• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chili: beans or no beans?

Is chili allowed to have beans?

• Yes

Votes: 87 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Other: doofus/numbers

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Except the noodles are gross. And the chili is gross

giphy.gif

Never understand this opinion. Cincy chili Is just a bolognese style meat sauce, and it pairs with spaghetti noodles in the exact same way.

lol this man is calling cincy chili a bolognese now.. it's a meat sauce, but it's not bolognese (for one, it doesn't have dairy in it)

also served with shitty fast food pasta noodles.. blegh.. not enough cheese in the world to fix it, that's why if you have to try it just get it on a coney

just chuckling at myself trying to imagine the cooks at skyline whipping up a perfect mirepoix as the base of their sauce

The highest praise for it on this thread is "edible", "so-so", and "appropriate"

You're the only one on this thread so far that likes it

lol so? Fuck this thread, Cincy style chili is delicious. I’m supposed to take serious people acting like meat sauce on spaghetti noodles is strange, yeah right. The Greek immigrants that invented it only named it “chili” so that it would sound familiar for Americans.

Last edited:
What’s your recipe?

Stole this from a few pages ago for the ground beef. I can try to find my personal recipe if anyone is interested.

For this one, I cut the sugar and added ancho with the cayenne.

Made this last night:

https://www.thewholesomedish.com/the-best-classic-chili/

I doubled the ground beef and then adjusted the other spices. I omitted the cayenne pepper since i was making for a group and then just added Texas Pete. It was very good.

I fucking love Skyline. Gimme that 4-way dry OM NOM NOM.

Cookout have you only had Skyline via drive through? Maybe that's the source of your discontent. I don't understand how someone who fosters such appreciation for Taco Bell doesn't also love Skyline. Its in these hallowed places that meat (sauces) of questionable quality rise above their humble origins and show us their true potential.

Never had Skyline. Was disappointed in the restaurant one I had when I visited Cincinnati (Camp Washington). But I have recipe that I make at home that tastes pretty good. I do it 4 way with beans (onions are terrible), and use grocery store spaghetti. Might have to make it if the Bengals make it to the Super bowl.

Oh man. Just remembered how good SKYLINE DIP can be. That's the superbowl dish right there.

You're the only one on this thread so far that likes it

Only because I took my comment to the unpopular opinions thread. Part of it may be nostalgia but I still enjoy Skyline on the rare occasions I have it. Of course it is not the best version of Cincy chili, but I do like it. It is rare for me to like a fast food chain too.

Goetta is my must have for Cincy trips.

I have eaten chili for lunch and dinner every day this week and I am content. And I made it with 5 different kinds of beans. And corn. And mushrooms. And 3 different peppers. And ground turkey.

I have eaten chili for lunch and dinner every day this week and I am content. And I made it with 5 different kinds of beans. And corn. And mushrooms. And 3 different peppers. And ground turkey.

How many components can you add to or remove from chili before it stops being chili?

I'm assuming you ground up your mushrooms with the turkey to add more umami since u know that turkey wasn't bringing it. Other than that, adding corn is kinda weird, but I've seen it before in Southwestern (?) chilis maybe.

How many components can you add to or remove from chili before it stops being chili?

yeah peppers/meat/beans (if not in Texas)/onions ok, that all fits and is fine

but corn and mushrooms, now you're just making a generic stew that happens to have some chili spices in it

someone posted a recipe somewhere earlier in the thread with CELERY in it, why is that even a thing? who wants that?

Back