• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

I have a breaker that trips every time I try to reset it therefore rendering the outside lights of my house useless. I have never messed with a breaker box, but it doesn't seem to me like a breaker should be a hard thing to replace. Anyone have any experience in this arena?

I cannot stand to paint by the way, and I've been doing it for two straight days. We're almost done repainting the Civic Club we've been renovating, but I still hate it with so much fury.

yeah, i hate to suggest that b/c that's a big pain to find (sometimes), but it's unlikely the the breaker would go bad. They're not expensive so I guess that's an easy quick fix try, though.

also agree RE: painting. i hate it. i didnt mind it the first few projects but now it's my least favorite maintenance/reno thing

I think I'll just call an electrician as I don't need to be messing with something I have no experience with. Thanks guys!

So that fan I hung had an issue with the light fixture. It kept flicking on and off.

Turns out that when all four bulbs were in they exceeded the max voltage for the fixture. I say fix but I had no idea that was a thing.

I want to replace all of the toilets in my house before I move in. I think I'm just going to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy three toilets and call a plumber to install them and hopefully dispose of the old toilets. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for when purchasing a toilet? I want something middle of the line but probably closer to the lower end of things, although not too cheap.

I picked up a toilet on sale at Lowes a while back for $99. Check the prices, then check with your plumber. He may actually have a contract price that is cheaper than what you can get at the Big Box Stores.

So that fan I hung had an issue with the light fixture. It kept flicking on and off.

Turns out that when all four bulbs were in they exceeded the max voltage for the fixture. I say fix but I had no idea that was a thing.

One possible simple solution is to go with four compact fluorescent or LED bulbs. They use many fewer watts to produce the same light as incandescent bulbs. It is the actual current (wattage) used, not the equivalent watts that counts in your situation.

My current package of "100 watt replacement" compact fluorescent bulbs actually use only 26 watts, so if your fan is rated for say four 40 watt bulbs, these should work, and you would be well below the rated wattage (4x40 =160 watts total, 4 x 26=104 watts total).

If that doesn't solve your problem then something is wrong with the fan or the circuit.

I want to replace all of the toilets in my house before I move in. I think I'm just going to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy three toilets and call a plumber to install them and hopefully dispose of the old toilets. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for when purchasing a toilet? I want something middle of the line but probably closer to the lower end of things, although not too cheap.

Full-width and length seat to be able to support a wide stance and full-comfort wiping. Also a steep-angle bowl to avoid the dreaded balls/dong shelf situation.

Just replaced the toilet in my main bath. I got a Kohler Cadet 3, round bowl, tall (16 1/2 inch) height, about $200 from big box home improvement center.

Consumer Reports did review toilets recently, so if you have access, (see your local library) that could help you decide.

Two considerations on shape/ height. Both are personal preference. Do you want the standard "round" toilet or the elongated, more oval toilet? Floor space in your bathroom may influence this decision. Do you want standard height toilet (14 inches from floor to top of bowl,not including seat or the higher "tall," "chair height" (lots of names for this) bowl that is about 16 - 17 inches from the floor. Both of these are personal preference and have nothing to do with operation of the toilet. If you have kids, the lower toilets are easier for them to use. Larger adults appreciate the extra few inches of sitting height and elongated bowl front.

Currently available toilets are all "low water usage" Some toilets have two flush modes, one using more water than the other. Puts extra meaning into "number 1" and "number 2." There are also toilets with "power flush" that use water pressure to create a water jet that operates when the toilet is flushed. One quick "woosh" and everything is gone. These can be noisy flushes, particularly during those wee hours of the morning uses.

Latest electronic gadgetry is the "no touch" flush. Just wave your hand over the magic spot and the toilet flushes.

White is cheapest "color" Other colors cost more, some just an extra $10 or $20, other fancier ones, more than that.

Two piece toilets are easier to handle for installation purposes - particularly if you are doing it yourself. Two forty - fifty pound pieces are easier to deal with than on piece that weighs 80 - 100 lbs.

Other installation notes: Make sure the distance from the wall behind the toilet to the hold down bolts in the flange in the floor is long enough for the toilet you choose. Not all toilets are the same. Most are 12 inches, but some older ones may be only eight. Use a new wax ring. Clean the old one off completely for a good seal. Messy job, but you will be glad you did it for many years after when everything seals properly. You may also need to replace the pipe or tubing from the cut off valve to the bottom of the tank. If you currently have a hard pipe, almost guarantee from here that the new toilet will need a different length and/or curve than the old. The newer braided flexible tubes are easier to use, just make sure you get one that has proper ends to match the size of your valve and the new toilet.

Now that you have read more than you ever wanted to know about toilet installation.....Good luck!

Reason why is the total current draw of the fan motor on high and the four light bulbs has to stay below the breaker size, with some margin because fans are generally on a circuit that powers other stuff. Don't want to pop the breaker every time you turn on the fan and its lights.

My folks had a breaker go bad a few years ago. It wouldn't stay in either the on or off position. It was a pretty easy fix that we did ourselves.

Just realize you can find things wrong with the flange once the old toilet is pulled up. Don't go with aqua source or glacier bay as the castings are far inferior and tend to clog up much more often than for example Kohler. The first two are the box store brands. There has been a lot of engineering going into the toilets recently that are a bit pricier to use less water but deliver a stronger flush. STAY AWAY FROM DUAL FLUSH TOILETS. American standards aren't bad. Just check to see whether you already have elongated or round toilet bowls. Also, check to make sure you have 12" from the toilet bolts(that fasten it to the flange) to the wall behind the toilet so you don't have to get a 10" rough tank. If you have any other questions pm me(I'm an actual plumber in the Raleigh area)

Just realize you can find things wrong with the flange once the old toilet is pulled up. Don't go with aqua source or glacier bay as the castings are far inferior and tend to clog up much more often than for example Kohler. The first two are the box store brands. There has been a lot of engineering going into the toilets recently that are a bit pricier to use less water but deliver a stronger flush. STAY AWAY FROM DUAL FLUSH TOILETS. American standards aren't bad. Just check to see whether you already have elongated or round toilet bowls. Also, check to make sure you have 12" from the toilet bolts(that fasten it to the flange) to the wall behind the toilet so you don't have to get a 10" rough tank. If you have any other questions pm me(I'm an actual plumber in the Raleigh area)

This makes me sad as on our bottom floor, we have a half bath with a Glacier Bay toilet and a full bath with a dual flush toilet.

This isn't by any means DIY, but we're currently having our 2 chimneys repairs (replace bricks, repointing, new caps), we're going to have our attic re-insulated (spray foam, the contractor basically laughed at what we currently have, explains why our house was often around 58-60 degrees in the mornings last winter), and we're having a sprinkler system installed (thought I could do it with above ground stuff myself, that's not that easy with oddly shaped spaces). Yay spending assloads of money!

Oh we also had a tree cut down and the rest trimmed, which gets really expensive when you live on an acre. Ok sorry, I'm done complaining now. I underestimated the things that might need to be done when you buy a house (this is our first home, moved in last January).

Nice!

I decided late last week that I want to make J's present; should be simple enough w/ a Kreg Jig and a drill press.
Then I realized I don't own either of those things, and that nobody I know owns either of those things (drill press more understandable than nobody owning a kreg jig... but I guess if you don't build things there's no reason to have one)... and it dawned on me how much I took for granted that my dad owns every tool in the world.

Back