• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chili: beans or no beans?

Is chili allowed to have beans?

• Yes

Votes: 87 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Other: doofus/numbers

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
WTF is this thread? Beans in chili = JV. #beansout

Also caring what the AKC thinks of your dog just means you are an immense douche whose opinion is worthless on pretty much any topic other than douchiness.

i don't GAF about what the AKC thinks about my dog. just trying to make a point that just because some sanctioning body says something, it's not the end all, be all. god, you're such a dick.

The thing is, it's not some sanctioning body saying this about chili.

lolololololol toogs I just saw "that"

very nice, I am awaiting responses

Chili is all about the flavors resulting from the combination of spices and meat thus anything that dilutes those flavors has no place in chili. I like beans, but in chili they are a filler so they don't belong.

That said, I do generally serve my chili with rice, which serves more or less the same purpose, but let's the individual control the proportion of chili to rice. I also use ground beef (these days of pretty high quality / low fat content though).

if your going for meet quality just go with kobe beef.. sure its the most expensive beef in the world.. be beer fed, hand massaged beef from japan cant be bad

Hmm? You wouldn't say 90/10 ground beef is higher quality than 80/20?

Fat content has nothing to do with quality of the meat. It just means there's less fat. Sometimes the 80/20 is exactly what you need (ie, for burgers)

Hmm? You wouldn't say 90/10 ground beef is higher quality than 80/20?

All cows have the same cuts whether or not they're feedlot cows or fancy free range or whatever. And you can have a ground beef with leftover trimmings from wherever or something like a blend of brisket amd short rib. Same fat content, dramatically different quality.

The point is that you cant use 'chili cookoff champions don't use beans' as an argument that you cant put beans in chili.

That's essentially saying, "Look what these obese underemployed people did in a Wal-Mart parking lot, their rule is law!"

Doesn't add up.

Actually he is a dentist.....:thumbsup: You will note that I disagree with him.

While it is interesting how passionate people are about chili, the truth is that it is far from an exact science. One of the things that contestants like to do at the World Championships to to mix their chili together to see what it tastes like. The first year that Ted won, he was initially awarded second place. It turns out that a mixture of several contestants was entered as a joke, and it won. After someone fessed up, Ted was awarded his first championship.

Since I am lazy about the process, my favorite chili is the Wick Fowler two alarm kit that you can purchase. And wouldn't you know it, the former champion from 1967 includes an option for adding kidney beans.

Don't hate me for saying this, but I think Wendy's chili is good. I'm fine with chili both ways though.

Back