• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

I'm thinking of getting a new toilet in my apartment, is this something someone can install without a plumber, or do I have to spend like $150 on a plumber for this.

I'm thinking of getting a new toilet in my apartment, is this something someone can install without a plumber, or do I have to spend like $150 on a plumber for this.

An entirely new toilet? Probs something you'd want a plumber to do, especially knowing your skillset.

Is your apartment up flights of stairs? If so, it might be worth saving yourself the hassle of carrying a toilet with water in the trap down stairs/out an elevator to just pay someone else to do it. If you've got the $ to spare.
Otherwise, it's not a particularly hard thing to do... just kind of cumbersome. And potentially gross.

so i want to do this around my flower bed at the front of my house:

c5a480d2d52a3f43fafaa8d37a5b23da.jpg

has anybody done anything similar? have any tips? think i could accomplish it solo in one weekend?

It would be much quicker and easier if futuremrdeachoops helped. One additional person handing you the stones will save a lot of wear and tear on your back. Make sure you start out with a level base of sand or granite dust.

Palma, knowing where you are and your handiness, I'd say hire a plumber.

toilet didn't work for awhile. I took awhile to get it fixed when I could have called plumber right away. Grossness ensued.

so is there just a pile of poo overflowing now?

also, did this coincide with the hiring of jeff [Redacted]? art imitating life?

so is there just a pile of poo overflowing now?

The poo had some adhesive qualities that bonded witht he ceramic at the bottom of the bowl that no brush or solvent can begin to penetrate and break down. I then resorted to scraping it off with a pair of scissors, but that just scratched up all the ceramic, so now the new poo seeps into the scrapes caused by the scissors.

so i want to do this around my flower bed at the front of my house:

c5a480d2d52a3f43fafaa8d37a5b23da.jpg

has anybody done anything similar? have any tips? think i could accomplish it solo in one weekend?

I did something similar with my FIL 2 years ago. It looks great. It's simple in principle. It SUCKS in execution. We did it over a weekend in early June, and nearly died on the front lawn from heat stroke.

The poo had some adhesive qualities that bonded witht he ceramic at the bottom of the bowl that no brush or solvent can begin to penetrate and break down. I then resorted to scraping it off with a pair of scissors, but that just scratched up all the ceramic, so now the new poo seeps into the scrapes caused by the scissors.

:tard:

:tard:

Facepalm

It would be much quicker and easier if futuremrdeachoops helped. One additional person handing you the stones will save a lot of wear and tear on your back. Make sure you start out with a level base of sand or granite dust.

darnit. he's gone for a week (some work. some play. but gone until sunday evening), and i thought it'd be fun to surprise him. i asked the boyfriend of one of my best girlfriends to help, but it's her birthday and they have all sorts of family stuff going on, so his free time during the day is going to happen in like half hour chunks, which is less than helpful when they live 10+ minutes away from me. i guess this isn't going to be a surprise.

darnit. he's gone for a week (some work. some play. but gone until sunday evening), and i thought it'd be fun to surprise him. i asked the boyfriend of one of my best girlfriends to help, but it's her birthday and they have all sorts of family stuff going on, so his free time during the day is going to happen in like half hour chunks, which is less than helpful when they live 10+ minutes away from me. i guess this isn't going to be a surprise.

you could invite your mom to come help as extra quality time ...since, you know, you didn't do as much w/ her as you did with dhtoy's mom. totally makes up for it :)

you could invite your mom to come help as extra quality time ...since, you know, you didn't do as much w/ her as you did with dhtoy's mom. totally makes up for it :)

haha :). anything that approaches physical labor is a definite "no" for my mom, but there are still a couple of other friends i could ask. i'll see what they say before i bag the idea entirely.

Jesus Christ palma

What's the best way to clean paintbrushes after you're done with them so you can reuse them?

Back