Page 8 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858108 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 2652

Thread: Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

  1. #141
    Excited to find this thread! My gf and I just bought a condo a few weeks ago, and we're putting a to-do list together. Biggest thing on our list is heated floors in the bathroom, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to let a professional handle that. We painted three rooms when we moved in, though, so I need to take a break before starting any projects...

  2. #142
    We're probably going to upgrade our bed and mattress pretty soon. Any recommendations for where to get a good mattress at a decent price?

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by iodeac View Post
    We're probably going to upgrade our bed and mattress pretty soon. Any recommendations for where to get a good mattress at a decent price?
    Find one you like and offer half price. Repeat until someone says yes.

  4. #144
    Sheikh of Smoke
    tsywake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Grassy Knoll, NC
    Posts
    26,161
    What kind of mattress are you looking for? Inner coil spring, memory foam, waterbed?

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by iodeac View Post
    We're probably going to upgrade our bed and mattress pretty soon. Any recommendations for where to get a good mattress at a decent price?
    Some good advice on this thread:

    http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showt...light=Mattress

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by tsywake View Post
    What kind of mattress are you looking for? Inner coil spring, memory foam, waterbed?
    Not a waterbed...we'll have to try a few out to decide if we want to switch to a memory foam from the spring we have now.

  7. #147
    Sheikh of Smoke
    tsywake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Grassy Knoll, NC
    Posts
    26,161
    I think is well established, but for disclosure sake, I'm a huge Costco homer.

    A few years ago we were in the market for a new mattress as well, and most of the inner coil spring mattresses were in the $1100-$1300 range for a king. We came across a memory foam mattress at Costco for 1/2 that and figured what the heck. I noticed a difference the first night. The distribution of the weight made a huge difference. I instantly started sleeping better and didn't wake up when my wife would toss and turn. I cant praise them enough. The particular one we got is no longer sold at Costco, but I did find this one.

    http://www.costco.com/Sleep-Science-...100004098.html

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by tsywake View Post
    I think is well established, but for disclosure sake, I'm a huge Costco homer.

    A few years ago we were in the market for a new mattress as well, and most of the inner coil spring mattresses were in the $1100-$1300 range for a king. We came across a memory foam mattress at Costco for 1/2 that and figured what the heck. I noticed a difference the first night. The distribution of the weight made a huge difference. I instantly started sleeping better and didn't wake up when my wife would toss and turn. I cant praise them enough. The particular one we got is no longer sold at Costco, but I did find this one.

    http://www.costco.com/Sleep-Science-...100004098.html
    Same here as far as being a fan of the big box warehouses, except we are Sam's Club members instead of Costco.

  9. #149
    Overpaid Wax Extractor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bama
    Posts
    3,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Karma View Post
    Same here as far as being a fan of the big box warehouses, except we are Sam's Club members instead of Costco.
    Me too

  10. #150
    Overpaid Wax Extractor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bama
    Posts
    3,475
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveDeac View Post
    Excited to find this thread! My gf and I just bought a condo a few weeks ago, and we're putting a to-do list together. Biggest thing on our list is heated floors in the bathroom, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to let a professional handle that. We painted three rooms when we moved in, though, so I need to take a break before starting any projects...
    You will never regret. We redid a bathroom in our home recently and had them place the heated mats under the new floor tile. We splurged a bit and got the programmable thermostat and it's really nice. It comes on before we get up and is warm by the time we are in there ready for use. Turns off after we are done with the bathroom. Not really that expensive either..

  11. #151
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    I'm going to need to learn to be comfortable with super-minor DIY projects. Like, the thermostat in my new place is old and not programmable. It really shouldn't be too complicated to just install a programmable one, but I feel like I'll somehow burn the house down just by undoing a wire. Guess my first task will need to be checking the few labeled fuses and labeling all the rest of the fuse box.

  12. #152
    Sheikh of Smoke
    tsywake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Grassy Knoll, NC
    Posts
    26,161
    Definitely. Buy a label maker and label each one in the fuse box, right beside the fuse/breaker. It so much easier than trying to write them down on the chart, and much easier to pinpoint.

    There are thousands of youtube videos that can show you pretty much how to do anything around the house. I use it all the time when I'm not quite sure how to do something.

  13. #153
    rolling quads since 2002
    RollTheQuad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston
    Posts
    21,388
    I think there was a sheet of pre-made stickers for the fuse box stuck inside of it, that just hadn't been used. I'll check when I'm back there again. Only sort of glanced in it while the inspector was checking out the wiring.

  14. #154
    So the cord for my gas powered weedeater wont retract so I can pull it to start it up. How can I fix it?

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by iodeac View Post
    So the cord for my gas powered weedeater wont retract so I can pull it to start it up. How can I fix it?

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    that happened to me last year too. we actually just unscrewed the casing and manually rewound it.

  16. #156
    Sheikh of Smoke
    tsywake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Grassy Knoll, NC
    Posts
    26,161
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacHoops View Post
    that happened to me last year too. we actually just unscrewed the casing and manually rewound it.
    That will work, but you should also check the recoil spring. It may be broken. Replacing it is a quick fix.

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by iodeac View Post
    So the cord for my gas powered weedeater wont retract so I can pull it to start it up. How can I fix it?

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    yeah just take the assembly off and fuck with it, smack it around. somethings just stuck open. If that doesn't work you should be able to buy the whole assembly as a replacement part

  18. #158
    Thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow

  19. #159
    I'm kind of moving to outdoor projects now since I'm almost finished painting. Just a bit of decorating next. Is it too late to spread some grass seeds or to fertilize.? My front yard needs a little work. Also, any recommendations on landscape/path lighting? I've looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and don't know if the low voltage stuff is good quality or not. From what I've read, most of the solar stuff is not that great.

  20. #160
    Sheikh of Smoke
    tsywake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Grassy Knoll, NC
    Posts
    26,161
    Its definitely not too late to sew some grass seed, especially as cold as its been.

    Stay away from the solar lights. We've got 20 of them, and its not worth it. You have to clean the solar panel every so often, and replace the rechargeable batteries every other year or so and they're not cheap. Powered lights put out much more light too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •