• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do conservatives still want Chris Christie?

What an asinine bill. Gay conversion therapy sounds asinine too, but banning it by governmental action? Really? Why not let the market for the charlatans run its course?

I guess he scores points with the knee-jerk "socially liberal/fiscally conservative" crowd, but not with the wannabe libertarian streak in the republican party.

Meh. Maybe he just did it to piss off Rand Paul.

or maybe he's striking down a horribly immoral practice that fucks people up?

It sounds like you are saying "pubs are crazy, Christie is a pub, therefore Christie is crazy and the country will go to hell in a hand basket if he is elected."

I'm saying that's incorrect because we've already seen how Christie governs. The syllogism isn't true--he's not a crazy pub.

Didn't we also see how McCrory governs?

What an asinine bill. Gay conversion therapy sounds asinine too, but banning it by governmental action? Really? Why not let the market for the charlatans run its course?

I guess he scores points with the knee-jerk "socially liberal/fiscally conservative" crowd, but not with the wannabe libertarian streak in the republican party.

Meh. Maybe he just did it to piss off Rand Paul.

Because it harms children according to medical professional.

I guess you'd be OK with having lead paint on cribs, not telling anyone how harmful it is to babies and letting the market decide after the deaths of kids.

Yeah, because the law will obviously stop parents of homosexuals who want to try to "turn" their kids from taking any steps to do so. If the parents are of that mindset, the kids are going to be fucked up regardless.

can't change bad parenting with legislature, might as well do nothing at all?

The collumnist suggested that maybe Christie was siding with the Jets coach over the reporter because "they both have undergone lap-band surgery the past couple of years, maybe it's some kind of Lap-Band of Brothers deal."

You rarely see a well done new fat joke.

Moderator Kristine Johnson of WCBS asked both candidates to say one nice thing nice about the other. Buono snapped sarcastically: “Well, he’s good on late-night TV; he’s not so good in New Jersey.”

Her supporters greeted the line with “whoos” and howls of laughter and applause. As Buono stood at the podium with a self-satisfied grin on her face, they probably expected Christie to respond with one of those trademark tirades he often reserves for his most in-your-face hecklers.

But the governor had a surprise in store: “She’s obviously a good and caring mother and someone who cares deeply about public service in this state, ’cause she’s dedicated a lot of her life to it,” he said. “And while we have policy disagreements, Kristine, I would never denigrate her service.”

Added Christie: “We need more people who care about our communities to stand up and do the job she’s done over the last 20 years.” As the audience replied with sustained applause and cheering, the smile slowly — but very surely — vanished from Buono’s face.

Link

That dude is good... Too bad the Palin / Cruz / Bachman wing (that votes in primaries) will not stand for him.

The only Christie has a shot is if the GOP loses the House and the adults tell the Cruz crazies to fuck off.

That dude is good... Too bad the Palin / Cruz / Bachman wing (that votes in primaries) will not stand for him.

Yep. No way they support somebody they don't think they can control.

They can't stop Christie. By the time the primaries roll around it will be a coronation not a competition.

Yep. No way they support somebody they don't think they can control.

Similar comments were made when Obama ran against the Clinton's. Politics has changed. Populism rules. If Christie wins the crowd the people in power will go along in order to retain their power.

He appointed a Musllm to the state court. A Muslim.

David Frum suggested the other day that the current shutdown and the blame on the Tea Party could help Christie. He can make the argument that he can control the Tea Party crew, where Obama clearly couldn’t. I'm not sure if he can be that overt about it when he's trying to court their voters, but I thought it was an interesting point.

That’s if he gets out of the primary, of course. Though it could help in the primary against a guy like Cruz. If voters are voting against the current DC gridlock, Christie looks awfully fresh and new in comparison.

Tea Party's favoribility rating is 21%. Their net rating is -36%. Cruz led the Value Voters straw poll with 42%. Christie was at best sixth with barely 1%. Talk about potential Sister Soulljah moments.

Similar comments were made when Obama ran against the Clinton's. Politics has changed. Populism rules. If Christie wins the crowd the people in power will go along in order to retain their power.

that's because americans could stomach a black man president more than a white woman president

I love all the liberals telling the conservatives who they are going to support. For all the intellect that is housed in the collective brains of the liberals on this board (which apparently is a much greater sum than the conservatives - I read it on the internet) I don't think a single one of you has a firm grasp on the pulse of the Republican Party. Ya'll are praying for Ted Cruz, but it isn't going to happen. Christie is not only a moderate (which like or not the last two presidential nominees have been moderate when compared to the other primary candidates) but he excites the far right without having to kowtow to their rhetoric. I know it might be a somewhat scary thought, but Christie has the makeup to win states like Mississippi and New Jersey even as far apart as they are on the conservative periodic table.

Some of you will be sorely disappointed in a few years.

that's because americans could stomach a black man president more than a white woman president

I agree, and I don't think that sentiment will be all much changed in 2.5 years....especially a woman as controversial, and with such strong negatives (speaking of polling data) as Hillary. Hillary has a SUPER strong support base, but she also has a large base of people that would not vote for her if she was the last person on earth....and these people aren't just conservatives. When you have been in the spotlight for as long as the Clinton's have, the public has very strong opinions about you. There won't be much opportunity to mold a message outside of what people already think of you.

I agree, and I don't think that sentiment will be all much changed in 2.5 years....especially a woman as controversial, and with such strong negatives (speaking of polling data) as Hillary. Hillary has a SUPER strong support base, but she also has a large base of people that would not vote for her if she was the last person on earth....and these people aren't just conservatives. When you have been in the spotlight for as long as the Clinton's have, the public has very strong opinions about you. There won't be much opportunity to mold a message outside of what people already think of you.

She's beating EVERY Republican by double digits.

I love all the liberals telling the conservatives who they are going to support. For all the intellect that is housed in the collective brains of the liberals on this board (which apparently is a much greater sum than the conservatives - I read it on the internet) I don't think a single one of you has a firm grasp on the pulse of the Republican Party. Ya'll are praying for Ted Cruz, but it isn't going to happen. Christie is not only a moderate (which like or not the last two presidential nominees have been moderate when compared to the other primary candidates) but he excites the far right without having to kowtow to their rhetoric. I know it might be a somewhat scary thought, but Christie has the makeup to win states like Mississippi and New Jersey even as far apart as they are on the conservative periodic table.

Some of you will be sorely disappointed in a few years.

First of all, Christie will not win the nomination. He appointed a Muslim judge.

If by some miracle (read GOP loses the House) he does win. he won't beat Hillary in NJ.

Back