• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

bat house? that's at least the method we're going with (we have a dog that licks/eats EVERYTHING, so having an all-natural solution is pretty important to us)

bat house? that's at least the method we're going with (we have a dog that licks/eats EVERYTHING, so having an all-natural solution is pretty important to us)

Whoa, reading about that now. Any downside to this method? Would assume you have increased risk of bats coming down chimney?

Whoa, reading about that now. Any downside to this method? Would assume you have increased risk of bats coming down chimney?

i would imagine that it increases the risk of bats getting into your house, yes. as far as i know, that's really the only downside. supposedly the best place to hang it isn't on a tree, it's either on a house or on a big pole. we chose big pole in order to keep them away from the house. so far, no issues (also no bats yet though. still waiting. it's only been a couple of weeks).

I haven't touched my overgrown backyard yet, but I have seen a bunch of mosquitos or some other flying insects all buzzing around in the yard, sorta swarm-like. Guess I should do something about that too.

There's not really a good solution for yard specific insects. We've got bats around the house (no bat houses, just living in the wild in caves in my back yard), and still have mosquitoes. They're not the cure-all that a lot of people think they are. It is fun to watch the bats fly through the air and eat the insects though, but it doesn't drastically cut down on the amount of bugs in your yard. The insects reproduce so fast. You can limit the mosquito breeding grounds by eliminating standing water around your property, but unless all of your neighbors do the same, they can just fly into your yard. Its a pain and smells, but bug repellent is the only thing you can truly do to keep them away.

We built a screened porch on the back of our house and it's probably the single best improvement we've ever made. Fresh air, no bugs.

hey DUDES, need to redo the cabinets and countertops of a small condo kitchen. any suggestions on the best place to go for an estimate? my fiancee's aunt claims cabinets to go is good, but i don't know much about them.

hey DUDES, need to redo the cabinets and countertops of a small condo kitchen. any suggestions on the best place to go for an estimate? my fiancee's aunt claims cabinets to go is good, but i don't know much about them.

Go to Angie List for references (its like $10 per year) or ask friends.

So I'd like to replace my front door knob and deadbolt for security and aesthetics. Over the weekend I replaced my side door knob and bolt which was easy as it was standard and everything fit into the existing hole. However, my front door is a different story. There is a big metal plate around the knob which I cannot find a replacement for, unless I'm just looking in the wrong places/searching the wrong terms. When I started disassembling, I discovered the plate is important because it covers up old holes in the door from a different style of knob. I want to change the color so I can't just re-use the existing plate (unless I get some metal spraypaint, which I fear would just scratch before long).

The plate is about 3.5x10.5 inches. I'm finding "back plates" for much smaller knobs and pulls, like on a kitchen cupboard, but nothing this size.

I've been wanting to get a new front door completely, so I can have a window in the door. Should I just wait to replace the knob until I have a door without big holes to cover? Or does anyone have ideas for where I could find a plate like that? some other term to search?

here is the plate turned sideways so I could see beneath when disassembling:
4df77e24d07711e29d9922000a1f8ad7_7.jpg

Did you see the YHL post today? They posted about replacing knobs on interior doors with backplates like that. Not sure if it will be helpful for a front door like that but maybe! And it might link to their former post about spray painting a bunch of knobs in their old house - so it's a thing people can do if you want to go that route!

honestly, if you're looking to replace the whole door... I'd just wait. Otherwise, the rustoleum metal spray paint stuff is pretty effective, especially if it's just a short-term fix for until you get a new door.

I did see YHL today, I think that is what led me to discovering "back plate" might be the right term, since they got knobs with plates on them. I need a much larger size though (that's what she said). I have read their posts on spray painting door hardware, which is why I considered it in the first place, but my dead bolt sticks something wicked (every day I am scared my key will break, I have to turn it so hard) and WD40 is no help at all, so I really want to replace it entirely, and have new keys that match both bolt and knob. I feel like I might not get a good color coordination if I buy a new bolt/knob and try to paint the existing plate.

RTQ, have you looked to see if the deadbolt is rubbing on the bottom of the lock? If so, it could be as simple as a sagging door from your home settling over time. Its a relatively quick and easy fix.

I'll watch that at home - it could be possible. I really really want to get rid of the ugly gold fixtures though, regardless.

Guess I need to start shopping for a new door. There were some nice ones at ReStore but they weren't in the best shape, so I think I probably want a new one to be sure it isn't damaged. I'll probably need to hire someone for that project.

btw - what should I do with an old thermostat? it has mercury inside so I shouldn't just throw away (though I did totally put a broken CFL in the garbage, shhh). would ReStore want the thermostat?

if you think you'll replace the entire door down the road, you could just use the rustoleum spray now, right? i understand thinking it may scratch down the road, but if it's a short term fix anyway, might as well?

Well I can just keep living with the gold fixtures for now; I don't want to bother with spraypainting if I'll be replacing it soonish. The bolt sticking is really the worst part, but now that I have a key to the side door since I replaced that bolt/knob (didn't receive a key to the side door at closing) it doesn't stress me out as much.

If it is not the weight of the door causing the lock to stick like tsy suggests (which it probably is), try spraying some Marvel Mystery Oil in there instead of WD-40. It stinks like ass and you don't want it on your hands, but it works a lot better on corroded metal pieces than WD-40.

RTQ, have you looked to see if the deadbolt is rubbing on the bottom of the lock? If so, it could be as simple as a sagging door from your home settling over time. Its a relatively quick and easy fix.

i just tested and though I cannot tell from the video what the sagging door really is supposed to look like, the bolt sticks when I turn it with the door open, so I feel like that might negate sagging as a problem?

I'll look for that other oil stuff 2&2 mentions next trip to the hardware store.

Back