• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Based on TWDeac's post about Bosch tools, does anybody have any experience with Ridgid tools? Most notably their lithium ion line of drills and impact divers and such? I've read some good reviews and i like the lifetime warranty on batteries. Those suckers are expensive.

I have a Ridgid jigsaw. I've never been overly impressed with it, to be honest. Not great power (corded) and the angle gauge isn't too precise. No experience with their drills though.

Random DIY question. We just had a fence put in at the house. It's all pressure treated pine. How long should I have to wait before it can be stained? A lot of the wood was pretty wet when they put it in and I know I usually wait about 90 days on painting/staining pressure treated lumber, but does that still apply to fencing since it's standing up with open air flow on it all day? Any chance I can stain it sooner than spring?

Based on TWDeac's post about Bosch tools, does anybody have any experience with Ridgid tools? Most notably their lithium ion line of drills and impact divers and such? I've read some good reviews and i like the lifetime warranty on batteries. Those suckers are expensive.

Rigid is good stuff, most contractors I worked with used them exclusively

No. The bench is for the kids. We are looking for chairs for the other side.

Gotcha, my family had something similar when I was growing up (bench for the younger kids on one side, chairs on the other).

are you happy with the semi-gloss finish?

Yes. Initially was going to go with Satin, but the wife surprisingly wanted Semi Gloss, which I think shows off the richness of the stain and wood grain better.

Over the past week, I built a window seat for a bay window that I have in my living room.
Total cost was about $200 --- ~$100 for wood, etc, ~$100 for foam / upholstery for the cushion.

Before (after I already had pulled off the window stool and apron and baseboards):
Tojsl0Tl.jpg

Structure showing storage:
hCrPjbDl.jpg

Mostly finished product (got a little more trim and finishing work to do):
QnbR1Ull.jpg

Props to LK for the guidance and letting me borrow some of his tools.

The more that I watch DIY and HGTV, the more I think that I really want to buy my mom's old house from my uncle and just totally gut it.

Anybody have any experience with power tools from Harbor Freight? Everything I've ever bought from there has been either (1) disposable things like duct tape, rope, zip ties, grease, shop rags, gloves that don't have any quality concerns; or (2) specialty tools that I knew I was only likely to use once or twice every couple of years so low price outweighed quality concerns, like certain ratchet extensions, laser transom, breaker bar, etc. They have some ridiculous black friday deals on power tools (for example, that Craftsman 10" sliding compound mitre saw that was linked a few pages back for $200, they have their Chicago Electric version on sale for $80 - they probably come from the same damn factory in China), and i was thinking of picking up a couple of items for my sister and brother-in-law who just moved into a house and keep having to borrow my tools. But if they are straight garbage and going to crap out pretty soon, or have safety concerns, then I would probably just get them one higher quality tool from another store. Thoughts?

Harbor Freights tools are awful. Good luck keeping that mitre perfectly aligned after a year of use.

I also buy small stuff from there, but never any power tools.

I'm thinking about building a new workstation L desk for my office this winter. Want the top I have a hardwood inlay pattern of something such as Brazilian rosewood, walnut, or Mahogany.

Also found some plans online for building a varifocus triple monitor arm using oak.

LK,

Nice work on the table. Smart to think of using the floor inside to get the table aligned properly. Nothing more annoying than having the DR table rock a little bit. You will be glad you put the four coats of poly on the table. When we were growing up, my father put that on the wood floors in the house. 20 years later, when my folks moved out, you could hardly see any wear on the floor. And that was not from lack of effort on the part of the four kids.

Tsy, what was your per square feet cost for installing your hardwood floors?

does anyone have a preferred website for buying window treatments? I am in the market for cordless cellular blinds and it looks like they would be $100+ per window at Lowes, so I figured I should look elsewhere. So far I'm seeing better prices at blinds.com but am just curious about experiences with other sites.

Planning to build a new shed/playhouse combo in my backyard this spring. Anyone been down this road, have suggestions, plans, tips, etc.? Wife has requested that it appear "quaint."

Built some new shelves for our basement this weekend. Ain't pretty but functional, plus my wife and i managed to complete the project together without strangling each other.

MQ6wL8P.jpg

Back