• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Stealing the bait off yhe snap traps, ignoring the others.

If you’re using old school traps, tie a small piece of floss or string to the trap and then bait with peanut butter - the mice will try to take the string and that will help spring the trap. They might steal the bait a few times, but eventually they will want the string and that will get them.

next I need to replace the sink

pros and cons on the different options? I'm leaning porcelain for the look

plumbing situation won't allow for a deep sink

If you’re using old school traps, tie a small piece of floss or string to the trap and then bait with peanut butter - the mice will try to take the string and that will help spring the trap. They might steal the bait a few times, but eventually they will want the string and that will get them.

Damn. Good idea.

next I need to replace the sink

pros and cons on the different options? I'm leaning porcelain for the look

plumbing situation won't allow for a deep sink

Some things to pay attention to:
Spacing and number of holes in the sink compared to the hole number and spacing needed for whatever faucet set you install. Don't forget one for your dishwasher air gap.

Make sure you seal around the edge where the sink meets the counter very well.

I prefer a sink that mounts below the counter, because it means the sink is the low point. However, it's not that big of a deal. Does not apply if the counter is Formica over wood.

Sink material and double vs single is mostly personal preference, and somewhat dependent on space.

Holy hell cabinets are expensive. Our custom quote came in literally double what our GC had budgeted. Looking into prefab options now, but even Lowes was well above budget.

Holy hell cabinets are expensive. Our custom quote came in literally double what our GC had budgeted. Looking into prefab options now, but even Lowes was well above budget.

Shame on the GC for not knowing the market.

However, good wood is more expensive because of the tariff war with Canada.

[MAGA!]

Feeling satisfied...replace total tank to bowl toilet hardware, gaskets, and flush/fill valves in 4 toilets and installed an electronic Delta kitchen sink faucet. The faucet was relatively easy once I got the right tool needed to remove the old one. Was pretty frustrating until I obtained these handy things...

51DHbS5-4DL._AC_.jpg

[MAGA!]

Feeling satisfied...replace total tank to bowl toilet hardware, gaskets, and flush/fill valves in 4 toilets and installed an electronic Delta kitchen sink faucet. The faucet was relatively easy once I got the right tool needed to remove the old one. Was pretty frustrating until I obtained these handy things...

51DHbS5-4DL._AC_.jpg

Same for me a couple months back but I got a basin wrench instead

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Basin-Wrench-16PL0127/304217758

Both are very useful for plumbing repairs of faucets. And they don't cost a lot.

my current sink is a drop-in sink that was here when I moved in, but quartz counters are brand new

is drop-in my only replacement option on the sink without doing work on the counters?

my current sink is a drop-in sink that was here when I moved in, but quartz counters are brand new

is drop-in my only replacement option on the sink without doing work on the counters?

Certainly that is your simplest option. To do an underneath mount you would need to install clips or brackets under the countertop top hold the sink. This can be hard to impossible. Depends upon the space you have between the inside of the sink base cabinet and the edge of the sink opening. You need enough space to install the clips and tighten them after the sink is in place.

During the installation process you also need to support the sink until the glue and sealants set. I find a screw jack (check your car trunk) useful. Put it on something sturdy to reach the bottom of the sink. Put a board on top to distribute the pressure to the whole sink bottom
The screw allows very fine adjustment to get just enough pressure to hold everything in place. Much easier than boards and shims.

Big Box Orange has a pretty good set of "how to" instructions.

We re-did the bathroom last summer. Now we've got water effects presenting at the bottom of the tile/corner of the tub (at the transition to drywall), indicating that water is somehow leaking behind the tile cement board but still onto the lip of the tub (we stapled plastic over the studs overlapping the lip of the tub before then installing the cement board as a tile backing. Going under the house shows no water on the framing around the tub or under the tub, so it's got to be contained within that tile/cement board/plastic area. We have access through the wall from our other bathroom, but just .... ugh. Not excited about cutting holes in the wall.

We re-did the bathroom last summer. Now we've got water effects presenting at the bottom of the tile/corner of the tub (at the transition to drywall), indicating that water is somehow leaking behind the tile cement board but still onto the lip of the tub (we stapled plastic over the studs overlapping the lip of the tub before then installing the cement board as a tile backing. Going under the house shows no water on the framing around the tub or under the tub, so it's got to be contained within that tile/cement board/plastic area. We have access through the wall from our other bathroom, but just .... ugh. Not excited about cutting holes in the wall.

Is the tub fill spout tightly sealed to the supply pipe? Sometimes a little water can flow backwards in the filler and go back through where the pipe exits the wall. Or you could have a small leak around the faucets/ stems/mixing valve.

Single or two handle water control?

Is the tub fill spout tightly sealed to the supply pipe? Sometimes a little water can flow backwards in the filler and go back through where the pipe exits the wall. Or you could have a small leak around the faucets/ stems/mixing valve.

Single or two handle water control?

Yeah, looking harder at the fill spout would be a good thing to check first before going through the wall - good suggestion.
It's a two handle control (technically three, as we have a twist handle for diverting to shower). Lots of potential problem spots.

Back