• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do conservatives still want Chris Christie?

They can't stop Christie. By the time the primaries roll around it will be a coronation not a competition.

Republicans don't like kings.

5945374093_f377660e59_b.jpg

I love all the liberals telling the conservatives who they are going to support. For all the intellect that is housed in the collective brains of the liberals on this board (which apparently is a much greater sum than the conservatives - I read it on the internet) I don't think a single one of you has a firm grasp on the pulse of the Republican Party. Ya'll are praying for Ted Cruz, but it isn't going to happen. Christie is not only a moderate (which like or not the last two presidential nominees have been moderate when compared to the other primary candidates) but he excites the far right without having to kowtow to their rhetoric. I know it might be a somewhat scary thought, but Christie has the makeup to win states like Mississippi and New Jersey even as far apart as they are on the conservative periodic table.

Some of you will be sorely disappointed in a few years.

Here's a fawning puff piece from the far right on the coronation of Christie. He's so top of mind that it's not even mentioned that he received 1% of the vote. Must be some kind of stealth Jedi mind trick.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/12/rubio-ryan-values-voters-straw-poll

I firmly believe that Christie would be by far the best GOP nominee, but that bias doesn't mean I can suspend reality and pretend the Tea Party base loves him. Christie's up by 30 points in his re-election, but they New Jersey GOP Senate nominee trailing Booker by double-digits brought in Sarah Palin to campaign for him. I'm guessing you missed Palin's prior lavish praise for Christie.

if mitt can get the nom in 2012 from the tea party crazies, then i dont see why christie couldnt in 2016. i'd imagine they'll be weaker, and he's probably a better candidate. now one of the "young guns" may get the nod, but i dont think it's impossible the pubs end up with another moderate candidate.

He put his arm around Obama and put a Muslim in as a judge. How's that for starters?

In 2012, the GOP had the worst collection of candidates either party had in my lifetime. Remember, Santorum actually led. He lost his last election by 18%. Herman Cain actually led. Newt led.

so what youre saying is christie wont be the nom because theyll have better options?

Wrangor, please post the polls that show Christie leading among Republicans.

In 2012, the GOP had the worst collection of candidates either party had in my lifetime. Remember, Santorum actually led. He lost his last election by 18%. Herman Cain actually led. Newt led.

Probably true, although the 1972 Democratic field was pretty bad

Please post polls in 2006 that showed Obama leading among Democrats. Because that was when I called Obama as the next Democratic nominee after reading Dreams from my Father. Certain politicians have it, and in todays political landscape that means everything. Polls are meaningless 2 months before the election, and they are certainly even more meaningless 2 years. And when I use the word meaningless I mean they have exactly 0% value. Not even a small percentage.

Here is a poll from 2006 (2 years before the election) that showed Democratic nominees and their percentages....show me Obama on the list:

Clinton: 36%
Gore: 16%
Edwards: 12%
Kerry: 11%
Clark: 4%
Biden: 4%
Feingold: 3%
Warner: 2%

http://www.gallup.com/poll/23245/clinton-giuliani-top-2008-presidential-nomination-polls.aspx

So you stick to the polls, I will stick to what has worked for me in the past 8 years. I have predicted both Obama and Paul Ryan to be rising stars and Christie is the next one. The trends are pretty easy, and Christie is an easier prediction than either Obama or Ryan because he is a sitting governor, dominating in a blue leaning state, who has major national appeal. He is also intelligent, an incredible public speaker, and is an equal combination of principled and practical.

He is an easy call and Democrats know it, they just don't want to admit it. They are hoping that the Tea Party will screw it up, but in national elections the Tea Party has much less sway. Newt Gingrich was relying on the far right to take him to victory. It turns out that the middle of the Republican party has a lot more to say in presidential nominees. 2016 will be no different.

