Page 16 of 133 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666116 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 2648

Thread: Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

  1. #301
    Anyone have any input on drilling screws into a concrete basement wall? They will be for 2-4 large support masonry screws. The Dewalt 18v doesn't even come close to even drilling holes for hanging pictures. Additional information, it is concrete that is covered in a thick semi textured paint that makes the room look like it's not concrete..

  2. #302
    rent a hammer drill w/ a masonry bit, use tapcons?
    I know how to spell definitely.

  3. #303
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    Quote Originally Posted by lbE08 View Post
    paint the trim paint the trim paint the trim.



    otherwise it ends up looking like you live in a coloring book (white/pale walls, dark outlines)
    aw I think wood trim can look nice. but mostly painting the trim will be a ton more work and I'll have to buy white paint in addition to the primer and wall paint. wish I could just magically win the lottery without playing it so I could hire someone else to do this.


  4. #304
    i really love wood trim with super light walls. but wood trim or white trim are the only acceptable options, IMO. never, ever any other color (i.e. nothing like the awful blue trim in the yhl house)

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by MACdeac View Post
    Anyone have any input on drilling screws into a concrete basement wall? They will be for 2-4 large support masonry screws. The Dewalt 18v doesn't even come close to even drilling holes for hanging pictures. Additional information, it is concrete that is covered in a thick semi textured paint that makes the room look like it's not concrete..
    Sounds like you just need to get a legit corded drill. Absent that, you could try first drilling a smaller pilot hole and gradually build up to the necessary size.

  6. #306
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHoops View Post
    i really love wood trim with super light walls. but wood trim or white trim are the only acceptable options, IMO. never, ever any other color (i.e. nothing like the awful blue trim in the yhl house)
    yeahh definitely not other-color trim. their blue was rough.

    this is the paint color I am leaning toward right now. a little sagey, a little minty. Bonsai Tint

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTheQuad06 View Post
    yeahh definitely not other-color trim. their blue was rough.

    this is the paint color I am leaning toward right now. a little sagey, a little minty. Bonsai Tint
    did you get a sample size of it first? i was always instructed to go with the lightest color on the paint swatch. i ignored that once, and was pretty disappointed with how it turned out. i definitely think that lighter = better for the vast majority of indoor colors.

    eta: i think the color itself is gorgeous. i would just go a shade or two lighter.

  8. #308
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHoops View Post
    did you get a sample size of it first? i was always instructed to go with the lightest color on the paint swatch. i ignored that once, and was pretty disappointed with how it turned out. i definitely think that lighter = better for the vast majority of indoor colors.

    eta: i think the color itself is gorgeous. i would just go a shade or two lighter.
    I haven't yet. I'll probably do the primer first and then get the paint once I have the walls primed. The lightest color on the swatch barely looks different from white (when I was walking around the room with the paint swatch), and I definitely want there to be noticeable color in the room. Thanks for the tip though, I should (reluctantly) spend the extra money and time to get a sample.

    I painted my apartment a bright green color and loved it. I don't want it this bright again but I do like some color.


  9. #309
    yeah, i know what you mean about it looking white. when i started painting my living room when i bought my house, i painted a super light grey. and when i started actually putting it on the wall, i was so upset because it looked white, not grey. by the time it dried though, it looked awesome.

    if bold colors are your thing though, have at it. but regardless, i would suggest the paint samples . those itty bitty swatches really can't give you a good idea of what it will actually look like.

  10. #310
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    Washed two of the walls in my wood panel room last night with TSP substitute stuff. They were absolutely filthy, mostly the top ~18 inches which were just coated in grime. Makes me wonder if a smoker lived there in the past or something to cause that upper part to be dirtier than the rest. I'm told the oil furnace can produce some soot if not well maintained, but there was no particular relationship between the filth and the air vents in the room. Was pretty neat to watch the wood grain reappear from under the layer of black.

    Now I am also considering replacing the large sliding doors on the closet, which are made of the wood paneling, with something else. The back one on the track currently catches on the other somehow and there is a long gouge in the wood. It would probably look better to have something new, and I think they would be a challenge to paint. However I don't know if I replace them myself. Plus I'm not sure if I want a bifold or what. Maybe I could even use a curtain, though I'm not sure if I could find a tension rod long enough.

    I guess the nature of homeownership is that every project creates at least one other project.

