• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

I am looking to get a survey done to make sure we know where our property line is as we move towards doing some work at our house

Any recommendations in Charlotte? Or general things to look for/look out for in hiring someone for this?

I assume it costs a few hundred dollars but would be interested in potential cost too.

I am looking to get a survey done to make sure we know where our property line is as we move towards doing some work at our house

Any recommendations in Charlotte? Or general things to look for/look out for in hiring someone for this?

I assume it costs a few hundred dollars but would be interested in potential cost too.

Did you have a survey done when you purchased the place?

In some places permanent corner markers are placed when land is subdivided for lots. Iron pipe or rod is a favorite for this. A metal detector can help locate if this was done. Many times they get buried a few inches to a foot under ground.

ETA:
County land records should have a survey. County should have a policy on how far from the street the frontage corner markers are placed.

Surveyors (companies and individuals doing the work) need to be registered/licensed by the state.

Last edited:

RB Pharr is the primary old-money residential survey firm in Charlotte.

If you can find the surveyor that did the original survey plat, it will be cheaper. The plat should be referenced on your deed. If you don't have a copy of this you should be able to get it from the Meck County Register of Deeds website.

Induction Cooktop

Any of you have experience using an electric induction cooktop or range? Thoughts about it?

I'm thinking about going to one. There will be an added difficulty, as I suspect much of my current cook ware will have to be replaced.

We had friends who had one and it was cool, ie no heat to burn yourself, water boils super quick but other than that it was basically a cooktop. I didnt see the upside to replacing all my cookware and if the power goes out, you can't use it. My wfe was like "we

Im curious as to why you are considering it as I ma be missing the upside.

Induction Cooktop

Any of you have experience using an electric induction cooktop or range? Thoughts about it?

I'm thinking about going to one. There will be an added difficulty, as I suspect much of my current cook ware will have to be replaced.

We had friends who had one and it was cool, ie no heat to burn yourself, water boils super quick, but other than that it was basically a cooktop. I didnt see the upside to replacing all my cookware and if the power goes out, you can't use it. I think it made noise too.

Im curious as to why you are considering it as I may be missing the upside.

We had friends who had one and it was cool, ie no heat to burn yourself, water boils super quick, but other than that it was basically a cooktop. I didnt see the upside to replacing all my cookware and if the power goes out, you can't use it. I think it made noise too.

Im curious as to why you are considering it as I may be missing the upside.

Gas isn't a viable option. It's not in the house. Nor is it in the street nearby. So any electric won't work when the power goes out.

Induction is somewhat more energy efficient than electric resistance. And the safety issue and faster cooking you noted.

Having a section of sewer line replaced today - get to work to the sound of construction workers all day. Hopefully the jackhammering isn't too bad when I'm on my calls.

Update: The line has been replaced - took the guys about 2 hours to break up the concrete, cut and replace the line. Now they're kicking back (going on an hour) waiting on a city inspector. Was a much faster repair than I thought. All that's left is inspection, refill the hole, pour new cement.

Last edited:
I've got lots of clover mites coming in through a couple windows on the sunniest side of my house. The pest company sprayed something, doesn't seem to have helped, and I sprayed some 12-month Raid stuff today, we'll see if that helps. I imagine the problem is that at the base of that wall I've got grass right up to the house. Also, the 2 lowest windows have their sills basically at the grass line. Based on the ol' Google, seems I could put 2' of stone at the base of the wall instead of grass, though I'd be more interested in mulching and trying to find plants that don't like clover mites. Anyone got any tips/ideas? These windows are all about 2 years old btw, same as the house itself. But clover mites are super tiny, so I'm not surprised they can get in.

I've got lots of clover mites coming in through a couple windows on the sunniest side of my house. The pest company sprayed something, doesn't seem to have helped, and I sprayed some 12-month Raid stuff today, we'll see if that helps. I imagine the problem is that at the base of that wall I've got grass right up to the house. Also, the 2 lowest windows have their sills basically at the grass line. Based on the ol' Google, seems I could put 2' of stone at the base of the wall instead of grass, though I'd be more interested in mulching and trying to find plants that don't like clover mites. Anyone got any tips/ideas? These windows are all about 2 years old btw, same as the house itself. But clover mites are super tiny, so I'm not surprised they can get in.

From what I saw, clover mites will feed on hundreds of different plant species. Therefore it would be difficult to find some they don't like. Thus gravel or mulch (only) would be the way to go.

Was moving into my new house yesterday, and realized the cell reception is atrocious, like one bar. Made dealing with the cable company impossible. Has anyone purchased a cell extender or booster for their home that actually worked or they would recommend?

Also would love to hear your Ring vs. Simplisafe opinions.

Was moving into my new house yesterday, and realized the cell reception is atrocious, like one bar. Made dealing with the cable company impossible. Has anyone purchased a cell extender or booster for their home that actually worked or they would recommend?

Also would love to hear your Ring vs. Simplisafe opinions.

My parents got one from ATT at their old house and it was a lifesaver. I think they had Verizon and had no issues but we all had ATT so they had to get one when one of my brothers moved back home.

Probably covered here sometime but I don’t see it searching quickly.

Seeking opinions about gutter guard or filters things.

We had some on our old house that were pretty terrible. They just didn’t really work, let shit into the gutter still and then even more of a pain to clean out. They looked something like this...

gutter_guard_x435.png

Where we are now we’ve alternated between cleaning out our unprotected gutters ourselves or paying someone to do it several times a year.

Are there any products you’ve used that worked well? Or do are they all suck?

I don't think any are perfect. All let in or accumulate some stuff on top. However, some are better at keeping out some things than others.

What are your main contributors? Acorns, gum tree balls, big leaves, pine needles or?

I’m dealing with that sort of issue now. I have those same sorts of gutters in the picture that let in plenty of maple and poplar helicopters as well as oak pollen strands. Certainly less than regular gutter guards though

Where we were before, when those like in the above picture failed, we had mostly pine straw.

Now we have none of that.

My suspicion is that the ones acting more like a filter (with holes of various sizes) must get clogged…?

But how quickly, and how difficult is it to clean them so they work again?

I have a bearing going bad in a 13 year old GE dryer. The bearing is like $60 but not sure I can install it myself. Do you pay the $120 to have someone install it or do you buy a new dryer?

I have a bearing going bad in a 13 year old GE dryer. The bearing is like $60 but not sure I can install it myself. Do you pay the $120 to have someone install it or do you buy a new dryer?

If that's truly the case and the dryer otherwise works well, I would pay for the repair.

Back