• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Ok another tile question for anyone who doesn't mind.

Q5HwhuCE0BDhbSG0u2Li24BYruuTgWN0pnEZxJbiODCDsrtpIzG7ScMV58atzD2TQAbg5faMTuOyuEnHyKsEH-hOEPEscNe3a8eglWkgVuup-B0IYj4Twgp_RMXD7495ErWc6LgMuHeIoKS1Nbj9AAeAHtPs0dUMHIt6Qk385m4VvTVM6cfQnOe8im5WQkFCxdbhg-SXme2XOMiaaZu3iw90cvkvEIg05-eb_QRKZG7imJqzhP9_kYiC8U3GLo02GJtZqaCJzjLUxtA51juETLIGgCqFA7ZNeid_U0jsEWIk51u5TQZEQwpGoQtZE2BgujmJ3tJxqDvzBUwVBDxRU2p6-du4kPoHfmVKBV8jO134euh2-Hl_ElpFQxaqm9His_erAFrLf_ftzOqfYBoJR2zma5MmAcbyYv9kSVPnMVKMZaWkfPdb50gjb___capibQaRanpEsGYo2JfHkxOjUhWGOTyIXJbW_qgnly-_nxu4I3NWtRuCTYhLzHuS-3-8fHeefFisgR8YLwFIrYQeRuwKq_SE14kLqZ27NFdVfCRsQkuMZ4dWcpmBX_IJ79L6MHfSARFWZAE19TWlwZbSOLkEAw-q-ReCXD6Uzs2ZaXZmnkLWKS91F5QnHOLTpx52SHah8vNwKOd0amO6siV0Du_WS3mCfm4=w902-h640-no

This is the outer corner of a niche in our master shower. Sorry for the rough tile renderings. Is there any reason for concern to have the jolly tile (shown in gray, but won't be gray) mitered into the corners? So there'd be horizontal and vertical jolly, and that miter would be a curve running at the 45 into the niche. Would a grout line on that look funny? You could do the same thing with regular bullnose tiles, mitered along the depth edge here, but apparently our tiles seem to chip pretty easily, so jolly would be a better choice. And for the record we don't like the look of any Schluter edging.

well, we started demo on our bathroom this weekend. Hopefully this will be relatively quick (replacing vanity/sink, replumbing the shower, replacing backerboard and re-tiling tub/shower surround, refinishing the tub so it's white, painting the walls, and painting the floor (with porch paint; we did it in our other bathroom too and it's been great as a short-term solution to the vinyl that looks like vomit).
This is a total bandaid fix for now, as long-term plans involve losing the tub and doing a bigger shower; we'll do the floor in tile at that point. Similarly, the other bathroom will get a tub (it currently has a shower stall), so we'll do tile at that point in there. The goal here right now is to just end up with two functional bathrooms, one of which has a tub.

...then we'll be doing bigger remodel stuff on the house, where we demo a wall, carve some space out of an existing bedroom and some space out of a bonus den area, put in a window, and create a 4th bedroom.
This is all really smart and easy stuff to do while pregnant. Very excited. :tard:

well, we started demo on our bathroom this weekend. Hopefully this will be relatively quick (replacing vanity/sink, replumbing the shower, replacing backerboard and re-tiling tub/shower surround, refinishing the tub so it's white, painting the walls, and painting the floor (with porch paint; we did it in our other bathroom too and it's been great as a short-term solution to the vinyl that looks like vomit).
This is a total bandaid fix for now, as long-term plans involve losing the tub and doing a bigger shower; we'll do the floor in tile at that point. Similarly, the other bathroom will get a tub (it currently has a shower stall), so we'll do tile at that point in there. The goal here right now is to just end up with two functional bathrooms, one of which has a tub.

...then we'll be doing bigger remodel stuff on the house, where we demo a wall, carve some space out of an existing bedroom and some space out of a bonus den area, put in a window, and create a 4th bedroom.
This is all really smart and easy stuff to do while pregnant. Very excited. :tard:

2zfvr6.jpg

I mean - it's not hard to write a check and get out of the way.

where's the fun and adventure in that? especially when it's pretty inexpensive stuff, and I don't want to pay labor for something I can do myself.
(on the other hand, if someone wants to come spread an assload of mulch around our yard, be my guest/take my money)

What is the difference in the cost of a cement driveway vs asphalt one? I have an asphalt one but it is breaking down. I asked a guy for a cement quote as he has done several in my neighborhood. The price came back a whopping $19,200. It wasn't gonna be down for a while but its really not gonna be done for a while now.

What is the difference in the cost of a cement driveway vs asphalt one? I have an asphalt one but it is breaking down. I asked a guy for a cement quote as he has done several in my neighborhood. The price came back a whopping $19,200. It wasn't gonna be down for a while but its really not gonna be done for a while now.

It might be worthwhile to get a quote on an asphalt resurface. Not seal coat, but a new 2 inch layer of hot mix asphalt. Depending on oil prices, should be about 1/4 the price of the concrete.

That seems way out of whack. Granted it was over 10 years ago, but I added 500 square feet to the end of my cement driveway for $800. Maybe the cost is in ripping out the asphalt? But yeah, from a structural standpoint asphalt is trash compared to cement, especially around here where it gets hot and the asphalt melts in the summer leaving weighted tire ruts in the driveway.

That seems way out of whack. Granted it was over 10 years ago, but I added 500 square feet to the end of my cement driveway for $800. Maybe the cost is in ripping out the asphalt? But yeah, from a structural standpoint asphalt is trash compared to cement, especially around here where it gets hot and the asphalt melts in the summer leaving weighted tire ruts in the driveway.

Part of the reason asphalt develops tire ruts is because the stone base underneath is too thin and/or not properly compacted.

It might be worthwhile to get a quote on an asphalt resurface. Not seal coat, but a new 2 inch layer of hot mix asphalt. Depending on oil prices, should be about 1/4 the price of the concrete.

Guess it’s time to go with gravel.

Our gas cooktop developed several days ago a wicked scary short/arc, quite loudly flashing/buzzing. Burned up part of the steele top.

Bulky item pickup is tomorrow. Today I removed the cooktop, kept the grates and burner caps and spreaders, taped a warning sign on it about “danger—do not plug in...short/arc” and put it on the street. Before I could get back indoors, someone picked it up.

Planning to order the replacement tomorrow, probably will install it myself. Seems pretty straightforward.

Our gas cooktop developed several days ago a wicked scary short/arc, quite loudly flashing/buzzing. Burned up part of the steele top.

Bulky item pickup is tomorrow. Today I removed the cooktop, kept the grates and burner caps and spreaders, taped a warning sign on it about “danger—do not plug in...short/arc” and put it on the street. Before I could get back indoors, someone picked it up.

Planning to order the replacement tomorrow, probably will install it myself. Seems pretty straightforward.

Just make sure you thoroughly check your gas connections for leaks.

Yep. Will do if I install.

Going to go talk to a local appliance dealer this morning and see if they can match the online price and what they charge for installation.

Meanwhile, the camping stove has been great.

Last edited:
To follow up, I ended up purchasing the gas cooktop through the local store as they were able to match the Internet price.

Installed myself. Not really that hard to do. And no gas leaks!

To follow up, I ended up purchasing the gas cooktop through the local store as they were able to match the Internet price.

Installed myself. Not really that hard to do. And no gas leaks!

Congrats on the successful installation. May you enjoy many meals cooked on it.

I’ve got guys here installing a new dishwasher, gas cooktop, and a double oven.

Moving day is tomorrow.

Back