• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, RON WELLMAN

It won’t happen but I definitely don’t think it would look like a dick move for a new AD to fire a coach with back to back 20 loss seasons. No decent coach is going to be scared it could happen to him.

I’m not saying they would be scared it would happen to them. Let me put it this way - If you had a friend or colleague who told you their boss was a dick, would you want to pursue a job with that boss? The college coaching world is a small one, and coaches talk to each other, a lot.

It is hard to believe a group of men all wanting one thing had to go a different direction due to one man who is retiring in a matter of days wanting the opposite.
Don’t they just say tough shit Ron, we are moving forward the way we want?

I’m not saying they would be scared it would happen to them. Let me put it this way - If you had a friend or colleague who told you their boss was a dick, would you want to pursue a job with that boss? The college coaching world is a small one, and coaches talk to each other, a lot.

Sure. But like I said, firing a losing coach isn’t a dick move.

Doesn’t matter what we think though. Cal is going to give us a nice test case. I just can’t see good candidates turning down a good job opportunity.

If you're in a good spot, you wait for a better fit. Even if it's potentially a great opp, the dick boss could ruin it for you.

It is hard to believe a group of men all wanting one thing had to go a different direction due to one man who is retiring in a matter of days wanting the opposite.

Especially when these same people allegedly had the ability to force Wellman out. If they could do that, why couldn't they force him to make the right decision here?

Yow was a dick with Mark Gottfried, but got one of the hottest candidates on the market. Gene Smith was a dick with Thad Matta, but got a candidate no one even knew was available (late in the year too).

I don't know if Wellman went against the wishes of the donors that matter. I think Sutton, based on his veiled tweets, seemed to be on board. I do think that Currie realizes that the environment is toxic though and is probably waiting to see how it plays out over the next month. I have heard that Wake athletic department employees have been told that this will blow over. They want nothing more than for things to die down by summer and then everyone lose focus on basketball due to football season. I am not sure if anything can be done that will make Currie consider making a change, but if things get quiet, then he will certainly feel zero pressure.

You would think. KVegas said the exact same thing, pretty much though. This was all Ron.

Yow was a dick with Mark Gottfried, but got one of the hottest candidates on the market. Gene Smith was a dick with Thad Matta, but got a candidate no one even knew was available (late in the year too).

Great point. Holtmann was hired on June 9.

Keep hope alive I guess.

giphy.gif

My source is telling me the money was there for the buyout but Wellman wanted to give one big F U to everyone and show em whos boss. Went complety against donors and everyone else.

Not Sutton apparently, based on his (now deleted) tweet.

This just digs a deeper hole for whomever ultimately gets the job. Poor poor planning but I am not surprised by anything anymore with the "resignation" of Redacted, the awkward firing of Dino, the human shields with Rusty and Childress, the Wellman interviews... Everything about the basketball program the past 10 years has been amateur hour. It's embarrassing.

Hand the new coach another 20 loss team.

Edited: Oh yeah and the murder thing with the assistant coach...

Last edited:
We need a billboard welcoming Currie and asking him to fire Manning immediately. Or banners around campus.

Not if Hatch supports Wellman and/or Manning.

I've seen this rumor multiple times at various schools. That the donors are there to handle the big buyout. What tends to happens is that the money is there until you have to put it on the table, then it all of a sudden dries up.

I place very little faith in that kind of rumor.

The simple fact is Wake is unfortunately stuck in a bad place. If the contract is anywhere close to what is rumored that is a huge albatross. it also will have an impact on how much can be spent on any replacement.

A couple of other notes. it's hard to hire a power conference coach. On average 2-3 power conference coaches move to a new power conference school each year. There is often one or two former power conference coaches that are out of coaching that also get hired each year. That's it. Getting high level mid-major coaches is much more difficult as well. They have figured out it is largely better in the long run for them to stay at a mid-major that pays well then move up to a power conference job that is a big rebuild that they could likely be fired from in 4-5 yrs.

I've seen some dark times in my 21 years as a Wake fan, but this is the most depressing point I've ever seen Wake basketball. Zero hope.

Back