to run for POTUS since Nixon from either major party.

Christie's problem isn't Dems. It's Republicans. They hate that he doesn't hate Obama more than he wants to help the people of NJ. To today's GOP, that is a mortal sin.

At this point, he would be their best candidate. But he still wouldn't come close to Hillary.

Romney actually did change a lot... Tried to run for the senate on Kennedy's left, governed MA in a pragmatic across-the-aisle manner early on (had some interesting planning ideas), stopped doing that, and then ran in the 2008 primaries as a culture warrior more than anything else (why?).

Wrangor is really getting bent out of shape about this. It's kind of bizarre. I even got a retaliatory neg rep from him. Maybe Shoo was right.

I always retaliate neg rep. The only time I ever give out neg rep (except once I think I gave BKF one for disgracing the great state of Mississippi :) ). I am not bent out of shape whatsoever. Just discussing. I have lost the ability to get emotional concerning politics. It is actually a really nice result to being a part of these boards for a decade.

Edited to add - the tough part about the current make up of the board is that most of the active members are liberals. So every time I (or a conservative) attempts to enter a discussion I am forced to converse with 4 or 5 people at once. This comes off as being super aggressive about a subject when in actuality I am just trying to make my point. No worries mate. All is well.

Last edited:
Steve Schmidt (McCain Campaign Manager) says the CPAC Convention reminds him of the "Star Wars bar scene minus the wookies."

I always retaliate neg rep. The only time I ever give out neg rep (except once I think I gave BKF one for disgracing the great state of Mississippi :) ). I am not bent out of shape whatsoever. Just discussing. I have lost the ability to get emotional concerning politics. It is actually a really nice result to being a part of these boards for a decade.

Edited to add - the tough part about the current make up of the board is that most of the active members are liberals. So every time I (or a conservative) attempts to enter a discussion I am forced to converse with 4 or 5 people at once. This comes off as being super aggressive about a subject when in actuality I am just trying to make my point. No worries mate. All is well.

You're coming off as super aggressive because you're saying stuff like "you guys are scared" "you're foaming at the mouth" etc. What point are you trying to make?

That is a good point BKF. And goes to show that none onus really know what will happen.

The people who will wind up being the most scared of Christie will be the Republican rightwing conservatives, not liberals. Those people place a higher priority on losing control of the Republican Party tan they do on losing an election.

Once again I agree. And there are people like this in both parties. I hope we scare those sort of people every election cycle.

Back