• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

My wife and I scrapped our fire pit design because we got tired of pulling weeds from the surrounding pond rocks every year, even despite putting down plastic between the dirt and pond rocks. We bought paver stones from Lowe's to make our fire pit surround, then put the fire pit we already had inside of it, and filled in the space with the pond rocks that used to be on the outside of the fire pit. I know this is probably a really dumb question, but is there any danger to having the fire pit so close to the pond rocks, once it gets really hot from having logs/coals in it? There's still a little bit of work we have to do, but the picture below is the general idea.

You'll be fine. The rocks will be hot due to the proximity of the fire pit, but the fire pit will also be hot enough that you really wouldn't be touching that area anyways. I would suggest not dousing the fire with water until its cooled down considerably though. Once the rocks get hot, pouring water on them will cause them to crack and spawl.

Thanks. We used it for the first time last night and it came out really nice. Our original plan was to take up all the sand and pond rocks around the border since we kept getting problems with grass growing up through the rocks, even after putting down that black plastic stuff, but now we're trying to figure out what else we can do to keep it, since it looks nice. I got really tired of pulling weeds from that area and up until a day or so ago, I just wanted to pull everything up.

Wanted to share a few pics of my kitchen remodel I just (finally) wrapped up.
I did demo / painting (including cabinets); hired professionals for the rest.

11c147b3a81de256e46f51011c0e6576.jpg
466a4ba5d2538c5af38a2b9d90b4137c.jpg
4ae016911610bb101dfdd1d7b29d254b.jpg
75f09c4d3540295708b4bb657f202bc0.jpg

ETA: Credit to LK for building the island, wine rack, and cabinet under the open shelving.

Last edited:
that looks awesome, nice job. I like the opening into the TV room. where did the laundry room go?

Weekend project. Old fire pit location:
1YqytlZdvTZmoo_U3OdCdsdFpi6MaDcBbdb08eg5dmrATtKk_SHiqJcbrZvJ9K1YZu473OdXVe335_X2ZHCcjP81hGI0LMJZ_aoju4nITCMpyHwZFOfNQQkezi2kq9q6yER82LlnO2-c00GN7ByT2naLfYSEsnrV5zDarjXxcf9JvE1NETd8u9DMpdqajtq4Jisx5ctneh4Bn4d7GhbMYfhjmVMD9i4G3MMytmjrdH3EZzFa-FUvTdfeXfmp8WiHpuPJNPgfLVKXEKsiov0SV7mw9wneBtLvKC_EjE3OFiCvyILGCsb5x8E28Hm9C2ZkEB1d79g2BSvoNeoOzSaPyn5tYrEsHzhyXVoMkWjybcUPQtwqH5sXtFDNtz2NE6gLE5EBMU506yVUXA8oPb53NMZCyQRmYeRKz6qZBmvpJJj_8xFf5yDYlK0l9GuVCK8WDsN8ZicranrzfWI9Qfe_Mzf0-HCeLjDEI66AxOB03Fb0ZMAbdt15f-hqDtd0E02v2LLU8BjSg5cKHvVOWmTGMcY=w437-h775-no

New firepit oasis:
ikBkr1G_qtRQz71BU8f5FdzprLiInC4gdBtP2i5oHQB8_BOjsYy26JP7sVmddHAeuMNYOSoS8zeNcSjfU9Quqvej3gj_DGrE0zzY99ZdPnlL3qFLb3MVs4hYNN-rdVpsT8Nts6svZWRujRGvKpY3fkIFWKXN5w06Jq437UtT6MeZN2RtHDpvIAP-_5XXf8RoRQqJelX0fAecSk6Eg3k9suruJUYN-NiXzyZySoEUtahAlPFCP6Pm6wF1H0ioK7eCFnT1TybrigF3hiyMN6kt71LBPjXCX-6wjtBlH9iVJFI5UqKn7rfTLcX4XAA0mBYhFhqcEe5tSSkY10202BHaTOyvDnB6trycP5CwDsk6IByBuftTxA1Qll5EwA9xamMfHehVnik0g3mdAK4_YWDvXiq1by9U408qS342D18IWzpzFJ6GEmq1M3DGOuLGPDKZSrM8DzERl82qbn9HUgh5Y0uNOOGRW8zuKrCit2of74HE19R--n69GCk4nk-UuaCKak0YyWFgyrXsLrvsZ3JR9kU=w1377-h775-no

Some plantings will obviously be needed. Lugging those rocks was a @#@%$. Put some Gem-Seal on them after this pic was taken, now they're permanently shiny and it really brings the colors out, I highly recommend it for rock work.

This is kind of the opposite of DIY, but if I want to have my garbage disposal replaced, who do I call? A plumber? Electrician? Just a general handyman?

This is kind of the opposite of DIY, but if I want to have my garbage disposal replaced, who do I call? A plumber? Electrician? Just a general handyman?

I'd call a plumber. The electrical part of that is incidental.
It really is pretty easy to do if you are replacing an existing one.

If you go with the same brand you may not even have to change the under sink mounting bracket.

The most home improvement I do is change light bulbs and the air filter on the HVAC, so I definitely need someone to do this for me. I hate to perpetuate the helpless girl stereotype, but in my case, it's accurate.

Eta: thanks - will call a plumber.

We just got the entire interior of our 3300 sq ft house painted (very well, I might add) in 3.5 days for half the price and 1/4 the price of our other quotes. The other quotes were also for 3 weeks and 2 weeks, respectively. I'm very glad we didn't decide to try to paint ourselves!

On a related note, it only took us 10 months to get our walls painted after having all of the exterior walls pumped full of insulation! That's gotta be some kind of record!

nice; painting is the worst

bathroom reno about 2/3rds now; vanity in; tiling shower, paint and counter tops next weeeeeek

can't wait to shower again

all new interior doors today, too

nice; painting is the worst

bathroom reno about 2/3rds now; vanity in; tiling shower, paint and counter tops next weeeeeek

can't wait to shower again

all new interior doors today, too

Our master bath/closet reno was just completely finished recently too. Started July 9th, I think we moved back into the master 3 weeks ago? I love a good shower, and I can't express how great it was to use a shower and know that NOBODY HAS EVER USED IT BEFORE.

To echo ITC: FUCK PAINTING. I don't know why I hate it so much. I'll happily undertake any other repair job. Painting gets delegated to someone else.

Back