• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

looks great, Sleepy! The lighting alone makes a huge difference; it will never make sense to me why builders put all the light centrally located in a kitchen.

I've heard good things about Ryobi's 1600psi model (if you just want it for cleaning, not stripping paint or anything), and though this isn't very specific I know the one we borrow from a neighbor is from Costco and it works well. Can't recall the brand at the moment, which again, I recognize is unhelpful, but perhaps perusing what they've got for sale is worth it.

I've heard good things about Ryobi's 1600psi model (if you just want it for cleaning, not stripping paint or anything), and though this isn't very specific I know the one we borrow from a neighbor is from Costco and it works well. Can't recall the brand at the moment, which again, I recognize is unhelpful, but perhaps perusing what they've got for sale is worth it.

We have the Ryobi 2000 PSI, which I think is the highest the electric version goes. It’s been really good for what we’ve needed it for around the house.

yeah i was looking at a ryobi either the 1600 or 2k; seem to be popular in the class. that or a greenworks.

consumer reports seem pretty harsh on all electric models but maybe it's in comparison to gas powered. just looking for basic cleaning/maintenance

yeah i was looking at a ryobi either the 1600 or 2k; seem to be popular in the class. that or a greenworks.

consumer reports seem pretty harsh on all electric models but maybe it's in comparison to gas powered. just looking for basic cleaning/maintenance

The 2K has been for the price and utility.

I've got a Generac gas pressure washer. It's solid and dependable.

Mainly got it do clean the driveway. It works great, but what a painfully tedious task.

Seriously thinking of ditching the thing and just paying someone to do it.

Does anyone have an electric power-washer they'd recommend?

I have a Worx Hydroshot, which is the one with a filtered suction hose, that I use on my dock (humblebrag) because I can just drop the hose in the lake and don't have to run a garden hose all the way down there. I think you can connect it to a regular hose also, but not sure. The battery is decent and puts out good pressure for a glorified Supersoaker. It works fine for cleaning deck furniture and cobwebs and similar shit like loose grime on the boat hull. But it wouldn't do much good on like the driveway or house unless you were talking a really isolated area that is up close. I've got a Craftsman power washer with a Honda engine and the electric one isn't in the same stratosphere.

yeah, the gas one i have is nice but i fucking hate dealing with the engine every time i want to use it, which is only a couple times a year. i'm trying to get rid of all my small engines at this point; just not worth it

Connor, maybe try one of these guys for the driveway:

ryobi-accessories-ry31012-31_1000.jpg

For fairly light cleaning the 1600psi electric greenworks I have is fine and was cheap. Probably not capable of stripping paint, although it comes with some extra nozzles to dial up the power. It would take an agonizing amount of time for it to do something like clean a driveway or brick patio like r/pwp.

Are some driveway attachments better than others? I have a cheap one that i used a few months ago and I started seeing a few circle streaks a few days after I finished.

yeah, the gas one i have is nice but i fucking hate dealing with the engine every time i want to use it, which is only a couple times a year. i'm trying to get rid of all my small engines at this point; just not worth it

Connor, maybe try one of these guys for the driveway:

ryobi-accessories-ry31012-31_1000.jpg

Yeah, I bought a really nice surface cleaner and it is easier/quicker but doesn't actually clean as well as the damn wand. So I tend to alternate, partly to break the tedium. But end up using the wand more b/c it cleans better.

And sorry, I didn't see you were looking for electric. It does make sense to go that way when using the thing 1-2 times a year.

Who has double secret solutions to prevent cobwebs? Specifically on light sconces and exterior corner junctions. As much fun as it is blasting those fuckers away with my blower, it gets old fast.

Welp, learned how to successfully disassemble/reassemble a Delta tub/shower faucet and replace the springs and seats.

Yea Internet.

5 bucks in parts. 1.5 hours for this novice with a pretty badly corroded faucet interior.

Anyone have any experience replacing french doors? I have 2 sets of french doors that need replacing and I'm considering tackling the job myself.

Welp, learned how to successfully disassemble/reassemble a Delta tub/shower faucet and replace the springs and seats.

Yea Internet.

5 bucks in parts. 1.5 hours for this novice with a pretty badly corroded faucet interior.

nothing like handling basic repairs yourself. such a sense of accomplishment.

i did some minor electrical work a week ago and I felt like such a boss

If you are not already doing so, consider using the bottles of canned gasoline from Lowe’s or HD. No ethanol and has fuel saver in it so you can let it sit for 2 years. My Stihl products have been flawless while using that fuel. Same with my generator. Mechanic in a bottle is supposed to be good, too, for an engine that has been sitting.

Back