• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do conservatives still want Chris Christie?

I really cannot believe that the rupublican party would actually "double down" in 2016 and go for some super conservative like Rubio, Jindel, etc. I mean how much plainer does the writing on the wall need to be that its gonna take somebody like Christie to get them the White House back? Even then its no slam dunk. If Hillary is on the opposing side and the economy is in good shape, the task is almost impossible no matter who runs.

I can remember when another northeastern Republican from a blue state was supposed to be the guy who could glue the Republican Party back together...Rudy Guiliani. He certainly had a positive high profile after 9/11. Look how quickly his star fell when the rightwing Republican fanatics realized he was a threat to get the nomination.

I've thought about him too during this discussion. I think what hurt Giuliani more than his politics was the time between 9/11 and the 08 election. Unfortunately for him he didnt really do much between that time. He was kind of caught in a no win situation. He had to resign as Mayor, he wanted to be President, and there was kind of an awkward gap in time in between so he couldnt run for another office (especially since everyone knew he wanted the Presidency). If Giuliani could've run in 04 the guy wins in a landslide.

the 2014 midterms may play into this. say the GOP gains a few seats in the House, not at all unlikely since the President is a Democrat. Then they interpret it as some radical shift of the electorate to the right, f up the nomination, lose again in 2016

Looking at Christie, he'd lose Iowa, win New Hampshire, who knows about SC

Steve Schmidt (McCain Campaign Manager) says the CPAC Convention reminds him of the "Star Wars bar scene minus the wookies."

Clearly he's never been to the Democratic National Convention.

The reality is if Hillary runs none of this matters. She will spend the next four years doing good deeds and creating chits she will cash in 2016.

She could win as big or even bigger than Obama did in 2008.

I agree, this country no longer pays attention to anything.

Clearly he's never been to the Democratic National Convention.

Ah yes. That's how Republicans view "diversity".

Romney lost because he was an arrogant, hypocritical jackass who stood for nothing other than wanting to be president... and the voters realized that he would say or do anything to try to accomplish that goal.

I mean, how bad is it when a guy running for president makes $21 million/year as a vulture capitalist, refuses to reveal his tax returns, and comes right out and states that he doesn't give a flying fuck about 47% of the people in the country?

That was kind of my point. He didn't finish 2nd because he catered to the right. He lost because people just didn't like him as much as they liked Obama. For probably the reasons you stated and some other things. But it wasn't policy that killed his run, it was likeability.

What? His 47% statement is policy. His self-deportation was policy. His constant lies (Etch -A Sketch) was policy.

I agree, this country no longer pays attention to anything.

I think they pay attention, but the GOP's numbers are shrinking as it pursues its path to ultra conservatism. You gotta have some moderates and they are going either to the Dems or Libertarians. Heck some hated Roms so much they didn't even bother to vote. If the GOP can't add some minorities to its numbers, whether they are latinos or asians they could be out in the wilderness for quite a while.

That was kind of my point. He didn't finish 2nd because he catered to the right. He lost because people just didn't like him as much as they liked Obama. For probably the reasons you stated and some other things. But it wasn't policy that killed his run, it was likeability.

That's usually the case in presidential elections. Bush was totally incompetent, but he was more likeable than Gore or Kerry. The fact that people found Obama more likeable than Romney REALLY says something about Romney's likeability factor.

Whether some people want to admit it was an issue or not, most Americans don't like a guy running for president who is making $21 million and refusing to show his tax returns.

You're right. People found Obama more likeable than Romney for a variety of reasons. Wealth envy and his refusal to release his tax returns were just two of them.

Yes it is...people didn't envy his wealth. They disliked his arrogance and dismissive attitude towards those who are rich. That's a huge difference.

Last edited:
Envy is a basic human emotion. There will always be people who are envious of those who have something they don't have but wish they did. They don't need a political party to tell them what or who to envy.

I agree with you. People disliked Romney for a variety of reasons, among them those that you mentioned. But also among those reasons, for some people, is the fact that he is rich and they a not.

Romney's problems were bigger than just wealth and envy. McCain forgot how many houses he owned, and people didn't dislike him as much as Romney. There was just a bizarre cluelessness and awkwardness to Romney. Tearing down a 3K house so he could build a 12K house, Swiss bank accounts, a dressage horse named Rafalco, not realizing that everything he said in public would be recorded. He had absolutely no clue how that stuff would be viewed. Bush Sr and the "mysterious" check out scanner, Kerry windsurfing, Obama's "guns and religion"-all of those were poorly received and Mitt learned nothing from very publicized mistakes in prior campaigns. People couldn't relate to him and his social awkwardness didn't help either.

Envy is a basic human emotion. There will always be people who are envious of those who have something they don't have but wish they did. They don't need a political party to tell them what or who to envy.

I agree with you. People disliked Romney for a variety of reasons, among them those that you mentioned. But also among those reasons, for some people, is the fact that he is rich and they a not.

Envy wasn't in the Top 10 or probably the Top 20 reasons. It's a myth the RW press has tried to make believable.

Envy wasn't in the Top 10 or probably the Top 20 reasons. It's a myth the RW press has tried to make believable.

Could you please provide a link to polling data showing the Top 20 reasons why people didn't like Romney. I'd be curious to see if you're right. Also, which RW publications tried to make wealth envy believable? Could you please link to a few of those articles?

Thanks.

Back