• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

the answer to your question is no. In my opinion, if you've already proven you can do it by hand, why the fuck do it again, unless the finished product looks worse or you can't afford the nail-gun?

The only constraint I can see is owning a nail-gun that might see little service.

Okay, thanks. I definitely think I'll get other use out of the nail gun for larger projects, so that is less of a concern. My basement is completely unfinished, so at some point in the next few years I will tackle that, and this should come in handy.

Nail guns are so nice though, we borrowed my neighbor's to drive nails into our baseboards and quarter round and it made it go by so much faster. I think his was gas-powered since you would get a whiff of gasoline every time it fired, it felt kinda badass to use tbh. Also, I can't let this slide without posting this:

Nail guns are so nice though, we borrowed my neighbor's to drive nails into our baseboards and quarter round and it made it go by so much faster. I think his was gas-powered since you would get a whiff of gasoline every time it fired, it felt kinda badass to use tbh. Also, I can't let this slide without posting this:

Awesome scene.

we're about to get the hardwoods refinished in our home. two bedrooms have carpet over old hardwoods, so we plan to get the carpet torn off, any problems patched, and then the floors refinished. and the guy who is doing it suggested that we get the entire rest of the hardwoods refinished as well since the finish is mostly worn off anyway, and then it'll all match. that tripled the cost, but he's right that the rest of the floors would look a lot better, so we plan to do it.

now i'm trying to convince myself that moving out ALL of the furniture from an entire floor of my house is a manageable thing to do. i had prepared myself for emptying one bedroom (the other is already empty because my roommate moved out and we knew we were doing this, so we intentionally didn't put anything back in there yet). but bedroom + living room + study + dining room is making this much more daunting. ugh.

I thought you were moving? If you're moving, I'd let the new owner refinish the floors while the house is empty after the transfer. Will you really be able to recapture the cost of refinishing the floors in a resale?

We replaced our pedestal sink with a vanity and bought new tubing to connect the water line to the hot/cold outlets. The tubing is a little longer than the length between the two posts, so is there any harm in that? It's pretty sturdy tubing so I'm not worried about it kinking or anything, but there is a lot of slack between.

not moving in the near future. dhtoy wants to buy mountain property with the intent of eventually building a home there, and when i asked where the money was coming from, he agreed that we could stay in the house for a few more years.

not moving in the near future. dhtoy wants to buy mountain property with the intent of eventually building a home there, and when i asked where the money was coming from, he agreed that we could stay in the house for a few more years.

images

Anybody ever painted fabric chairs? We have some wing backs that are hideous.

Anybody ever painted fabric chairs? We have some wing backs that are hideous.

Attempted this one. It was a massive failure. I'd recommend recovering. If you are in NC, there are tons of fabric outlets where you can get the fabric to recover the chairs for next to nothing.

On another note, has anyone completely gutted and redone a kitchen? I'd love to ask some questions and pick some brains about that process.

We replaced our pedestal sink with a vanity and bought new tubing to connect the water line to the hot/cold outlets. The tubing is a little longer than the length between the two posts, so is there any harm in that? It's pretty sturdy tubing so I'm not worried about it kinking or anything, but there is a lot of slack between.

Can't you cut the tubing?

Attempted this one. It was a massive failure. I'd recommend recovering. If you are in NC, there are tons of fabric outlets where you can get the fabric to recover the chairs for next to nothing.

On another note, has anyone completely gutted and redone a kitchen? I'd love to ask some questions and pick some brains about that process.

I can probably answer some of your questions. I worked for an electrical contractor through college and during my year off before law school

What was so difficult about it?

Can't you cut the tubing?

my guess is he got the braided flex lines to connect the hook-up to the fixture. there's no harm in having them longer, other than they just dangle and get all in the way when you're trying to put a 24-pack of TP under the vanity.

Back