• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

I'd be pro-choice if there were unlimited funding. Funding for teachers, schools, buses.

But there isn't. So I'm not.

Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You might remember me from such classics as UNLIMITED FUNDING and ILLEGAL JOBS.

Wow

Edit: Unless of course the child is a fetus.

It turns out that the parents are the parents, and the schools are the schools. That seems to work in every other community. Why do you imbeciles insist on using the only model that isn't working?

It turns out that the parents are the parents, and the schools are the schools. That seems to work in every other community. Why do you imbeciles insist on using the only model that isn't working?

The model that doesn't work is the only model that isn't working?

The goal of the educational system? It should be to, I don't know, educate. Not to feed, house, or provide social services, mental health services, or health care.

Name me another place where 90+% of a communities' youth contingent is gathered on a daily basis where they can access such things. Giving access to all those services from within the school makes the most sense. The other option is what? They're on their own? It's up to the parents?

Better to wait until their left on their own and commit a crime to make them wards of the state.

That's up to their parents.

LTE%20illustration.png

Name me another place where 90+% of a communities' youth contingent is gathered on a daily basis where they can access such things. Giving access to all those services from within the school makes the most sense. The other option is what? They're on their own? It's up to the parents?
Survival of the fittest or fittest parents. That's what being pro-birth is all about. Once you leave the womb you're on your own.

It turns out some parents are shitty parents. 2&2's answer for kids with shitty parents is basically "go fuck yourselves."

It turns out some poor pregnant teens are pro-life. 2&2's answer for kids whose poor parents did not have an abortion is basically "go fuck yourselves."

Fixed.

It turns out some parents are shitty parents. 2&2's answer for kids with shitty parents is basically "go fuck yourselves."

Remember, I'm the one in favor of the actual proposal on the table to attempt to better their education. You are apparently okay with keeping the current system while waxing poetic about theoretical alternatives.

1. Have shitty parents
2. Have limited access to alternative means of support as a child, needed because your parents are shitty
3. ???
4. Profit by becoming a productive member of society

I must miss step three here.

Oh yeah, BOOTSTRAPS!

The war on cities continues. Now we're on to the stage of straight-out redistribution because the gerrymandered rural-centered districts demand more cash. http://www.greensboro.com/news/county-city-leaders-oppose-changes-to-sales-tax-distribution/article_af8216d9-3ae9-5744-a9e5-d5bfb8749ffe.html

State Sen. Trudy Wade (R-Guilford) voted for the bill Tuesday. She would prefer to leave the allocation as it is, she said, but that senators from rural areas outnumber the senators from urban ones and a compromise had to be made.
“The rural counties wanted an 80-20 split,” Wade said. “We would like to have kept the sales tax distribution the way it is, but in the Senate at least, that was basically an impossibility at this point.”
A 50-50 split was the best deal that could be made, Wade explained.

Remember, I'm the one in favor of the actual proposal on the table to attempt to better their education. You are apparently okay with keeping the current system while waxing poetic about theoretical alternatives.

Not at all. But if I have to choose between the current system and a thinly veiled move to defund/privatize education i'll go with the current system.

Remember, you are the one who said that if parents don't care about their kids education then those kids don't deserve a quality education.

Which is precisely why the sound must be so loud and the fury must be so demonstrative.

Not at all. But if I have to choose between the current system and a thinly veiled move to defund/privatize education i'll go with the current system.

Remember, you are the one who said that if parents don't care about their kids education then those kids don't deserve a quality education.

That's not what he said, but I imagine that that misstatement is much easier to argue with.

What I believe he means, and what I agree with is, that there is no substitute for an involved family in educating a child, even the benevolent hands of the all-providing State. The State will always be the second-best solution, and if we ask poor kids to settle for second-best, I'm sure the bureaucracy will continue to deliver.

No he said don't penalize the parents who want to help their kids just because some parents don't want to help their kids (because our education system should be built around the needs of parents or something)

I then asked him what was to be done about the kids whose parents are shitty. I presumed it was agreed upon that we as a society have a responsibility to take care of those who can't care for themselves (including six year olds with shitty parents).

Apparently not. 2&2 seems to think that its up to the parents and if they don't get the job done then those 6 year olds better make sure they have sturdy bootstraps.

That's not what he said, but I imagine that that misstatement is much easier to argue with.

What I believe he means, and what I agree with is, that there is no substitute for an involved family in educating a child, even the benevolent hands of the all-providing State. The State will always be the second-best solution, and if we ask poor kids to settle for second-best, I'm sure the bureaucracy will continue to deliver.

I absolutely agree that there is no substitute for an involved family in educating a child. But millions of children don't have that. The solution isn't to take away the second-best solution in the truly dumbfounding belief that shitty parents will cease being shitty if they know that there is no safety net for their child.

Back