• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chili: beans or no beans?

Is chili allowed to have beans?

• Yes

Votes: 87 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Other: doofus/numbers

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Chili with ground beef and kidney beans is Poverty Chili.

I think there is truth to that. It's an inexpensive way to add filler to a meal if you have several mouths to feed. The "meat only" thing strikes me as convenient if you've just butchered a cow or if you live in current times where groceries are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Back in, say, Great Depression times, you probably wanted to get as much out of a meal as possible.

I've had good chili both ways. I grew up having it with beans so I don't view beans as blasphemous at all. And it's really easy to fuck up meat only chili by not having enough meat and effectively making a soup. Harder to do that with beans.

Now the real question is who puts cinnamon in their chili?

Listen if I want Cincinnati chili I can just take a dump on some noodles. Gtfo with cinnamon

Cinnamon is definitely a yankee thing, but it seems to work for me. I've tasted it in some chilis down here as a subtle ingredient, rather than one that stands out like it would up north. Seems like just a pinch of it so that it kind of sits underneath the heat is a good thing. But to each his own, obviously.

I've never had Cincinnati chili and always read about how bad it is but I feel like it can't be that bad at a place like Skyline since they put an ungodly amount of cheese on it which should mask any off flavors.

I've never had Cincinnati chili and always read about how bad it is but I feel like it can't be that bad at a place like Skyline since they put an ungodly amount of cheese on it which should mask any off flavors.

Yah that's pretty much the deal. Though the cinammon still comes through pretty damn heavily.

It's edible once you load it up with cheese and put it on a hotdog (the noodles preparation is not good).

Damn it's frosty today in Austin. Might go grab some mad dog margaritas at the Chili Parlor bar.

so-so chili is still better than no chili. there was a skyline chili place in greensboro years ago (like in the mid 90s when i lived there) and it was fine for lunch

I've never had chili I didn't like...until I had Skyline chili.

Damn it's frosty today in Austin. Might go grab some mad dog margaritas at the Chili Parlor bar.
Have had some epic nights there, usually ending with bear fights. I don't actually think I knew the Guy Clark song until years later

If you want another proper local just around the corner, try THE CLOAK ROOM. I've tended bar there on more than one occasion when the barmaid decided she wanted to disappear for a few hours. They register your tab with tallies on the back of an old receipt

I was so excited the first and only time I went to skyline. I love chili and I like pasta a lot. I still hold a grudge.

I got some Skyline chili one time at CVG airport. It felt like an appropriate meal given the surroundings.

Got my dry aged chili meat from Porter Road thawing for chili this weekend.

Eating Skyline if you like chili is like having an abortion if you are anti-choice.

Back