• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Look at the gap between the top of your door and the door jam. If the gap gets larger the further you get away from the wall, its sagging.

I'm pretty booked up this week, but if you want me to swing by one afternoon next week and check it out I'll be happy to. If it is sagging, I can fix it in 15 minutes.

So our tiling project is almost completed, we borrowed our neighbor's wet saw which saved us a ton of time. That thing is a beast.

Yesterday we were grouting and realized we hadn't bought enough, so I ran out to Lowe's to get more. In the meantime, we didn't clean up the grout on the tile surface fast enough and it hardened, so we spent a ton of time yesterday trying to scrape/scrub it all off, and we're not done yet. Note to any future DIYers, as soon as you grout the spaces between the tile, wipe off the tile surface right away.

reorganized the garage (again) yesterday. Bought this little bike stand to keep my kids' bikes from being leaned against my car all the time:

079325001450lg.jpg

So I start assembling this thing at the end of the day after having slaved away in the heat all day in the yard, so I'm dripping sweat and mentally exhausted. Even with that, I quickly realize that if I followed the instructions literally, I would assemble the thing bass-ackwards and inside out from the way it looks on the box. Had to throw away the instructions and just use my innate instincts of how things work to get it put together. Seems like a solid product once assembled though.

hopefully replacing our kitchen cabinets soon. they're in rough shape. but we already have nice countertops that the previous owners put in. has anybody renovated a kitchen while keeping the existing countertops? is there some sort of huge extra expense that we should expect for them having to take them off carefully and put them back on?

hopefully replacing our kitchen cabinets soon. they're in rough shape. but we already have nice countertops that the previous owners put in. has anybody renovated a kitchen while keeping the existing countertops? is there some sort of huge extra expense that we should expect for them having to take them off carefully and put them back on?

should still be cheaper than new ones

I don't think it should be a huge problem, but you need to be real clear with your contractor about your expectations and discuss who is going to pay for it if they get broken. If you have granite countertops that are a fairly standard type of granite, it won't be a big deal to replace a section that gets damaged, but if you have some kind of exotic granite pattern it might not be possible to replace just one section. The risks of the whole operation would go way down if you have non-stone countertops of some kind.

a little before and after on our little urban deck. the after wasn't quite dry, the rustoleum is a lot more smooth now.

wt8tgn.jpg

wsoa4n.jpg

The product managed to turn your deck 90 degrees. Impressive.

Ugh, I don't envy you trying to replace cabinets while keeping the existing granite. It is the one thing that is keeping me from redoing the countertops in our new place. I don't want to be stuck with that mess when I want to upgrade the cabinets.

do you actually have to replace the cabinets, or can you just reface them?

do you actually have to replace the cabinets, or can you just reface them?

i mean, we don't HAVE to do anything. but we want to replace them. they are the original kitchen cabinets, and my house was built in 1955. they're in rough shape. the drawers don't even have sliders on them. it's actually just wood rubbing on wood every time you open and close them. so then on the shelves under the drawers, i get little wood shavings all over everything. plus we want to make some changes, like take out the small cabinets that are above the gas stove and put in a pretty hood.

ah, ok. nevermind then :)

we just had our kitchen cabinets/counters finished this morning

bjcuie.jpg

f1fi8k.jpg

How much did the new doors run you? Who did you get to do them?

So moved into new neighborhood last week, and it seems there is a neighborhood fox. I've seen him 3 times in less than a week. He's either been running up and down my street or chilling in the neighbor's yard that borders my backyard.

Is this thing a threat to small children? Or large dogs? I don't give a fuck if it kills rabbits and squirrels and a cat or two. But I want to make sure I'm protecting my family.

yes, granite. and i haven't gone to look for them at the store or anything, but i'm assuming that they're not an unusual color or anything.

The important thing when removing and moving granite is that the weight is evenly distributed to keep the pressure from being in any one spot leading to cracks. If you have 6-8 friends that can help you lift the countertops when you move them, that'll help immensely. You'll find that the granite is glued to the cabinets, and that's all that is holding them there.

So moved into new neighborhood last week, and it seems there is a neighborhood fox. I've seen him 3 times in less than a week. He's either been running up and down my street or chilling in the neighbor's yard that borders my backyard.

Is this thing a threat to small children? Or large dogs? I don't give a fuck if it kills rabbits and squirrels and a cat or two. But I want to make sure I'm protecting my family.

Typically foxes are essentially harmless to children and large dogs unless its rabid. They're more interested in smaller rodents and bugs. As long as you know the typical symptoms of rabies, you'll be fine. The fox should be startled by humans and run off if approached.

Back