• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Bz Ad in Gboro N&R, Day 4 = HEADSHOT

Sent. Thanks to those who put this together. BUZZOUT.

Have we decided on Paypal instead of crowdtilt, then? Just want to be sure before I send in my meager donation.

For the people catching up tomorrow when they get to work, maybe we need a new thread with quick summary of plan and Paypal link. Possible pin to top

We have $270 bucks so far. Keep it up. It will probably be about $2500 for all 4 days.

Also, why don't we offer to donate any leftover money to the [Redacted] buyout fund? Not kidding. I am serious.

Talk to them tomorrow & see if my involvement helps. They are well aware of the exposure last week's ad got. Especially if you've already paid them for day 1, you have a lot of leverage to negotiate a better deal for the subsequent days.

They know you're serious about publishing the ad somewhere & they should be extremely motivated to keep your business. I'd offer them $100/day past Thursday, expect a rejection & say you're going to shop around and mention the reciprocal value, and then wait for an hour or two on a phone call. Not much to lose and you could effectively quadruple the number of days we could afford.

Last edited:
Sending a donation over shortly.

Maybe keep a running update in the first post plus a summary of what the plan is for those coming in late.

Strattons: if you would, talk to your people at the N&R in the morning and see what the think about the trademark stuff.

83's link spells it out pretty clearly but there's got to be a line somewhere & they'll know better than us.

Yep VT has the idea right on leverage and bargaining. They want the business at this point. If we could get a spot on the front page this late in the game, they're looking for people willing to pay the price.

Don't want to rain on the parade, just keep everyone out of legal trouble. A quick google search of 'university name used in advertising' brings up pages of university policies. Many referring for permission to use the name.

I'm not a lawyer so unless you get a good legal ruling I'd stay away from Wake Forest or any of the trademarks (obviously).

I really don't see how "Wake Forest" can be trademarked, but like I said earlier (and as everybody knows) I'm no lawyer. The nickname might be and various aspects of the university might be, but people publish articles all the time with the name "Wake Forest" in it. BloggerSoDear publishes articles with "Wake Forest", "Deacs", "Demon Deacons", etc. in it and that's never an issue. I'm sure there is some difference (namely the negative attention that this would be giving to the university, thus breeding a potential malice claim or something) but I can't possibly believe that "Wake Forest" would be an issue. At all.

There is a big difference between using a school name for selling a product or service versus using it for a non-profit purpose (education, critique, parody, commentary, etc.). Should be good with the name as long as you don't use any actual logos, there is no confusion that WF is not associated with the ad, and you use only as much as necessary to convey your point.

Back