• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Thanks for the feedback! As that sounded like more work than I felt like doing, I ended up finding these at Lowe's.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-10-Pack-Assorted-Length-x-3-16-in-Dia-Toggle-Bolt-Drywall-Anchor-Screws-Included/3183815

The only toggle bolt I could find that calls for 1/2" hole, and it has a built in plug to stabilize it in the hole. It ended up working really well because the bolt was just barely big enough for the key hole on the back of my hanger, so I pressed it onto the bolt then used the hanger itself like a screwdriver to drag the bolt and tighten it into place. It's actually more stable and less toggle-y than my other hangers (yeah, since keyhole hangers suck really bad, especially since you can't tighten the screw in the usual way after installing, but I'll blame my wife for the choice). I kind of want to just do this with the other 5 hangers to be honest, I'm surprised at how well it worked.

Glad you got a solution that works for you.

Has anybody swapped out a 4 wire ceiling fan switch? The chain broke (I believe it might have been on?) and I looked at a few youtube videos, opened it up and got the correct part (https://www.amazon.com/ZE-268S6-ZE-...words=hunter+fan+zinger&qid=1582672905&sr=8-4)

Took pictures of the wiring in the existing part. The wires went back easily/snuggly in the new switch, put it back together, turned the breaker back on and....... nothing.

Any suggestions?

Has anybody swapped out a 4 wire ceiling fan switch? The chain broke (I believe it might have been on?) and I looked at a few youtube videos, opened it up and got the correct part (https://www.amazon.com/ZE-268S6-ZE-...words=hunter+fan+zinger&qid=1582672905&sr=8-4)

Took pictures of the wiring in the existing part. The wires went back easily/snuggly in the new switch, put it back together, turned the breaker back on and....... nothing.

Any suggestions?

Some possibilities I'll throw out there.

There is a wall switch somewhere that controls the power to the fan.

The breaker didn't reset properly. Push it hard off, then on. Not just from "middle" off to on.

The new switch is bad. Not too likely, but such switches do have a failure rate above zero.

Notwithstanding the careful photo you took of the old switch, the wiring for the new switch was different. Make sure that in particular the black and white wires from the house power are connected to the right places.

The start/run capacitor failed when the old switch broke. (See the "also bought together" items on the link you provided.)

If you have a volt meter or V-O-A multi-meter, and feel comfortable doing it, check and make sure you have power from the house lines to the fan. If you know how to do this, do it. If not, I'm not taking you through this on an internet message board.

Some possibilities I'll throw out there.

There is a wall switch somewhere that controls the power to the fan.

The breaker didn't reset properly. Push it hard off, then on. Not just from "middle" off to on.

The new switch is bad. Not too likely, but such switches do have a failure rate above zero.

Notwithstanding the careful photo you took of the old switch, the wiring for the new switch was different. Make sure that in particular the black and white wires from the house power are connected to the right places.

The start/run capacitor failed when the old switch broke. (See the "also bought together" items on the link you provided.)

If you have a volt meter or V-O-A multi-meter, and feel comfortable doing it, check and make sure you have power from the house lines to the fan. If you know how to do this, do it. If not, I'm not taking you through this on an internet message board.

I took everything apart and double checked with my original photos: every wire was correct. I'm went ahead and ordered another capacitor (I checked and it is the correct part for my fan). It is like 6 bucks from amazon. If that doesn't work, I plan on hiring a couple of people to just come in and wave a giant palm frond.

I took everything apart and double checked with my original photos: every wire was correct. I'm went ahead and ordered another capacitor (I checked and it is the correct part for my fan). It is like 6 bucks from amazon. If that doesn't work, I plan on hiring a couple of people to just come in and wave a giant palm frond.

What I was trying to say is that the proper wiring for the new switch might not be the same order as the wiring for the old switch. Manufacturers sometimes do this, well, because they can. So switch from manufacturer A isn't exactly the same as the one from manufacturer B.

If the problem isn't one of the things I mentioned previously or the run/start capacitor, I'm done with what I can diagnose from across the internet without putting a meter on it and seeing where the power stops.

My front yard sees almost full sun year round and we have gone with fescue the last 7 years with the same result from July until fall, burned brown grass. This past year we planted a bunch of rye just for the hell of it and it is still super green and lush. Obviously it will die soon and the plan was to invest in Bermuda or Zoysia which would involve killing the rye and then sodding to the tune of about 4-5K. I am not inclined to do this in the economy.

Is there a mix of rye and something else than can survive brutal upstate SC summer?

My front yard sees almost full sun year round and we have gone with fescue the last 7 years with the same result from July until fall, burned brown grass. This past year we planted a bunch of rye just for the hell of it and it is still super green and lush. Obviously it will die soon and the plan was to invest in Bermuda or Zoysia which would involve killing the rye and then sodding to the tune of about 4-5K. I am not inclined to do this in the economy.

