• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Finally buckled down and finished (mostly) the bathroom remodel I fucked up a bit by deciding to use stick on wallpaper, which looks fine but I hate putting it up more than nearly anything in the world at this point. Finishing that after half a year of procrastinating led to finally redoing the baseboards and putting in the new vanity and plumbing today.

We moved into a new (older) house in Winston in the fall. Fortunately for us, the previous owner had already done quite a bit of work - at some point, he converted it from a duplex back into a single family home, which left what originally had been the downstairs laundry room, off the first floor kitchen, as empty space. We converted it into a wine room/dry bar.

729fad760b0ca6604507284c2a8dca8e.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really nice. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you take advantage of the old washer connections and put in a small bar sink?

Looks really nice. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you take advantage of the old washer connections and put in a small bar sink?

Good question. We didn't really think we needed it as this room is adjacent to our main kitchen sink. We wanted the space for beverage and wine coolers and a small cabinet.

Good question. We didn't really think we needed it as this room is adjacent to our main kitchen sink. We wanted the space for beverage and wine coolers and a small cabinet.

I just find a small sink right where you are making drinks useful for rinsing glasses, knives, spoons, fingers etc.

We moved into a new (older) house in Winston in the fall. Fortunately for us, the previous owner had already done quite a bit of work - at some point, he converted it from a duplex back into a single family home, which left what originally had been the downstairs laundry room, off the first floor kitchen, as empty space. We converted it into a wine room/dry bar.

729fad760b0ca6604507284c2a8dca8e.jpg

pretty sure i have that same wine fridge. Warning - it crapped out after 5 months, so hang on to the warranty. They paid for the repairs.

Didn’t want to start a new thread, so I’m posting here. I need to buy a mattress for our new bed. Willing to spend some coin on something good, but I really don’t know where to begin. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Didn’t want to start a new thread, so I’m posting here. I need to buy a mattress for our new bed. Willing to spend some coin on something good, but I really don’t know where to begin. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Well, this is one project where whatever human beings who will be frequent users of said mattress need to be full partners in the selection.

Start with what you are on now. How does it feel? Too hard? Too soft? There are websites that discuss mattress buying. Take a look at them. Consumer Reports just reviewed mattresses. Get through your librarary, or subscribe. There are others. Search engines work for this. "Mattress reviews." These will help with the technical jargon used by mattress makers. You can learn what matters and what is advertising fluff. Or, as I like to call them, differences without significance.

Try out Sleep Number or similar air inflated bed. Figure out what number each of you likes best. That will give you an idea of how firm each person likes.

Try out a bunch of mattresses. Pillow top, yes, no? Memory foam? How do the people involved like (or dislike) these?

Once you find something you like, try to find a hotel that uses that mattress and spend a night or two mini-vacation on it.

We actually bought a mattress after determining that we always slept well at Hilton brand hotels and we called the hotel and asked them what their mattresses were.

We bought a casper after I posed a similar question on facebook a couple years ago and it got the most recommendations. I am a big fan. Husband has slept any/everywhere in various deployments and likes it too, but again... he'll sleep on anything. If we wanted to spend a lot of money we'd probably have gone more the sleep number route. That said, we're cheap and anything was going to be an upgrade from the full-sized foam ikea mattress I'd bought after moving out of my last place.

Live like a Swedish King and get yourself a Hastens

https://www.hastens.com/us

I'm a big fan of Stearns and Foster but go to a furniture store or two that have a good selection and try them out.

I’ve got a strong desire to have our kitchen redone but have no clue where to start other than a potential contractor.

The current one is fine and was updated. We switched to gas and updated the appliances when we move in almost 2 years ago.

It’s not that functional and has a lot of dead space. The island has no electric and the range is only 30”.

I’ve got a strong desire to have our kitchen redone but have no clue where to start other than a potential contractor.

The current one is fine and was updated. We switched to gas and updated the appliances when we move in almost 2 years ago.

It’s not that functional and has a lot of dead space. The island has no electric and the range is only 30”.

Before you see a contractor, I would suggest you and other significant users of the kitchen make a detailed written commentary on the items in your last paragraph: "not functional" and "lots of dead space."

What makes it not functional? Fridge too small? Too far from counter? Sink too small? People running into each other?

Dead space is dead because? Too much countertop clutter? No cabinets, but should?

Stove too small because you want to do??? That it won't. How big do you need or want? Big difference between fitting a 36 in range and a 60 inch commercial range.

Answer these questions for yourself first, because a good designer will ask them and more as the answers come out.

Then paper sketch of the kitchen, or use one of many home design apps and start designing. Many apps are free.

Have some idea of your budget constraints. What amount, presumably more than the cost of a case of beer and les than a lottery jackpot are you?

Yeah. The not functional issues are a lack of usable counter space (like the island not having electric) and a small stovetop with a low hood. The dead space is created by a space designed for a table but that is like 20 feet from our dining room.

Because our dining room furniture splits the difference between casual and formal we eat our meals in there (when we don’t just eat on TV Trays in the family room).

Yeah. The not functional issues are a lack of usable counter space (like the island not having electric) and a small stovetop with a low hood. The dead space is created by a space designed for a table but that is like 20 feet from our dining room.

Because our dining room furniture splits the difference between casual and formal we eat our meals in there (when we don’t just eat on TV Trays in the family room).

OK. So one significant issue is getting electricity to the island. How many outlets? How many circuits? Need 220 Volts? (Cook top on the island?)

The size of the bigger stove will drive the size of the new hood. Usually they are the same size. Is raising the hood up simply a matter of taking out or changing height of cabinets or are you against ceiling?

Your new layout will be where you make that table space into cabinets and countertop. Remember that the project becomes much more difficult and expensive if you move the sink/dishwasher/water/sewer very far.

OK. So one significant issue is getting electricity to the island. How many outlets? How many circuits? Need 220 Volts? (Cook top on the island?)

The size of the bigger stove will drive the size of the new hood. Usually they are the same size. Is raising the hood up simply a matter of taking out or changing height of cabinets or are you against ceiling?

Your new layout will be where you make that table space into cabinets and countertop. Remember that the project becomes much more difficult and expensive if you move the sink/dishwasher/water/sewer very far.

12" dick. Just swinging meat. Huge. Beast.

Induction Cooktop

Any of you have experience using an electric induction cooktop or range? Thoughts about it?

I'm thinking about going to one. There will be an added difficulty, as I suspect much of my current cook ware will have to be replaced.

Back