• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

We had an airless paint sprayer and threw it away after two uses. You have to thin the paint to a particular consistency before it'll work correctly, and I had major problems with clumping. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have purchased one of the spray guns you attach to a compressor. Not worth it IMO.

thanks tsy. then what do you think about something like this for priming (at least) the window trim? or do I just need to bite the bullet and paint with a brush until my arms fall off?

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=219

02008_1011_BEY123_13oz_MaxSpray_L.jpg

thanks tsy. then what do you think about something like this for priming (at least) the window trim? or do I just need to bite the bullet and paint with a brush until my arms fall off?

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=219

02008_1011_BEY123_13oz_MaxSpray_L.jpg

the thing that sucks w/ spray cans is that the time you "save" from not cutting in by hand, you lose anyway because you have to tape things off like crazy and be aware of wind, etc, unless you want little speckles all over your house.

also, you might be surprised at how well primer coats the dark wood.
Just cutting in with a nice stiff angle brush, J and I only used 2 coats to cover daaaaark wood trim with white. it's pretty quick, too, and you get into a groove pretty easily. I think you could definitely do it, but can understand how it would seem intimidating.

I figure I could prime the window trim first with the sprayer and let it get all over the walls and the glass, and just then paint over the walls and take a razor blade to the glass.

but yeah I should probably just do it with a brush and my hands and frogtape and a lot of cursing and whining. but thanks - good to hear that 2 coats was enough for you.

(or I am also considering leaving the trim natural wood and just painting the paneling for now... not because that's necessarily what I want but because it is easier.)

I figure I could prime the window trim first with the sprayer and let it get all over the walls and the glass, and just then paint over the walls and take a razor blade to the glass.

but yeah I should probably just do it with a brush and my hands and frogtape and a lot of cursing and whining. but thanks - good to hear that 2 coats was enough for you.

(or I am also considering leaving the trim natural wood and just painting the paneling for now... not because that's necessarily what I want but because it is easier.)

i HIGHLY recommend doing it all at once.
plus, if you do the trim first and don't tape and just practice cutting in, you can cover any smudges onto the wall when you paint the paneling...and then hopefully you'd have had the practice cutting in when you did the trim that you wouldn't have to tape the windows when you paint the paneling.

the thing that sucks w/ spray cans is that the time you "save" from not cutting in by hand, you lose anyway because you have to tape things off like crazy and be aware of wind, etc, unless you want little speckles all over your house.

I agree with this. Scraping it off the glass will work as you described earlier, but also remember to use this stuff there has to be absolutely zero wind. Otherwise you'll have all sorts of overspray.

i HIGHLY recommend doing it all at once.
plus, if you do the trim first and don't tape and just practice cutting in, you can cover any smudges onto the wall when you paint the paneling...and then hopefully you'd have had the practice cutting in when you did the trim that you wouldn't have to tape the windows when you paint the paneling.

yeahh maybe. see I think I might like the natural wood trim if I paint the walls a sage green, but I will definitely want the white trim if I paint the walls gray. I guess it is relevant though that the rest of the house is white painted trim already.

I also might eventually replace the (painted) paneling with drywall, but that would be way down the line.

good point, thanks. paint and primer in one for the trim probably makes more sense than using the same primer for the whole room (trim & panels), and then separate paints for the trim and panels.

good point, thanks. paint and primer in one for the trim probably makes more sense than using the same primer for the whole room (trim & panels), and then separate paints for the trim and panels.

yeah, i would think so, plus you could theoretically also have it around for touch-ups on all your other white trim. just make sure it's the same level of glossiness.

how dark is your wood paneling?

yeah, i would think so, plus you could theoretically also have it around for touch-ups on all your other white trim. just make sure it's the same level of glossiness.

how dark is your wood paneling?

I'll check the 20+ cans of paint in the workshop and see if I can tell what exactly has already been used for trim.

I don't have any pictures on this computer, but I'd say this image found online is around the same color as my paneling.

den_b4_rev21_lg.jpg

yeah, check out the YHL post.

oh trust, I've read that post a number of times before. it's my primary basis for continuing to claim that I don't need to sand my panels first.

you 100% do NOT need to sand them first. primers are great.

especially if you plan to maybe eventually do drywall, don't put that much effort into them. it's only marginally more durable than the primer/latex combo at this point, especially given that you don't have kids or anything that will be knocking into the walls. you'll be fine.

So I was thinking of replacing my shower head and knobs. Is this difficult, or would I be best hiring a plumber to do it? There are access panels on the wall behind the shower, in a closet.

The existing fixtures are Moen. If I buy one with the same number of handles in the same brand, should it fit? I've read that it's very difficult to change brands.

mine has a set up like the below:

82403_adler_shower_bits.jpg

So I was thinking of replacing my shower head and knobs. Is this difficult, or would I be best hiring a plumber to do it? There are access panels on the wall behind the shower, in a closet.

The existing fixtures are Moen. If I buy one with the same number of handles in the same brand, should it fit? I've read that it's very difficult to change brands.

I don't think it would be too difficult (for me) but trying to walk someone through it on-line would be hard. Pretty sure the valve stems off the pipes would interchange with the knobs regardless of brand.

Text dtdf. He'd know for sure.

so i want to do this around my flower bed at the front of my house:

c5a480d2d52a3f43fafaa8d37a5b23da.jpg

has anybody done anything similar? have any tips? think i could accomplish it solo in one weekend?

Back