• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Kitchen and bathroom. I've run the disposal and tossed down some citrus and run hot water.

You might try ammonia or white vinegar/baking soda and let it sit for a but before flushing the sink. Should kill the gnats and the eggs.

I've heard that putting a few drops of dish soap in old wine and leaving the bottle open is a good trap as well.

Are they gnats or tiny fruit flies? During the summer we occasionally have issues with fruit flies and put out a jar of apple cider vinegar in a pint jar covered with seran wrap with a few holes poked in the top. That usually does the trick.

What can I expect if I try to use an air chisel rated at 4 CFM (recommended) with an Air Compressor rated for 2.5 CFM? I'm assuming the air compressor is going to run alot and I'll have to take breaks in between short bursts of using the air hammer/chisel...

I've used one of our extrication chisels (rated much higher than 4 CFM) with my 2.6 CFM compressor before, and it still worked, just not at the speed and power it's designed for. Are you doing light duty chiseling or heavy duty? Something very light, I think you'd be ok, but anything heavy probably not.

I've used one of our extrication chisels (rated much higher than 4 CFM) with my 2.6 CFM compressor before, and it still worked, just not at the speed and power it's designed for. Are you doing light duty chiseling or heavy duty? Something very light, I think you'd be ok, but anything heavy probably not.

I've got to remove rivets from the frame of my land cruiser so I can put a new bumper on. Will also involve grinding and drilling prior to using the air chisel.

How big are the rivets, and are they steel or aluminum? Is it something you can simply just drill out? That's the method I've always used.

How big are the rivets, and are they steel or aluminum? Is it something you can simply just drill out? That's the method I've always used.

1/2" or 7/16" steel, I believe. Body is still on the frame, so a drill press isn't an option.

The video was just the quickest example I could find of the technique in case you weren't familiar. I always use my regular electric drill when doing aluminum rivets. If they're steel though, drilling them out wouldn't be worth your time. I've done that a few times and it was not fun at all.

1/2" or 7/16" steel, I believe. Body is still on the frame, so a drill press isn't an option.

That is pretty big for a vehicle rivet. Are you sure they aren't bolts? Or are you talking head diameter, not rivet body diameter?

Many vehicles have the bumpers bolted on, not riveted, and I suspect the Land Cruiser would, because there are a lot of aftermarket bumpers with different set ups for winches etc., so the bumper needs to be (relatively) easy to remove.

Year of Land Cruiser? Front or rear bumper?

That is pretty big for a vehicle rivet. Are you sure they aren't bolts? Or are you talking head diameter, not rivet body diameter?

Many vehicles have the bumpers bolted on, not riveted, and I suspect the Land Cruiser would, because there are a lot of aftermarket bumpers with different set ups for winches etc., so the bumper needs to be (relatively) easy to remove.

Definitely rivets, and I believe they're 1/2" since that's the hardware I have to use to bolt in the new bumper. It's a 1989 and I'm going from this rear bumper (Factory):

images

to this:

fj60classicrearbumperthumb3.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, the bumper I'm putting in is relatively simple in that it slides into the C-Channel of the frame and bolts into the holes where the current/factory bumper supports and cross-member are riveted to the frame, which is why I have to back those rivets out as the first part of this install. The IH8MUD forums (Land Cruiser specific stuff) outline how to do the job with and without an air chisel; I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to me to buy the tool, or if it will be ineffective based on the relatively small size of my air compressor.

Just got a new compressor myself - 5gal, 2hp, 175psi, and 5scfm. My old one was a pancake that was rated for 150 psi, but it would kick off before 75. I tried everything to fix it.It was only a 1.5 gallon unit, so I figured it was time to buy and cry. Now I need a new air tool. I'm thinkin either a drill or impact wrench. I have two nail guns and an hvlp sprayer currently.

Just got a new compressor myself - 5gal, 2hp, 175psi, and 5scfm. My old one was a pancake that was rated for 150 psi, but it would kick off before 75. I tried everything to fix it.It was only a 1.5 gallon unit, so I figured it was time to buy and cry. Now I need a new air tool. I'm thinkin either a drill or impact wrench. I have two nail guns and an hvlp sprayer currently.
Definitely add an impact wrench to your stock. They're great for rotating tires, rusted bolts, and also hella good when you need something with more umph than a standard impact drill.

Both a drill and impact wrench are on my short list, for sure.

Whelp, after about 10 hours of total work, the rivets came out. We did it the hard way - no heat or air hammer. Just grinders, drill, dremel, punch, chisel and a BFH. I didn't have time to get the swing outs on, but the bumper is in place:

full

So. It turned out that there was a shitload of gnat eggs in our trash can in the garage. It was disgusting.

Back