• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is your favorite podcast?

I finally set up my iPod to play podcasts in my car. I've been listening to Pod Save America, Politically Re-Active, and Pod Save the People, so way too much politics. Any recs welcome. Is Katie Nolan returning to podcasting anytime soon?

I finally set up my iPod to play podcasts in my car. I've been listening to Pod Save America, Politically Re-Active, and Pod Save the People, so way too much politics. Any recs welcome. Is Katie Nolan returning to podcasting anytime soon?

This doesn't take you away from politics, but if you like Pod Save America, you should try Lovett or Leave It. Tends to be funnier/sillier but still topical. I just went to the live taping of this week's in DC last night and always find it enjoyable.

Also could check out Time's best podcasts of 2017 list. Some good options in there.

New Hardcore History ep. released yesterday; topic is Caesar's conquest of Gaul.

6 hours long - woof

ITC mentioned it last summer, but I'm digging "Lore". Short, half-hour scripted narratives on folklore and the supernatural. Definitely recommend.

Officially already worried about Pardon My Take podcast. Funny that they had Michael Rapaport on this morning to keep blasting Bill Simmons about his crappy failed HBO show the same week the Barstool guys had the premiere of their show. Bill Simmon's podcast suffered when he was trying to do his show, and I expect the same from the PMT guys (as much as they keep saying it won't - they're already complaining about how little sleep they are getting)

I just blasted through "The Adventure Zone" podcast the past two weeks or so. 3 guys and their dad play a narrative-heavy D&D campaign, though it's pretty goofy and filled with pop references and not at all serious "D&D" play and more of a story. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Hopefully for the PMT guys this will be more of a proof of concept on TV. It's supposed to go through the super bowl so maybe after that if it's working they will get a better timeslot. Although I admit I know absolutely nothing about how TV works etc.

I'll second Dirty John and I'm now listening to another true crime one called Accused.

Officially already worried about Pardon My Take podcast. Funny that they had Michael Rapaport on this morning to keep blasting Bill Simmons about his crappy failed HBO show the same week the Barstool guys had the premiere of their show. Bill Simmon's podcast suffered when he was trying to do his show, and I expect the same from the PMT guys (as much as they keep saying it won't - they're already complaining about how little sleep they are getting)

well, worry no more. The TV show was canceled after one episode because they, according to ESPN, couldn't distance it from Barstool's content. Nevermind the fact they gave in to having Barstool's name and branding on the show.

God, Hank on PMT is the absolute worst. Maybe I'm missing the joke that his fandom is detestable and that's why it's brought up so much, but I think the joke is more that he's an idiot. The dude is a Pats fan who walked out before the Super Bowl was over last year, didn't watch the end of the Seahawks Super Bowl, but still talks a good amount of crap (that I'm sure he doesn't play up to full effect on the podcast). I assume he's from Massachusetts because he's also a Celtics fan. A Boston homer in the sports media is one thing, but randomly for no reason he is also a freaking DUKE BASKETBALL FAN. I love Big Cat and PFT, but Hank is pretty awful for that reason alone.

lol, I work with a Kentucky Basketball/Patriots fan and even I think that's terrible. He's from freaking Nashville.
Every bandwagon fan always has the same defense "my uncle lived in x and brought me a t-shirt when I was 7, and i've been a fan ever since" yeah right.

Last edited:
I never read this thread before because I didn't listen to podcasts when this was on the front page. Due to making some long car drives over the past few months, I've started getting into them.

I'm digging Still Processing (w/ Wesley Morris and a millennial named Jenna). They're an OWG nightmare: black, gay culture writers for the NYT but this OWG has enjoyed Morris ever since he started at the Globe.

New Hardcore History ep. released yesterday; topic is Caesar's conquest of Gaul.

6 hours long - woof

"Woof" because it's so short? The first Hardcore History I listened to was about ancient Middle Eastern societies that took about 10 hours over 4 episodes. Good stuff, same for the Caesar/Gaul ones.

I never read this thread before because I didn't listen to podcasts when this was on the front page. Due to making some long car drives over the past few months, I've started getting into them.

I'm digging Still Processing (w/ Wesley Morris and a millennial named Jenna). They're an OWG nightmare: black, gay culture writers for the NYT but this OWG has enjoyed Morris ever since he started at the Globe.

"Woof" because it's so short? The first Hardcore History I listened to was about ancient Middle Eastern societies that took about 10 hours over 4 episodes. Good stuff, same for the Caesar/Gaul ones.

woof because he didn't break it up into episodes; the WWI series is nearly 20 hours

he should do one on the Napoleonic period

Last edited:
A Storm of Spoilers is really good if you are a nerd. It started off as a Game of Thrones podcast, but they quickly realized that with the giant breaks between, they weren't going to be able to sustain. So they started doing episodes on all the geeky stuff I'm into: comic book series and movies, Stephen King, Twin Peaks, Rick and Morty, Star Wars...that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
just listened to the first series on American History Tellers. It was 6 part about Cold War. Thought it was really interesting and well done. Next up is Prohibition.

Back