Please post polls in 2006 that showed Obama leading among Democrats. Because that was when I called Obama as the next Democratic nominee after reading Dreams from my Father. Certain politicians have it, and in todays political landscape that means everything. Polls are meaningless 2 months before the election, and they are certainly even more meaningless 2 years. And when I use the word meaningless I mean they have exactly 0% value. Not even a small percentage.

Here is a poll from 2006 (2 years before the election) that showed Democratic nominees and their percentages....show me Obama on the list:

Clinton: 36%
Gore: 16%
Edwards: 12%
Kerry: 11%
Clark: 4%
Biden: 4%
Feingold: 3%
Warner: 2%

http://www.gallup.com/poll/23245/clinton-giuliani-top-2008-presidential-nomination-polls.aspx

So you stick to the polls, I will stick to what has worked for me in the past 8 years. I have predicted both Obama and Paul Ryan to be rising stars and Christie is the next one. The trends are pretty easy, and Christie is an easier prediction than either Obama or Ryan because he is a sitting governor, dominating in a blue leaning state, who has major national appeal. He is also intelligent, an incredible public speaker, and is an equal combination of principled and practical.

He is an easy call and Democrats know it, they just don't want to admit it. They are hoping that the Tea Party will screw it up, but in national elections the Tea Party has much less sway. Newt Gingrich was relying on the far right to take him to victory. It turns out that the middle of the Republican party has a lot more to say in presidential nominees. 2016 will be no different.

while i don't disagree in large part with your overall point, i do have a few issues with your post.

for one: polls are not meaningless. that's idiotic. especially not 2 months prior. did 2012 teach you donks anything?

there's a big difference between where obama was in the national political landscape on 2006 and where christie is now. will he rise like obama did? i don't know (don't care really as i'd love to see the pubs run a decent candidate that elevated the level of discourse in this country), but just because obama did it doesnt mean christie is the same guy 2 years prior.

while i don't disagree in large part with your overall point, i do have a few issues with your post.

for one: polls are not meaningless. that's idiotic. especially not 2 months prior. did 2012 teach you donks anything?

there's a big difference between where obama was in the national political landscape on 2006 and where christie is now. will he rise like obama did? i don't know (don't care really as i'd love to see the pubs run a decent candidate that elevated the level of discourse in this country), but just because obama did it doesnt mean christie is the same guy 2 years prior.

Obviously I am using a bit of hyperbole but here is a poll 2 months before the Republican Primary started that had Herman Cain with a 20 point lead over Romney, and had him beating Obama by 2% points in the general election. Polls are so varied, so nuanced, and often so biased towards a particular result that anyone can use a poll to defend just about any viewpoint they desire.

http://news.yahoo.com/poll-cain-surges-opens-20-point-lead-romney-132015440.html

ok so your point isn't that "polls are meaningless," but rather that looking at one poll and ignoring others is less than ideal. i guess i should have taken in to account the thread on your intelligence prior to taking what you type at face value.

I love all the liberals telling the conservatives who they are going to support. For all the intellect that is housed in the collective brains of the liberals on this board (which apparently is a much greater sum than the conservatives - I read it on the internet) I don't think a single one of you has a firm grasp on the pulse of the Republican Party. Ya'll are praying for Ted Cruz, but it isn't going to happen. Christie is not only a moderate (which like or not the last two presidential nominees have been moderate when compared to the other primary candidates) but he excites the far right without having to kowtow to their rhetoric. I know it might be a somewhat scary thought, but Christie has the makeup to win states like Mississippi and New Jersey even as far apart as they are on the conservative periodic table.

I apologize, Wrangor. I read this post as present tense, not future tense. If you're admitting that Christie is behind now and claiming he won't be in 2+ years, can you explain why such a high profile Republican and possible 2012 candidate hasn't gotten Republican hearts beating and hasn't excited the far right enough to show up in polls now?

I think I just got called a liberal.

I am not a RINO but I have rarely been called a liberal. Truth be told I am probably more liberal than anyone on this board. I am just a short hair away from being an anarchist. That is either extremely liberal or extremely conservative. I can't decide.

Extremely conservative nowadays.

Back