• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

personally I'd take the quartz off and tile the top to match the shower wall; I don't think the quartz looks right there at all and that's what's throwing things off.

So in the bathroom, our entry thresholds are this quartz, the seat in the shower is this quartz, the left wall here is a half wall that's this quartz on top, and all of the countertops are this quartz, so this shouldn't really stand out in the end. Our current house master bath is designed very very similarly (same quartz, same colors since we had it remodeled and love it), but under this same sill is just drywall and trim (which ended up wet and gross over time, but looked good at first!). We just ended up here this time with this design.

I'm going to play around with the quartz coming down, then having the shower tile going up either side of the entryway, that way the baseboard and trim can have something lower to terminate into and hopefully the tile running into the quartz will look ok.

And thanks everyone for all the advice and input! It's been maybe a little bit surprising just how many little tiny things need figuring out when building a house...

Has anyone dealt with yard flooding issues? Granted there was just a flash flood warning and it rained like 2 inches in the last 4 hours but both my front and back yard have a significant amount of standing water. Usually happens to some degree whenever it rains heavy. The water will recede over time so it does drain just not fast enough during storms. There’s already an elaborate pipe system that has drains all over the yard, but I have no idea where they all go, if they all connect, etc.. should I snake all the drains and maybe that solves the issue? Really don’t want to start digging up my yard with no plan.

Has anyone dealt with yard flooding issues? Granted there was just a flash flood warning and it rained like 2 inches in the last 4 hours but both my front and back yard have a significant amount of standing water. Usually happens to some degree whenever it rains heavy. The water will recede over time so it does drain just not fast enough during storms. There’s already an elaborate pipe system that has drains all over the yard, but I have no idea where they all go, if they all connect, etc.. should I snake all the drains and maybe that solves the issue? Really don’t want to start digging up my yard with no plan.

From what you said, yes, make sure that the drains in your yard are still working. They can collect silt and not work well.

Also figure out where the drains are or are supposed to be taking the water. Are the outlets of the drain system open and working? If it is to dry wells, they too can fill with silt and not drain well.

has anyone reglazed/refinished their own bathtub, or is that just worth paying someone else $300 to do?

Pretty much everything you've never done before and don't plan to do ever again, is worth paying someone else $300 to do.

I think we have had this conversation but are “outdoor TVs” worth the price?

Last edited:
No. TVs are cheap enough to get one and just replace it when you need to. I

We are under contract on a house with a gas water heater and fireplace but an electric cooktop.

We are on a slab and want to convert the electric cooktop to a gas one. Any idea what that might cost or any reason it might not be possible?

anything is possible if you're willing to rip and tear. how close is the range to an exterior wall that they could punch through? at this point in our reno i assume everything that I want but seems challenging is at least $2k

We are under contract on a house with a gas water heater and fireplace but an electric cooktop.

We are on a slab and want to convert the electric cooktop to a gas one. Any idea what that might cost or any reason it might not be possible?

Any thought to converting it to induction instead of gas? May be simpler, MUCH better than regular electric (at least on par with gas, imo), and potential clean energy advantages.

Looking to pull the carpet off my staircase and replace it with wood treads. Any recommendations for contractors in Winston to handle it? I could probably do it myself, but I just don't have the time to knock it out all at once, and that isn't a project I want to stretch over multiple days.

Weirdest thing in my inspection. When they re-did the master bath (master bedroom and bath are over the garage), they ran some plumbing through the garage itself. Pretty weird. I was concerned if it got real cold they could freeze, though there are radiators out there. And I assume if they had major issues with it they would have disclosed them, as the work was done a few years ago.

MKXGTZD.png

Last edited:
Weirdest thing in my inspection. When they re-did the master bath (master bedroom and bath are over the garage), they ran some plumbing through the garage itself. Pretty weird. I was concerned if it got real cold they could freeze, though there are radiators out there. And I assume if they had major issues with it they would have disclosed them, as the work was done a few years ago.

he's dead, then

Can anyone else see the picture I posted? Thought I uploaded to imgur but I don't actually see it.

that looks like the drain pipe, right? it's probably not a big risk except the trap, which is in use pretty much every day, i would imagine.

MKXGTZD.png

Last edited:

anything is possible if you're willing to rip and tear. how close is the range to an exterior wall that they could punch through? at this point in our reno i assume everything that I want but seems challenging is at least $2k

I'll echo the "anything is possible" thought. The better questions are the ones about cost and degree of difficulty. The answers are highly dependent on distance between your existing gas piping and your range and what you have to go through to install a pipe between them.

You could need to tear up slab and either go under or remove and replace walls. Or go through walls and have boxed in pipes or...

How much are you willing to spend to indulge this wish? Stove itself is nominally $1k. Add costs from there.

I'll echo the "anything is possible" thought. The better questions are the ones about cost and degree of difficulty. The answers are highly dependent on distance between your existing gas piping and your range and what you have to go through to install a pipe between them.

You could need to tear up slab and either go under or remove and replace walls. Or go through walls and have boxed in pipes or...

How much are you willing to spend to indulge this wish? Stove itself is nominally $1k. Add costs from there.

The stove is along the outside edge of the wall so I’m assuming it will involve trenching the yard.

that looks like the drain pipe, right? it's probably not a big risk except the trap, which is in use pretty much every day, i would imagine.

MKXGTZD.png

The white is the drain pipe with the trap as you mentioned. The dark is two supply pipes with black foam insulation with an electric heat cable wrap that plugs in in the garage in winter.

ah, i thought that was a gas line or something. Boy that seems like a functional but hackneyed way to do it. Saved a ton, I'm sure. Question i would have is whether or not the radiators functional in the garage? i have a large bank in my garage (home was built in '61) but it seems like they were cut off from the circuit at some point.

All that said, I have an insulated supply line (for an exterior faucet) and never had a problem, the garage usually hangs out around the mid 40's even in winter unless someone leaves the garage door open.

Back