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTheQuad06 View Post
    Now I am also considering replacing the large sliding doors on the closet, which are made of the wood paneling, with something else. The back one on the track currently catches on the other somehow and there is a long gouge in the wood. It would probably look better to have something new, and I think they would be a challenge to paint. However I don't know if I replace them myself. Plus I'm not sure if I want a bifold or what. Maybe I could even use a curtain, though I'm not sure if I could find a tension rod long enough.
    I stayed in a hotel/condo room a few weeks ago where the master bathroom door was a teak two-piece sliding door like a closet door, but with big vertical bar handles on each and each piece slid back into the wall so it could be fully open, fully closed, or somewhere in between. It looked really cool because the doors didn't overlap or stack on each other at all. I thought that would be interesting to make, but wasn't sure what they did with the studs in the wall that it was sliding back into. I imagine it wasn't load-bearing so may have just been a stud-less fake wall of some sort. Or I guess if it was load-bearing you could build a fake wall out from the real wall that the doors would pass through, though you would lose a few inches of the room that way. But it looked pretty impressive.

  12. #312
    We have a couple of bathrooms that still have wallpaper and we want to get rid of it and paint the rooms. I have talked to a couple of people who just put primer and paint on top of wallpaper, instead of removing it. Does anyone have any experience with that? Is it advisable? I know removing wallpaper can be a pain but I was assuming that was what we would do.

  13. #313
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    Quote Originally Posted by 2&2 Slider To Leyritz View Post
    I stayed in a hotel/condo room a few weeks ago where the master bathroom door was a teak two-piece sliding door like a closet door, but with big vertical bar handles on each and each piece slid back into the wall so it could be fully open, fully closed, or somewhere in between. It looked really cool because the doors didn't overlap or stack on each other at all. I thought that would be interesting to make, but wasn't sure what they did with the studs in the wall that it was sliding back into. I imagine it wasn't load-bearing so may have just been a stud-less fake wall of some sort. Or I guess if it was load-bearing you could build a fake wall out from the real wall that the doors would pass through, though you would lose a few inches of the room that way. But it looked pretty impressive.
    I'm trying to picture this. So was it a pocket door? I do like those but don't think it would be a possible solution for this room. I don't think much in my house will ever look "impressive" either, it's just a little starter home that needs to look better.

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter84 View Post
    We have a couple of bathrooms that still have wallpaper and we want to get rid of it and paint the rooms. I have talked to a couple of people who just put primer and paint on top of wallpaper, instead of removing it. Does anyone have any experience with that? Is it advisable? I know removing wallpaper can be a pain but I was assuming that was what we would do.
    I did that in my kitchen. Just primer/paint over the wallpaper. If the wallpaper is in good condition (no tears, etc.) then I would recommend it. If you look closely, you can see the seams from the wallpaper, but they aren't noticable.

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTheQuad06 View Post
    I'm trying to picture this. So was it a pocket door? I do like those but don't think it would be a possible solution for this room. I don't think much in my house will ever look "impressive" either, it's just a little starter home that needs to look better.
    Yeah, I just Googled pocket door and that is apparently what it is called. I'd seen similar things where it was just one door, but never two coming together like that. Kind of like this, but in like an ancient Roman design:


  16. #316
    Robert O'Kelley
    dot com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Posts
    7,473
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter84 View Post
    We have a couple of bathrooms that still have wallpaper and we want to get rid of it and paint the rooms. I have talked to a couple of people who just put primer and paint on top of wallpaper, instead of removing it. Does anyone have any experience with that? Is it advisable? I know removing wallpaper can be a pain but I was assuming that was what we would do.
    Depends on the condition of the glue behind the wallpaper. The act of painting it could soak it enough that the wallpaper just falls off. Wallpaper removal isn't that bad, it just requires patience. I use a cheapass steamer, scorer, and a scraper and have gotten it off flawlessly 95% off the time.

  17. #317
    i've also had friends use just a regular steamer to take down the wallpaper, and with that they said it was no big deal.

  18. #318
    so we have a dishwasher, but it isn't anchored into the cabinets or countertop and i don't see any brackets to do it. am i missing something or is this normal?

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter84 View Post
    We have a couple of bathrooms that still have wallpaper and we want to get rid of it and paint the rooms. I have talked to a couple of people who just put primer and paint on top of wallpaper, instead of removing it. Does anyone have any experience with that? Is it advisable? I know removing wallpaper can be a pain but I was assuming that was what we would do.

    knowing your neighborhood... and assuming it is probably similar in construction to my parent's house... i'd recommend taking the wallpaper down, especially because it's in a bathroom. if it hasnt started to peel at the corners yet, it probably will soon (from shower steam/moisture/etc). my parents have redone 3 bathrooms in the last 5 years, and in each the paper-removal process was pretty painless. score, steam, peel.
    i know the ladies of the pit talk about this site often, but younghouselove.com has had a couple recent posts about wallpaper removal tactics (as the house they just moved into had a ton of paper).
    I know how to spell definitely.

  20. #320
    The husband and I are looking to regrout the tiles in our master bathroom shower. How hard is this? Should I just pay someone to do it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •