• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

anybody have a smart lock system they love?

looking to install one for a room in our building that allows us to grant temporary access and track when someone enters

looking to install one for a room in our building that allows us to grant temporary access and track when someone enters

I haven't found a residential option that I'm in love with. Good luck with a commercial application.

Love may be a strong word, but we have a Yale Assure Lock w/ the Connect by August or whatever it is called.

https://august.com/pages/connected-by-august

You'll have to have wi-fi and then an outlet to plug the bridge into, but it would do everything it sounds like you want it to. You can set up codes for different people via the app, and then define what days/times they are active, and you can lock it and unlock it remotely. There is a log of when the lock opened and closed and who it was that controlled it. You can have it auto lock after being unlocked for x amount of minutes, and have it automatically unlock when you approach the door with your cell phone.

I got quoted $400 to fix the motor on my LG dishwasher that was here when I moved in, but best guess is between 5 and 10 years old -- I'm reaching out to the previous owner to find out

Looks like a good replacement would be about twice that

any thoughts on replacement vs. repair -- is there an age of the existing dishwasher that you'd say is the cutoff line for the decision?

how much is the cost of a motor and could you replace it yourself?

looks like it is motor and sump pump -- never done it, but might could figure it out

dishwasher is 11 years old, I figured out, so might not be worth the trouble

problem is everything is backordered on account of covid

I would just get a new one, personally. Aside from the motor, I feel like there are other things that could eventually go wrong, like gaskets and leaks and heating elements and other stuff like that. I feel like 11 years is a long time for a dishwasher, at least these days. We replaced a 7 year old dishwasher about a year ago because it simply stopped cleaning the dishes and we couldn't figure out the issue.

Have you tried AJ Madison? I just did a quick search and they seemed to have a lot in stock. I got a new fridge, the new dishwasher, a new hood and a new range last year from them and it was super easy. Not sure how they are handling delivery and install during covid, but I don't see any big disclaimer on the site so it may be business as usual.

I would just get a new one, personally. Aside from the motor, I feel like there are other things that could eventually go wrong, like gaskets and leaks and heating elements and other stuff like that. I feel like 11 years is a long time for a dishwasher, at least these days. We replaced a 7 year old dishwasher about a year ago because it simply stopped cleaning the dishes and we couldn't figure out the issue.

Agreed.

I agree with all this
Once you pass the 10 year mark on current day appliances, it is rarely worth the cost and effort to make major repairs.

agree with the others as well. if 11 years old, bye bye!

We replaced our 7 year old dishwasher last year and we were pleased at how much more advanced it was.

We replaced our 7 year old dishwasher last year and we were pleased at how much more advanced it was.

The one downside to the newest dishwashers is that they no longer have mini garbage disposals built in. Instead, they have a filter you need to clean after each load.

I liked having the mini GD because you didn't need to worry about what you left on the plates. It was eliminated to meet noise requirements. The GD run was the noisiest part of the wash water drain phase.

The one downside to the newest dishwashers is that they no longer have mini garbage disposals built in. Instead, they have a filter you need to clean after each load.

I liked having the mini GD because you didn't need to worry about what you left on the plates. It was eliminated to meet noise requirements. The GD run was the noisiest part of the wash water drain phase.

you clean it each load? wtf are you putting in their, dude

you clean it each load? wtf are you putting in their, dude

Just repeating the manufacturers instructions. I look and see what's in the filter every time I empty my dishwasher. My filter is visible.

Kind of hypothetical question if anyone has any ideas. I would love to put a pool in my back yard someday, we have a well and a septic system. In a perfect world, I'd LOVE to build a small pool house with a bathroom, a wet bar, etc. That pool house definitely be below the level of the main drain for the house. Would the drain have to have a pump and drain back to the house and then to the septic system, or is it possible to tap into the septic system from a separate area (e.g. don't go through the house first)? Is there another option entirely? Additionally, that house likely wouldn't get used all the time so it might sit there for long periods without the water running/pump doing anything. That seems like maybe a problem?

This will all likely happen in some way, but not for a couple years, I've just been curious about it for a while. My wife doesn't want a pool until the kids are slightly older.

One piece of the answer has to come from the government entity (county) that approved the septic system. What are their rules on a second tap in? If they don't care, then the ground slope would be a big factor.

With any water system that will be unused, is there danger of freezing? If so, will the time the pool house is unused be during the cold season? If so, design the water system to be drained easily, use compressed air to empty it and leave it dry when not in use. This is commonly done for northern beach houses.

If your system needs to be wet, then a long term timer, like that used for irrigation systems could be used to run it for a short while every week or two.

Back