• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chili: beans or no beans?

Is chili allowed to have beans?

• Yes

Votes: 87 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Other: doofus/numbers

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
i add beans when i make it because it's cheaper and healthier. i also rarely use meat. i don't like beans in chili you put on things, and i can't remember enjoying a bowlful of chili that didn't have beans. it may just be that i've never had GREAT beanless chili. granted i can't imagine when i'd ever order chili somewhere that might have good chili. i guess hard times cafe, but i can't remember. chili is pretty much a good, cheap, filling winter dish or something to put on a hot dog. not sure why all the fuss.

Beans with chili isn't chili.

The point is that you cant use 'chili cookoff champions don't use beans' as an argument that you cant put beans in chili.

That's essentially saying, "Look what these obese underemployed people did in a Wal-Mart parking lot, their rule is law!"

Doesn't add up.

no such thing as a real chili without beans. you bean-less noobs are talking about the slop they spackle on your flaccid pink hot dogs

At this point I think the poll results speak for themselves, cookout. I'm not saying I told you so....but....

The people who make rules about chili contests disagree with the poll.

The results prove that we have 63 chili philistines on this board. Kinda like how so many people watch American Idol.

At this point I think the poll results speak for themselves, cookout. I'm not saying I told you so....but....

The results prove that we have 63 chili philistines on this board. Kinda like how so many people watch American Idol.

Yep. Didn't prove anything except that this is just one area in which a Wake education has obviously failed.

also I meant to address this earlier--someone mentioned kidney beans early. WTF. IF you serve chili with beans (preferably in a separate bowl) they should be pintos. Kidney beans are disgusting.

Hahahaha chili philistines has to be an oxymoron. It's gotta be one of the simplest dishes ever to get right. If anything, it shows one area in which Wake fans aren't elitist snobs, and it's pretty funny that two of anti-bean's biggest champions are public school kids in Toogs and Cookout.

I'm not knocking no-bean chili whatsoever. It's fucking delicious, and I'd kill to be a judge at one of the big time comps. But when I make chili, I put beans in it, and I still call it chili. I'd love some of y'all to go strip my pops or any number of his friends on cooking teams of their chili trophies from states like Ohio that love chili, but happen to serve them with beans. Love to see you elitists try.

Oh I usually mix my chili with beans too, it's delicious. It's no longer chili though.

Ohio chili is disgusting, like pretty much everything in Ohio. That said, as gross as it is, Skyline doesn't have beans, they are an additional item like cheese or chopped onions. Same with Hard Times. This has nothing to do with elitism, snobbery, public schools, Melissa Stark taking it in the ass, or your mommy issues. It's just a simple fact that many are ignorant of.

i heard toogs puts old bay in his chili.

Hahahaha chili philistines has to be an oxymoron. It's gotta be one of the simplest dishes ever to get right. If anything, it shows one area in which Wake fans aren't elitist snobs, and it's pretty funny that two of anti-bean's biggest champions are public school kids in Toogs and Cookout.

I'm not knocking no-bean chili whatsoever. It's fucking delicious, and I'd kill to be a judge at one of the big time comps. But when I make chili, I put beans in it, and I still call it chili. I'd love some of y'all to go strip my pops or any number of his friends on cooking teams of their chili trophies from states like Ohio that love chili, but happen to serve them with beans. Love to see you elitists try.

Your mouth is writing checks that your bean-eating daddy's body can't cash.

In New Mexico, virtually every family gathering has a big old pot of beans or two, and several people bring chili. You can mix them as you want or not at all, and it's perfection.

Back