• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chili: beans or no beans?

Is chili allowed to have beans?

• Yes

Votes: 87 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Other: doofus/numbers

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
I'm assuming you ground up your mushrooms with the turkey to add more umami since u know that turkey wasn't bringing it. Other than that, adding corn is kinda weird, but I've seen it before in Southwestern (?) chilis maybe.

in a tortilla soup maybe

Are you talking about chili with rice ?

That was how my mother used to make chili. But it wasn't actually chili, as it had no peppers in it at all. It was more of a ground beef/tomato/kidney bean stew. It was good for what it was, but it wasn't chili.

My dad won’t eat beans so my mom grinds them up when she makes chili and I don’t think she’s made it in like a decade.

My dad won’t eat beans so my mom grinds them up when she makes chili and I don’t think she’s made it in like a decade.

I think that if I had to choose one meal to eat for the rest of my life, it would be pintos and collards.

yeah peppers/meat/beans (if not in Texas)/onions ok, that all fits and is fine

but corn and mushrooms, now you're just making a generic stew that happens to have some chili spices in it

someone posted a recipe somewhere earlier in the thread with CELERY in it, why is that even a thing? who wants that?

I've seen corn in several chilis. Mushrooms, not so much, but I haven't exactly been looking for them. Corn you notice. Corn is also very much a southwest thing so it makes sense.

Is white chili considered chili? Or I guess white chili is its own thing, hence the caveat that it's "white." My wife can put together a killer white chicken chili and it feels more like a chili than a chicken soup or stew.

I have eaten chili for lunch and dinner every day this week and I am content. And I made it with 5 different kinds of beans. And corn. And mushrooms. And 3 different peppers. And ground turkey.

good lord you have some abominable food takes. TIL mako thinks chili is just a spicy vegetable soup.

Family events in New Mexico as a kid were amazing. Funeral, wedding, birthday, they all turned into family reunion potlucks. Several aunties would bring their chili. Others would bring their beans. One or two would make posole. And it was perfectly fine to layer a bowl with beans at the bottom but then chili on top. You could even mix it. But then you would have chili with beans, not just chili any more.

that chili does not have beans by definition is a classic ridiculous toogs take

Back