Is there a mix of rye and something else than can survive brutal upstate SC summer?

I don't know. But I have put in Zoysia at two different houses in Columbia and it has been great. I water maybe 3 times a summer once it gets established. Lush like a carpet.

What I was trying to say is that the proper wiring for the new switch might not be the same order as the wiring for the old switch. Manufacturers sometimes do this, well, because they can. So switch from manufacturer A isn't exactly the same as the one from manufacturer B.

If the problem isn't one of the things I mentioned previously or the run/start capacitor, I'm done with what I can diagnose from across the internet without putting a meter on it and seeing where the power stops.

Well, I ended up replacing the entire fan. I'm not a huge DIY but I'll do a quick good search and if I see a video and think I can do it, I give it a try. The hardest part was that one of the screws on the mounting bracket was completely stripped and I ended up drilling through it to remove it. Luckily I was holding it underneath.

Surprised there hasn't been more on here. Extra time at home should lead to extra "when I get a round tuit" projects.

We've spent more time at home but frankly I don't feel like we have more time at home.

I've putzed around and "built" some things for the kids by nailing together some scrap pieces of wood, and wife and I are thinking projects but can't seem to find the time to do anything.

We've spent more time at home but frankly I don't feel like we have more time at home.

I've putzed around and "built" some things for the kids by nailing together some scrap pieces of wood, and wife and I are thinking projects but can't seem to find the time to do anything.

same. it's probably confounded by the fact I have an infant at home. but after the work day is over (aka whenever I close my laptop) I have no motivation to do anything. I have a grand list of things, but nothing has been accomplished.

We have done mostly maintenance and also a few projects with what I’ve been able to find around the place. I haven’t been to the packed Lowe’s/HD since early March so there are some projects in the queue that are just waiting on materials. But I may make a quick trip this weekend for some drainage stuff, at least I can stay in the outdoors section that way.

Not really home improvement, but I bought a golf cart from a course off of Facebook and have spent the last few weeks getting all the course crap off and pimping it out with an oversized suspension, rear seat, bigger wheels/tires, mirrors, battery gauge, and LED lights. And of course a Dukes of Hazzard horn.

I have some lights outside that aren’t working so I went and got new light fixtures and such and tried to install them and they too aren’t working. Using a voltage detector it seems I have live wires for both the black and white wire, does this mean there’s probably a leak somewhere that the two wire must be touching? Makes sense why the lights aren’t working as there’s no way to completely the circuit. I’m assuming this is a job for an electrician to figure out?

I finally had this taken care of, took an electrician 8 hours to troubleshoot it and figure it out so made me feel much better.

this came up on my Twitter feed and I've been thinking about it, esp since we rarely use our soap dispenser. seems like an easy install.

planning to build a big open shelving unit to use as a room divider in my living room so I can section off a home office

below is roughly what I'm thinking -- trying to decide if I want to spend up and get hardwood or just roll with pine -- any thoughts?

also, any feedback on joint strength? haven't really looked into bracket options -- not sure if I want to paint or stain it, but don't want too much of an industrial look

Qha5ufq.png

A few initial thoughts. If you plan to put books on the shelves, need to add more vertical support. Otherwise you need to limit load to light stuff.

You could put the horizontal 1x3 directly in between the verticals. Put the "3" dimension vertical for a stronger build.

2x2 would give more strength. 2x4 much stronger and probably cheaper but more industrial. The rounded edges are a give away.

Hardwood would look better if you intend to have the grain show (Stained and then sealed.) But it will be hard to find in 1x12x 10 ft. long. (Or do you have a source and good price?) Also way more expensive.

Is something that tall but made of lightish wood like pine going to be stable at only 12” wide? Seems like it’ll take next to no effort for a accidental bump to rattle stuff off the shelf if not knock it over completely.

We have done a lot of yard work and cleaning out of the garage.

We hired a guy to do some painting and he has taken forever to get that done. We just want to have one room in our house that is completely done.

A few initial thoughts. If you plan to put books on the shelves, need to add more vertical support. Otherwise you need to limit load to light stuff.

You could put the horizontal 1x3 directly in between the verticals. Put the "3" dimension vertical for a stronger build.

2x2 would give more strength. 2x4 much stronger and probably cheaper but more industrial. The rounded edges are a give away.

Hardwood would look better if you intend to have the grain show (Stained and then sealed.) But it will be hard to find in 1x12x 10 ft. long. (Or do you have a source and good price?) Also way more expensive.

thanks!

I think the blue part above makes for a cleaner look too

yeah, the hardwood price sheets I'm getting from lumber yards on those long boards are like $100+, so leaning toward adding more vertical boards and going with the cheaper lumber

my brother proposed something like this, that I think would be fun:

AelH0gX.png

any thoughts on the feet/base? I live in an old building with uneven floors, so might want something adjustable (though that could make the top look wonky)

Back