• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

My landlord just replaced our AC unit and they replaced the thermostat at the same time and my thermostat is no longer programmable.

How hard could it be to replace that?

I installed a nest a few months ago and it took like 5 minutes and was super easy. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

I'll echo that - replacing a thermostat is easy. I got a simple 5/1/1 programmable one because I didn't think I'd benefit enough from the Nest to justify the huge cost difference, and I've been pretty good about overriding the programs in the morning every day that my schedule will differ from how I have it set.

Yeah. I'm debating splitting the difference between the nest and the 5/2 and getting one with Wi-Fi.

Something about being able to change it on my phone seems awesome.

I like this about the nest so we don't have to go downstairs to adjust if we get hot or cold.

Yeah. If we owned this place is probably go with the Nest.

Of course, I suppose I could always take it with me.

Last night I bought a ceiling fan and new light switch to replace a basic light fixture and dimmer switch. Hoping I find a sturdy looking electrical box in the ceiling when I get in there.

My landlord just replaced our AC unit and they replaced the thermostat at the same time and my thermostat is no longer programmable.

How hard could it be to replace that?

I installed a nest a few months ago and it took like 5 minutes and was super easy. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Pop it off the wall, remove 4 tiny wires, connect them to the new unit. The biggest issue is making sure you get a thermostat that supports the type of HVAC system you have installed.

Just make sure you get the proper color of wire connected to the proper place on your thermostat. Check where the wires are connected to your existing thermostat (what are the connections on the old thermostat labeled.) Most are labeled with the wire color, but if they are not, make a note before you disconnect. Also make sure that the wires are connected to the proper colors, to verify that someone putting in the old thermostat did it right, or could have used a five wire cable for a four wire thermostat. Pay attention and its easy.

Just make sure you get the proper color of wire connected to the proper place on your thermostat. Check where the wires are connected to your existing thermostat (what are the connections on the old thermostat labeled.) Most are labeled with the wire color, but if they are not, make a note before you disconnect. Also make sure that the wires are connected to the proper colors, to verify that someone putting in the old thermostat did it right, or could have used a five wire cable for a four wire thermostat. Pay attention and its easy.

I found it easiest to take a picture of the existing wiring before disconnecting the wires. Much easier than labeling.

And .com is right - make sure your thermostat supports your HVAC system.

even if you don't, it's not terribly difficult to upgrade it

I'm not sure how much access I have from the attic to this room. It's kind of unlikely that I want to try to install a new box, for that I'd probably call an electrician or handyman or something. Maybe I'll just put the fan on whatever is in the ceiling and pray it doesn't crush me in my sleep. :)

I'm not sure how much access I have from the attic to this room. It's kind of unlikely that I want to try to install a new box, for that I'd probably call an electrician or handyman or something. Maybe I'll just put the fan on whatever is in the ceiling and pray it doesn't crush me in my sleep. :)

You really don't want to attach a fan to a plastic electric box. The fan really needs a steel box that is well anchored to your ceiling joists.

Guess I'll see what I find when I take off the old light.

If you can''t get to the attic, there are fan support brackets that sometimes can be slipped through the hole for the box, attached to the joists, and then the box attached to the bracket.

My preferred (but you need attic access or willingness to make a hole in your ceiling) is a 2x4 cut to fit between the ceiling joists, with the 4 sides facing up/down, nailed with two 16 or 20 penny nails through the joists on each side (or use two 3 to 4 inch long wood screws on each side). Screw the metal octagonal box to the 2x4 with 1 1/2 inch #10 or #12 round head wood screws (biggest ones you can fit through the holes in the bottom of the box) Place it high enough so that the bottom edge of the box is just even with the ceiling drywall.

Well, I bought a WiFi thermostat and it was the same brand as what was already on there so I literally just had to slide the old one off and slide the new one on.

So what happened with the ceiling fan?

Fan is installed, though probably not in the ideal way. Had a friend come help, because when I started taking the light fixture down it looked different behind than the other light I recently changed. There was a board screwed into the ceiling and the ground wire was wrapped around the screw and right into the wood. Removed that and the metal electric box was maybe 4 inches higher up into the ceiling, and there were other capped wires in there not attached to the light at all, so I got a little confused. We tried to get to it in the attic, but there wasn't clearance. Ended up adding some extra support screws to the box and the beams around it, and just going ahead with the install. It feels sturdy.

2n9z50w.jpg

Congrats on getting the fan installed. Looks good! 3 blades is unusual.

Anyone have any tips on how to stop wasps (and what looked a little like a hornet...) from getting into the house? I'm planning on trying to find any small holes I can and filling them with spray foam and maybe taping to cover the space around the fireplace cover, but any tips on maybe something to look for beyond those?

Back