• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Will you be getting more hens? Or is the space maxed out? Do/will you move the coop around the property?

Will you be getting more hens? Or is the space maxed out? Do/will you move the coop around the property?
We're hoping to get 6 per year with a life expectancy of 3-4 years. The new coop is designed to hold 20 hens, and we're accounting for losing a couple each year. We started out with 6 this spring, until 1 drowned in the swimming pool. This thing is permanently set. No moving of this one. There really isn't much need to, the chickens free range from sun up to sun down. We will be adding an automatic door in the coming weeks once the power is run.

Very Impressive. Job well Done! Bravo!

I too would have thought the ramp was too high and steep, but if the chicken users are OK with it, then all is well.

I like the practicality of being able to open up the whole back if necessary. Make the job of cleaning it out so much easier.

Are you putting in automatic feeders and waterers? Or will that be a people job, along with collecting eggs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whf6kiR_OY8&t

Here's the video that served as the inspiration for the design. He does a good job of detailing the functionality of everything, and he's out of Raleigh. I'd highly recommend watching it if you are interested in chickens or building a coop.

For right now the 3 gallon waterer and 15lb feeder are enough to last my hens a week or so. As we expand the flock, I'll have to adjust accordingly, but since they free range so much, the hens really don't eat that much feed. The only maintenance at first will be checking for eggs each day.

I will warn you, this setup cost a few grand for me to build mostly by myself. A bit pricey, but I wanted something secure that I could feel comfortable leaving my hens in overnight. My cousin had a weasel get into his coop the other day and kill one of his hens. Didn't eat it, just killed it. Between that and the coyotes around, I decided to go full bore.

Last edited:
Quartz enhances psychic abilities. It aids concentration and unlocks memory. Stimulates the immune system and brings the body into balance.

Granite vs. quartz vs. marble countertops. What say you?

I think quartz is the way to go

cheaper and easier to maintain than marble and looks about as good

granite is cheaper, but does require annual sealing (though I don't know if people actually do it)

I was very happy with the quartz options available to me and happy with the way it looks once installed

We like quartz, but something about how it's a manufactured product just kind of makes it less appealing for some reason. Saw some epic, and surprisingly reasonably priced, marble slabs we really liked, but the maintenance/likelihood of staining is concerning.

Quartz seems like a no brainer, unless you're just absolutely in love with the look of granite or marble. That's what we're doing in our house build.

A site with some pros and cons on quartz vs granite.

https://countertopinvestigator.com/quartz-granite/

The only other issue not mentioned is heat. Granite is much more resistant to hot pans, cookers etc. than is quartz. Hot things can do permanent damage to quartz. Heat resistance is partly a function of the mineral to resin ratio in the quartz material.

After 3+ years, today was the last day of renovations on our house. Hallelujah!

Congrats on getting to the end of the renovation. Would you share a brief account of what you had done and any lessons learned?

Gonna do most of the demo ourselves starting this week on the new property. Contractor was surprisingly fully supportive of us doing it. Should save us ~$5K.

Gonna do most of the demo ourselves starting this week on the new property. Contractor was surprisingly fully supportive of us doing it. Should save us ~$5K.

Getting rid of debris from demolition is a major PIA. Many places a homeowner can dispose for free while the contractor would have to pay.

We built our house last year and did quartz everywhere. We had one from Cambria that we had used in a reno in our old house that we went with almost everywhere, and then had one other stylet chosen for some of our bathrooms.

Back