• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Should have maybe asked you folks first...but just ordered a replacement kitchen faucet. Anyone have experience with this one...?

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Handl...ogy-Stainless-9178T-AR-DST/dp/B01N4L0IGO?th=1

The only advice I'll throw put there is generic to any kitchen faucet with a pull out sprayer. Make sure there is room for the hose underneath the sink. Make sure it doesn't get caught by valves, drain lines cleaner bottles etc.

Do you have a specific question?

Yea, Moen makes a hose management device...https://www.amazon.com/Moen-159060-Hose-Guide/dp/B0088X7S4C

Not sure if it'd work for the Delta, but seems possible mostly depending on if the under sink hose diameter is the same.

We have a pull out faucet now and haven't had any problem with the hose tangling. So maybe we'll be OK with this pull down Delta.

Question...does the touch on/off feature work well or not? Was trying to decide between this Delta and a touchless Moen with some sort of sensors in front and on top. I ended up concluding the touchless one would probably be more frustrating with it turning on/off while working in the sink. So we went with this touch sensitive one.

Now they're making voice activated faucets but We're not yet into the whole smart home stuff...maybe later.

Yes, thought about just a simple one with no hose or electronic features. Decided to try this Delta...so wondering if anyone has had experience with this technology....positive or negative.

Thx.

Damn, Habitat getting picky. Will only take donations of appliances and window units new in box. Who TF is going to donate those, other than maybe contractors who overbuy windows?

Other ideas on places to donate?

Damn, Habitat getting picky. Will only take donations of appliances and window units new in box. Who TF is going to donate those, other than maybe contractors who overbuy windows?

Other ideas on places to donate?

Really? Is this a Habitat ReStore or one of the new home build programs?

My wife bought a closet organizer from Costco a couple of years ago that we used in our bathroom without the clothes rods before buying our current house.

We decided to put it into the guest closet this weekend and I way underestimated the effort involved.

Decided after taking down the old wire shelving that the closet needed to be patched and completely repainted.

Then after installing the main tower realized on of the metal poles was too long so my neighbor and I cut it down with a Dremel.

The other side of the poles would have been on an angle so had to drill new pilot holes.

Looks great but I need a weekend from my weekend.

ReStores have been buried with stuff from people who did lots of projects during the Covid shutdown. Donation restrictions also came from needing to open up the floor space for proper distancing.

Many people used those extra hours from not commuting to work through items on the "honey do" list.

Makes sense. I've probably done 10-12 hours of grueling demo in the last 3 days and am exhausted. Literally filled an entire construction dumpster to the brim though, so feeling pretty accomplished. 90% done.

My wife bought a closet organizer from Costco a couple of years ago that we used in our bathroom without the clothes rods before buying our current house.

We decided to put it into the guest closet this weekend and I way underestimated the effort involved.

Decided after taking down the old wire shelving that the closet needed to be patched and completely repainted.

Then after installing the main tower realized on of the metal poles was too long so my neighbor and I cut it down with a Dremel.

The other side of the poles would have been on an angle so had to drill new pilot holes.

Lol

Sounds like a typical experience for me when I DIY.

Congratulations on getting it done.

Congrats on getting it done. Now have a good week working to rest up.

You hit two of the big reasons DIY projects take longer than planned. Add-ons to the project, in your case patching and painting. Pieces don't fit where they have to go so modifications are necessary. Glad you got it done.

OTOH, today I fixed a 15 year old laser printer that was squealing like pig and not working in less time than I imagined it would take from this YouTube video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFp2KLCFgpY

Earlier in the stay-at-home era, I was having problems with my home scanner. After extensive internet searching and failed solutions, I found the best solution was percussive maintenance; AKA just hitting it and dropping it lightly. The thing starting working right away!

I'm having trouble catching mice. I have used the old fashoned snap trap, glue boards, and this metal box with a trapdoor. I baited all with cheese and peanut butter. Who's got a trick?

only surefire method I know of is cats

if you're not allergic, maybe borrow a friend's cat for a day -- even the scent of cats is a big deterrent

I'm having trouble catching mice. I have used the old fashoned snap trap, glue boards, and this metal box with a trapdoor. I baited all with cheese and peanut butter. Who's got a trick?

Are they ignoring the traps or stealing the bait?

Mice and rats like to run along walls. Put your traps there. Long dimension parallel to wall. Make sure they don't have any other food available.

Had good success catching critters with the live traps (metal cages with trip plates). Mix peanut butter, unsalted sunflower seeds and mini marshmallows to use as bait. Put trap up against a wall or structure so as to eliminate the possibility of the rat getting at the bait from any additional sides. Set traps in evening and check in the morning.

Back