• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Bz Ad in Gboro N&R, Day 4 = HEADSHOT

Why now just use "WFU"?

1) Saves space
2) Nobody could possibly have a trademark on three letters. (not that I think using Wake Forest would be grounds for a lawsuit either. Hey! Maybe we were just talking about the town near Raleigh and their town drunk, Buzz McBzzilebum.)
Haha, the town drunk Buzz McBzzilebum!

I have no idea VT. I wouldn't think so but I do remember reading a while back (obviously lawyers should assist here if it's needed) that North Carolina has some interesting laws around defamation/libel/slander.

I'm sure somebody could bring forth malice argument. Of course truth is an absolute truth (and we all know it's true [Redacted] sucks).

I wasn't as concerned when I was making the ad for the OG&B, but I reckon I should ask now: Is there any danger in using the words "Wake Forest" ('Deacons', etc.) in an advertisement? Would prefer to avoid prosecution.

Using Wake Forest should produce no problems whatsoever. I would not use Demon Deacons.

Why now just use "WFU"?

1) Saves space
2) Nobody could possibly have a trademark on three letters. (not that I think using Wake Forest would be grounds for a lawsuit either. Hey! Maybe we were just talking about the town near Raleigh and their town drunk, Buzz McBzzilebum.)

Awesome. I'd use Buzz McBzzilebum in every post from here on out if it weren't so damn long and hard to spell. Definitely working it into conversation though.

Do we think Demon Deacons would have some legal protection that Wake Forest wouldn't?

I think that nicknames are probably copyrighted or protected more than the name of a University.

ETA: copyrighted, not patented.

Last edited:
I would think that as a public figure Jeff [Redacted] and Wake Forest would not be able to bring too many claims here but who knows?

Debate on public issues should be uninhibited, robust, and wide-open, and ... it may well include vehement, caustic, and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials

So is it a popular opinion that I add something unique for each day it potentially runs? For example: Thursday's stat might be [Redacted]'s career record in conference tournaments: 1-7

Can't remember if its been posted in the thread of if a Stratton told me; but I think the ad would be running in different spots if it ran multiple days... That probably makes the daily stuff less crucial. Playing with layout now.

"Today in Greensboro...not Jeff [Redacted] since he's never been here on a Friday"

I just figured you would be able to use trademarks in the public domain or something as a statement, but maybe not. I have no idea. I have no idea what North Carolina is doing.

I wasn't as concerned when I was making the ad for the OG&B, but I reckon I should ask now: Is there any danger in using the words "Wake Forest" ('Deacons', etc.) in an advertisement? Would prefer to avoid prosecution.

Not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on TV.

Might be best to stick with Wake Forest as was in your OG&B ad.

There are trademarks on Wake Forest University, Demon Deacons and things like Go Deacs.

Would any of these cause you issues? Don't know.

But no reason not to go with Wake Forest. Everyone knows what you mean.

WFU still saves space and everybody reading the sports section in Greensboro this weekend will know what WFU stands for.

Am I alone on this?

Back