• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Yeah I am expecting a nice cut off our heating and cooling bills, in part because we’re also replacing a big inefficient picture window that’s baked in the sun for 20 years.

Kind of surprising both went at exactly the same time. I would have expected at least a few months, if not a few years between the failures.

Well they didn’t both go. Actually neither has gone yet but could go at any time since they’re 22 years old. But on one of them a repair is needed that basically totals the unit so might as well replace the whole thing now before it dies. And if we replace one we’ll get a better deal on buying a second at the same time.

Well they didn’t both go. Actually neither has gone yet but could go at any time since they’re 22 years old. But on one of them a repair is needed that basically totals the unit so might as well replace the whole thing now before it dies. And if we replace one we’ll get a better deal on buying a second at the same time.

All of those details make much more sense of your situation.

Now I have a combo wall oven/microwave that isn't working because of a blown fuse. Probably a $1.99 at Radio Shack. Oh yeah, they are gone. Now where do i find this?

Three different outlets along the same wall in the kitchen not working. The light switches and disposal which are in the same panels as those outlets are working fine. No breakers tripped, and I flipped them off and on anyway just to be sure. Any ideas?

Three different outlets along the same wall in the kitchen not working. The light switches and disposal which are in the same panels as those outlets are working fine. No breakers tripped, and I flipped them off and on anyway just to be sure. Any ideas?

GFI outlet in there somewhere? Need to test/reset it.

Tried that. Only one of them has gfi but I suspect they are linked. Tried to reset it and nothing happened. All the other gfi outlets in the house have a little green indicator light in the corner. This one, the light is just off. And when you hit reset, there is no audible click like all the others.

Sounds busted. Probably just need to replace that outlet.

Yeah I am expecting a nice cut off our heating and cooling bills, in part because we’re also replacing a big inefficient picture window that’s baked in the sun for 20 years.

I've been so pleased with the nest products that we got some black Friday deals and I installed the Nest doorbell/camera and two other interior cameras over the weekend. They all work pretty well from what I can initially tell and the app makes everything easy and interfaces nicely with Alexa, and I'm definitely more of a construction improvements rather than a tech improvements type of person. I'm hoping the wife finds a Cyber Monday deal on some compatible door locks today.

Haha I actually did drink some White Zombie on Saturday afternoon right after I finished. WZ is my one exception to the no craft beer rule, it alone almost justifies the entire craft nonsense.

Tried that. Only one of them has gfi but I suspect they are linked. Tried to reset it and nothing happened. All the other gfi outlets in the house have a little green indicator light in the corner. This one, the light is just off. And when you hit reset, there is no audible click like all the others.

The GFI has probably gone bad. But it could also be something plugged into a "downstream" outlet that is keeping the GFI from resetting. If there is, replacing the GFI is work for nothing. So check to make sure nothing is plugged in that would prevent the GFI from resetting before you replace it.

Had to replace an outdoor spigot. They all had "not for drinking" printed on them. We've drunk out of spigots since we were kids. What's the deal?

Had to replace an outdoor spigot. They all had "not for drinking" printed on them. We've drunk out of spigots since we were kids. What's the deal?

Could be high lead or other heavy metal content in the spigot itself. That could make the water coming out unacceptable, even if the water source was OK.

Another possibility is that the spigots were intended for use with water being pumped from wells containing non-potable water or have some form of recycled water. Some houses or buildings have well water or recycled water that is used for irrigation, car washing etc. but is not safe to drink because it contains too much bacteria, sulfur, iron, nitrates or you name it. Still OK to use for watering the grass, flowers, bushes etc. but not considered safe enough for human consumption. Any taps that are supplied by this water have to be properly marked.

Water for human consumption must meet USEPA National Primary Drinking Water Standards, and also any requirements for drinking water established by state or local jurisdictions.

Finally replaced a GFI that has been a problem since its install. It was put in by an electrician as part of furnace replacement project. Had always been difficult to reset and quick to trip. With the new one, tripping has gone away and resetting is easy. Professionals don't always do good work.

Oddity: this GFI is in the garage, yet controls outlets in the master bath and an outside outlet on the opposite side of the house. Guess the builder was saving on GFI's.

Back