• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Excited to find this thread! My gf and I just bought a condo a few weeks ago, and we're putting a to-do list together. Biggest thing on our list is heated floors in the bathroom, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to let a professional handle that. We painted three rooms when we moved in, though, so I need to take a break before starting any projects...

We're probably going to upgrade our bed and mattress pretty soon. Any recommendations for where to get a good mattress at a decent price?

We're probably going to upgrade our bed and mattress pretty soon. Any recommendations for where to get a good mattress at a decent price?

Find one you like and offer half price. Repeat until someone says yes.

What kind of mattress are you looking for? Inner coil spring, memory foam, waterbed?

Not a waterbed...we'll have to try a few out to decide if we want to switch to a memory foam from the spring we have now.

I think is well established, but for disclosure sake, I'm a huge Costco homer.

A few years ago we were in the market for a new mattress as well, and most of the inner coil spring mattresses were in the $1100-$1300 range for a king. We came across a memory foam mattress at Costco for 1/2 that and figured what the heck. I noticed a difference the first night. The distribution of the weight made a huge difference. I instantly started sleeping better and didn't wake up when my wife would toss and turn. I cant praise them enough. The particular one we got is no longer sold at Costco, but I did find this one.

http://www.costco.com/Sleep-Science-10"-Queen-Memory-Foam-Mattress.product.100004098.html

I think is well established, but for disclosure sake, I'm a huge Costco homer.

A few years ago we were in the market for a new mattress as well, and most of the inner coil spring mattresses were in the $1100-$1300 range for a king. We came across a memory foam mattress at Costco for 1/2 that and figured what the heck. I noticed a difference the first night. The distribution of the weight made a huge difference. I instantly started sleeping better and didn't wake up when my wife would toss and turn. I cant praise them enough. The particular one we got is no longer sold at Costco, but I did find this one.

http://www.costco.com/Sleep-Science-10"-Queen-Memory-Foam-Mattress.product.100004098.html

Same here as far as being a fan of the big box warehouses, except we are Sam's Club members instead of Costco.

Excited to find this thread! My gf and I just bought a condo a few weeks ago, and we're putting a to-do list together. Biggest thing on our list is heated floors in the bathroom, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to let a professional handle that. We painted three rooms when we moved in, though, so I need to take a break before starting any projects...

You will never regret. We redid a bathroom in our home recently and had them place the heated mats under the new floor tile. We splurged a bit and got the programmable thermostat and it's really nice. It comes on before we get up and is warm by the time we are in there ready for use. Turns off after we are done with the bathroom. Not really that expensive either..

I'm going to need to learn to be comfortable with super-minor DIY projects. Like, the thermostat in my new place is old and not programmable. It really shouldn't be too complicated to just install a programmable one, but I feel like I'll somehow burn the house down just by undoing a wire. Guess my first task will need to be checking the few labeled fuses and labeling all the rest of the fuse box.

Definitely. Buy a label maker and label each one in the fuse box, right beside the fuse/breaker. It so much easier than trying to write them down on the chart, and much easier to pinpoint.

There are thousands of youtube videos that can show you pretty much how to do anything around the house. I use it all the time when I'm not quite sure how to do something.

I think there was a sheet of pre-made stickers for the fuse box stuck inside of it, that just hadn't been used. I'll check when I'm back there again. Only sort of glanced in it while the inspector was checking out the wiring.

So the cord for my gas powered weedeater wont retract so I can pull it to start it up. How can I fix it?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

So the cord for my gas powered weedeater wont retract so I can pull it to start it up. How can I fix it?

that happened to me last year too. we actually just unscrewed the casing and manually rewound it.

yeah just take the assembly off and fuck with it, smack it around. somethings just stuck open. If that doesn't work you should be able to buy the whole assembly as a replacement part

Thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow

I'm kind of moving to outdoor projects now since I'm almost finished painting. Just a bit of decorating next. Is it too late to spread some grass seeds or to fertilize.? My front yard needs a little work. Also, any recommendations on landscape/path lighting? I've looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and don't know if the low voltage stuff is good quality or not. From what I've read, most of the solar stuff is not that great.

Its definitely not too late to sew some grass seed, especially as cold as its been.

Stay away from the solar lights. We've got 20 of them, and its not worth it. You have to clean the solar panel every so often, and replace the rechargeable batteries every other year or so and they're not cheap. Powered lights put out much more light too.

Back