• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

You found somebody who does nice work.

Good plan to have the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling. Might as well use that space, and have it in cabinets to keep the dust off stuff in there.

Good luck with the design and build of the doggie gate.

Anyone have experience with non-chemical pest control services? We're getting mice in our basement, but we also have kiddos and doggos to consider.

Anyone have experience with non-chemical pest control services? We're getting mice in our basement, but we also have kiddos and doggos to consider.

Seal off any openings you can find into the basement and set traps; lots of traps. Set them near any obvious access points and along walls. I find they are most effective if you tie a piece of floss to the catch and then put down some peanut butter with the floss exposed. The idea is that mice can sometimes sneak the peanut butter off the catch without tripping it, but in trying to take the floss for nesting purposes they are more likely to set off the trap. Just make sure you use rubber gloves and don't reuse the traps - just set a new one.

We had a mouse problem in our rental house 2 years ago - the city removed dumpsters from the alley during the first cold snap of the year and it drove mice into the homes. The method above worked pretty well and after a week or so of killing mice, we didn't notice any additional signs of activity.

i started using the tomcat traps b/c i hated the old wire style ones and after a week or so the population seemed to die off. Even caught a chipmunk once. You'd be surprised how big chipmunks look in a mousetrap.

trappper-t-rex.jpg

I’ve had some success lately with the wire traps. Hopefully with the warmer weather they’ll stay outside too. Still at least one left, I can hear it in my ceiling tiles when working in the basement.

Pit folks,

How much room do you recommend borders a mounted TV that is set into a built-in?

We are moving into a new place in a few weeks, and our TVs would be a tight fit in the built-ins. Roughly a 1/2 inch on each side.

I'm not sure if that would look good, and like it fits well, or if it the TV would look too big/cramped for the space.

We would be using full-motion mounts that can extend the TV away from the way (i.e. out of the built ins) and tilted in any direction, and then set back in place, if that matters.

Thanks!

We had that exact situation, actually less than 1/2 inch on either side. I said fuck it and mounted it anyway because hell if I was going to go buy a new TV.

That said if this one dies and I buy a new one it’ll have more clearance, if for no other reason that it’ll be easier to move the TV in and out of the built in.

We had that exact situation, actually less than 1/2 inch on either side. I said fuck it and mounted it anyway because hell if I was going to go buy a new TV.

That said if this one dies and I buy a new one it’ll have more clearance, if for no other reason that it’ll be easier to move the TV in and out of the built in.

Thanks.

This may be a silly follow-on question, but was with such little 'room for error' was it difficult to install the mount? I'm not worried about the actual installation of the mount, more making sure I get the placement ok, since (from what I'm thinking) being off even an inch could cause the TV to not 'fit' with such a small border. Or, because of how the TV can fit onto the mount, is that not a concern?

Yeah it had to be pretty precise and as it turned out my TV was unable to completely fit through the gap to lay flush in the built in, even when nailing the measurement. Sounds like you have a bit more side clearance than I did but yeah very little margin for error when it’s 1/2” on each side.

As it turns out I think I’d rarely have it pushed flat against the wall in the built in. It’s usually pulled out a bit and angled for better viewing, so not a big deal that it wouldn’t fit in.

thinking about buying an EGO cordless chainsaw since i have a couple EGO batteries already (and a blower). anyone have one?

i started using the tomcat traps b/c i hated the old wire style ones and after a week or so the population seemed to die off. Even caught a chipmunk once. You'd be surprised how big chipmunks look in a mousetrap.

trappper-t-rex.jpg

Late to the party here, but these are the traps that I use in the rental when it's empty and they are boss as hell.

Thanks.

This may be a silly follow-on question, but was with such little 'room for error' was it difficult to install the mount? I'm not worried about the actual installation of the mount, more making sure I get the placement ok, since (from what I'm thinking) being off even an inch could cause the TV to not 'fit' with such a small border. Or, because of how the TV can fit onto the mount, is that not a concern?

Last home I had this situation - I ended up getting a mount that had an extendable arm. It provided for a certain amount of fudge room.

thinking about buying an EGO cordless chainsaw since i have a couple EGO batteries already (and a blower). anyone have one?

I can't see how it would be powerful enough to do anything that a $10 bow saw couldn't do in 2 or 3 minutes. Maybe they have come a long way since I've looked at them, but to me they can't cut anything that you actually need a chainsaw for, unless maybe it is already dead.

first half of this guy's vid shows him taking down a decent sized tree with one battery charge. seems sufficient for weekend property maintenance

Last edited:
All the things he cuts look dead compared to the trees around them. That said, I completely get the maintenance and ease of use component. I use my chainsaw infrequently enough that whenever I do go to use it, the gas is bad or the chain is loose or it won't start for whatever reason, and it takes me more time to get the chainsaw running than what I need to use it for. So as long as you aren't cutting anything of a good size, if you just have to charge the battery and press a button, that would be pretty tough to beat. I assume it still needs bar/chain oil?

yeah, needs oil. i think for a couple hundred bucks i'm willing to give it a shot and have one less finicky engine to deal with. my new property is larger but i seriously doubt i'll ever be cutting down large living trees

i will report back.

plus, you can just rent a gas chainsaw from Home Depot or like tool rental spot if you need something powerful on an infrequent basis

Back