• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, RON WELLMAN

This is something that I'm interested in hearing more about/want to get some interviews with former players for an article.

The transfer rate is probably going to be high for a school who has had 3 coaches in 6-7 years, and I'm sure a handful were those reasons, but I would love to hear why each player transferred out and their interactions with the staff/AD that led to that.

Another good article...the reason why so many alumni athletes (less the Fresh Deacs under Grobe) do not support WFU athletics under Wellman and will not support Wake Forest sports until Ron Wellman is gone.

Don't take anything he says to the media at face value. It's usually very different from his actions.

It's very hard to work for an administrator who doesn't have your back and speaks out of both sides of his mouth. It's difficult to play for a program that doesn't have the support of the AD.

While I did not support the [Redacted] hiring and thought he was not a coach that would be successful in the ACC, he was never given full control of his program. Decisions were made for him in every area.

Ask yourself...if a UNC player gets in trouble with police, do you hear from Bubba or Roy? How many times have you heard Duke's AD speak for K?

And the coach who tries to take control of his program? He's without a job.

Maybe Ron will give control to the coach who starts winning, but it's very hard to rebuild a program when players transfer out at a high rate because of conditions in the program.

How much autonomy did Skip have or did Wellman hamstring him too? Did they have a decent working relationship?

We can directly blame all those fat old men getting jerked off in a glorified airplane hanger for the state of the program. Those who would rather have an insignificant amount of personal recognition (really, how fucking pathetic to you have to be to get off on being a "Wake Forest Booster"), rather than see WF athletics succeed.

I agree with this sentiment.

I agree with this sentiment.

I disagree with this sentiment. Wake Forest has some very loyal and supportive fans, which is a very good thing. I found myself thinking that several times this year during home basketball games, when there was a much better turnout than I would have suspected given how the season was going. I bet some of those loyal fans read and post on this message board. Blaming those fans for the lack of success of the basketball team is a cheap shot. The basketball team has played poorly for the past 6 years because Ron Wellman hired a bad basketball coach - no need to try to conjure up any more complicated reason than that. No need to try to blame the president of the university, the board of trustees, the donors, the fans, etc. A bad basketball coach made for bad basketball teams. In college sports, it's all about the head coach, and to take from another active thread, Buzz Williams is just another example of this in a long line of examples. I've seen people on here try to blame donors - Don Flow as one example - for the state of the basketball program. Don Flow has been a great supporter of Wake Forest, and alienating someone like that would be a terrible move for the university. Without him we don't have a world class tennis facility with an ATP event to be enjoyed by the community each year. We also don't have the Flow House in Austria, which has nothing to do with athletics but does allow Wake students a great opportunity to study abroad. Blaming supporters of the university, like Don Flow and others, is really misguided.

I would consider myself a loyal and supportive fan and wholeheartedly agree that the people who take immense pride in being called a "Wake Forest Booster" and want "booster" status and perks are the ones slurping at Wellman nonstop.

Ron Wellman is still around to make bad hiring decisions and undercut his coaches and players only because those who give the big money donations are blinded by their personal relationships. Any rational big money donor could easily see who the problem is, and withhold their donations until Ron was gone. Do you really think Hatch and the BOT would turn down $20 million if it came with the implied stipulation that Ron had to be gone first?

I just wish Don Flow (or somebody) would say. I have $20M and I will give it when RW is gone.

That's what McCreary did for Grobe.

Ron Wellman is still around to make bad hiring decisions and undercut his coaches and players only because those who give the big money donations are blinded by their personal relationships. Any rational big money donor could easily see who the problem is, and withhold their donations until Ron was gone. Do you really think Hatch and the BOT would turn down $20 million if it came with the implied stipulation that Ron had to be gone first?

You think the President of the University should accept donations with stipulations that certain members of the school be fired? How much do you think it should cost to have an employee fired? $500,000? $1,000,000? Or do you think it should depend on the role of the employee - staff cost a certain amount, a little more for instructors, and then even more for professors? Some of the stuff written on this board, man...

You think the President of the University should accept donations with stipulations that certain members of the school be fired? How much do you think it should cost to have an employee fired? $500,000? $1,000,000? Or do you think it should depend on the role of the employee - staff cost a certain amount, a little more for instructors, and then even more for professors? Some of the stuff written on this board, man...

No, I think people can, and do, hold donations until certain conditions are met.

The basketball team has played poorly for the past 6 years because Ron Wellman hired a bad basketball coach

To clarify, you're talking about Dino and only Dino, right?

To clarify, you're talking about Dino and only Dino, right?

I'm talking about Jeff [Redacted]. I don't think Dino should have been fired, but that's a conversation for another thread.

The hell does that have to do with Wake Forest Athletics?

Don Flow donates to Wake Forest athletics and the university. Alienating him from the university because the basketball team is playing poorly would be a big negative for the university. Did I really need to connect those dots for you, Sparky?

rafi isn't an employee guys. just remember that.

The point is there are huge problems through out the entire athletic department, you are blind if you don't see that. People that are passionate fans are withholding money, but it doesn't mean shit because in the grand scheme of things when you add up all the little guys it might equal one big donor. The big donors are still donating because nothing for them has changed, they get to feel important, eat some chicken fingers, drink some booze and keep on keeping on being an old white guy.

Don Flow donates to Wake Forest athletics and the university. Alienating him from the university because the basketball team is playing poorly would be a big negative for the university. Did I really need to connect those dots for you, Sparky?

Congratulations on winning an argument that nobody was making. Good job, good effort.

To remind, this post started our exchange:

We can directly blame all those fat old men getting jerked off in a glorified airplane hanger for the state of the program. Those who would rather have an insignificant amount of personal recognition (really, how fucking pathetic to you have to be to get off on being a "Wake Forest Booster"), rather than see WF athletics succeed.

I think the sequence of events will be something like this: Wake Will campaign concludes in two years, assuming goals are reached. Nathan Hatch announces his retirement date not long after that. Hatch will be 70 this year. He just finished his term as head of NCAA Div 1 school presidents council.

Once Hatch is gone, and a new pres is selected I expect RW to follow with a retirement announcement. He will have built the indoor center and the performance center by then. He can retire and say he is leaving his successor state of the art facilities. I think that is the legacy he wants to leave.

The point is there are huge problems through out the entire athletic department, you are blind if you don't see that. People that are passionate fans are withholding money, but it doesn't mean shit because in the grand scheme of things when you add up all the little guys it might equal one big donor. The big donors are still donating because nothing for them has changed, they get to feel important, eat some chicken fingers, drink some booze and keep on keeping on being an old white guy.

Yes

Back