• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where is the coolest place you have ever lived?

Where is the coolest or most interesting place you have ever lived? (And I mean lived, not just visiting for a couple of weeks.) If not self-evident, explain why it was cool.

For me, it was Iphofen, Germany, a medieval German village in northern Bavaria. My wife and I lived there from January 1996 to December 1998 while I was stationed at nearby Kitzingen. Founded in 743 AD, Iphofen has walls, gatehouses, towers, a moat, cathedral, etc. To top it off, its major claim to fame is wine. That place is so awesome.
I've been to Iphofen. :thumbsup:

For three years in the mid-80s I was a Chaplain for a maintenance battalion in Hanau, Germany. I traveled all over Germany visiting my units. Then I got lucky again in the 90's and was sent to Baumholder, Germany. I love Germany. Love to live there. Love to visit the place.

My wife and I will be in Würzburg (and a few other places) in September. Can't wait.

My first thought was Dublin but in reality, the accommodations were shitty and I was a bit outside of the city and I was taking classes AF a real school that had a curve set at 2.0

I really think the coolest place was living in The Range at UVA my third year. Working fireplace, great tailgates, across the street from the bars, I'd get up and read the paper checking out the undergrads and drinking coffee in my rocking chair.

88086_2.jpg

Qualifies for the best and the worst place I have ever lived. Same thing could said about my time in New Orleans.

Second this. Lived there in the fall of 2007 and love Cambridge. That was the only time I ever felt like I was good at basketball. They let three of us from my program join the same college's basketball team and we were unstoppable. It was like being the ringer that shows up in a Disney sports movie taking the team from last to first. Too bad the season kept going after we left.

Summer, 2002

cambridge_university.jpg

cambridge-emmanuel-college-monuments-516-large.jpg

You can't walk on the grass.

Second this. Lived there in the fall of 2007 and love Cambridge. That was the only time I ever felt like I was good at basketball. They let three of us from my program join the same college's basketball team and we were unstoppable. It was like being the ringer that shows up in a Disney sports movie taking the team from last to first. Too bad the season kept going after we left.

I was in that program in '07 too...basketball was awesome, plus travelling Thurs - Sunday every weekend.

I've been to Iphofen. :thumbsup:

For three years in the mid-80s I was a Chaplain for a maintenance battalion in Hanau, Germany. I traveled all over Germany visiting my units. Then I got lucky again in the 90's and was sent to Baumholder, Germany. I love Germany. Love to live there. Love to visit the place.

My wife and I will be in Würzburg (and a few other places) in September. Can't wait.

You've got to be kidding!

In addition to being stationed in Kitzingen for 3 years myself from Jan 96 to Dec 98, I am an Army Brat, and my Dad (and my Mom and I, too) was stationed at Pioneer Kaserne in Hanau from 1978-1981. My Dad was the S-3/XO for the 559th Engineer Battalion and then was transferred across the street to Headquarters, 130th Engineer Brigade for his last year there. I remember that the 8th Maintenance Battalion was one of the units on Pioneer Kaserne. Was that your unit?

I was only 8-11 during this time, but I have the fondest memories of growing up in Germany. We lived for 2 years at Old Argonner and then our final year in a duplex at New Argonner. We traveled all over the country and saw all kinds of castles, went on dozens of volksmarches, saw Checkpoint Charlie and East Germany/East Berlin while it was still the east, and all kinds of other cool things.

I envy you and your upcoming trip to Wuerzburg. I spent a lot of time over there as well and our oldest son was born in Wuerzburg. It's a shame all of those Kasernes are closed now.

Have fun!!

Last edited:
Toss up between Salamanca, Spain and James Cistern, Eleuthera, Bahamas... for very different reasons.

It was only a few months, but Cape Town, South Africa.

tablemountain.jpg

You've got to be kidding!

In addition to being stationed in Kitzingen for 3 years myself from Jan 96 to Dec 98, I am an Army Brat, and my Dad (and my Mom and I, too) was stationed at Pioneer Kaserne in Hanau from 1978-1981. My Dad was the S-3/XO for the 559th Engineer Battalion and then was transferred across the street to Headquarters, 130th Engineer Brigade for his last year there. I remember that the 8th Maintenance Battalion was one of the units on Pioneer Kaserne. Was that your unit?

I was only 8-11 during this time, but I have the fondest memories of growing up in Germany. We lived for 2 years at Old Argonner and then our final year in a duplex at New Argonner. We traveled all over the country and saw all kinds of castles, went on dozens of volksmarches, saw Checkpoint Charlie and East Germany/East Berlin while it was still the east, and all kinds of other cool things.

I envy you and your upcoming trip to Wuerzburg. I spent a lot of time over there as well and our oldest son was born in Wuerzburg. It's a shame all of those Kasernes are closed now.

Have fun!!
It was the 85th Maintenance Battalion when I was there in '83 through '86 and it was located in Old Argonner. We also lived in Old Argonner.

The tour is actually riverboat tour through Wake Forest. It covers the Mosel, the Main and the Rhein. All of the tour spots (Trier, Bernkastel, etc.) are places that my wife and I visited while we were stationed there. The boat even stops in Hanau!

Did you ever eat at Engel am Zollturm, the Gasthaus on the river?

Sad - Hanau is closed now.

Send me a PM. We're probably boring everyone else.

Portland?

I lived in Hanover NH for 6 years. Small, quaint NE town with top flight college and med center. Lots of great folks. A real change of pace for this southern boy- in a good way. The only negative was the harsh winters- which would be the attraction to that area for many folks.

Use to live in Vermont about 20 mins from Hanover for 3 years. Spent a fair amount time there, aside from my three surgeries at Dartmouth Med. It's a great area to live in.

Back