• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

government bad. guns good. taxes bad. corporations good. environment there to be raped, per the bible.

any problem?...see above for the solution: lower taxes, less government/regulation. Always.

so simple.

oh good when i announce "on your left" as I get ready to pass someone on a greenway they'll get startled and pull a gun on me.

oh good when i announce "on your left" as I get ready to pass someone on a greenway they'll get startled and pull a gun on me.

Should make you run faster, when you get a little chin music from a Colt-45.

If they really wanted to show their support for guns, they should allow them in the General Assembly.

NC Senate Judiciary Committee is discussing allowing armed guards not in law enforcement at elementary schools.

What could go wrong!

http://www.wral.com/house-votes-to-relax-gun-laws-in-nc/12417880/?utm_source=feedly

RALEIGH, N.C. — State House lawmakers voted late Monday night to allow concealed weapons on college campuses, state property, greenways, bike trails, at sporting events and in businesses that serve alcohol.

Presumably you could take a gun into court and the state house now if they are allowed on state property.

This is obviously insane. You can forget about me attending a State game.

"This is not something that makes our state a better place" said Rep. Deborah Ross, D-Wake. "It's something that puts us on Stephen Colbert, and we've been on Stephen Colbert a lot lately."

Public universities are strongly opposed to this. Small government republican government tells them they have to do it anyway.

Wonder where jhmd is to tell us that this fringe stuff will never pass

"This is not something that makes our state a better place" said Rep. Deborah Ross, D-Wake. "It's something that puts us on Stephen Colbert, and we've been on Stephen Colbert a lot lately."

What a fantastic quote. Although, some people don't get that Colbert is a farce.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/07/2876958/parental-consent-for-treatment.html

RALEIGH, N.C. — Some North Carolina lawmakers want to require minors seeking treatment for sexually transmitted diseases and other problems to get parental consent first.

The House Health and Human Services Committee approved a bill Tuesday that would require minors to obtain notarized consent from a parent or guardian to be treated for an STD, pregnancy, substance abuse or emotional disturbance. Current law requires consent only for abortions.

This is why the GOP and particularly the NC GOP cannot have nice things.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/07/2876647/senate-gop-to-debut-major-tax.html

"It shifts the tax burden to consumption rather than income, a move that will disproportionately affect low-income taxpayers and families. A married couple with two children making $30,000 a year would pay an estimated $1,000 more in taxes each year, according to a calculator on a political website designed to support the plan. By contrast, a single taxpayer making $200,000 would get a $6,000 break."

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/07/2876958/parental-consent-for-treatment.html

RALEIGH, N.C. — Some North Carolina lawmakers want to require minors seeking treatment for sexually transmitted diseases and other problems to get parental consent first.

The House Health and Human Services Committee approved a bill Tuesday that would require minors to obtain notarized consent from a parent or guardian to be treated for an STD, pregnancy, substance abuse or emotional disturbance. Current law requires consent only for abortions.

I don't know that I'm completely against this. Should minors be allowed to make all of their own medical decisions? Substance abuse and treatment for emotional disturbance can be pretty physically and mentally taxing and is often run by shady-ass companies that literally go door to door to recruit new customers and then just send a bill to the state. Having some level of parental consent required may help stem this off.

I reserve the right to change my mind if someone makes a good argument against it that I'm just not immediately thinking of.

I don't know that I'm completely against this. Should minors be allowed to make all of their own medical decisions? Substance abuse and treatment for emotional disturbance can be pretty physically and mentally taxing and is often run by shady-ass companies that literally go door to door to recruit new customers and then just send a bill to the state. Having some level of parental consent required may help stem this off.

I reserve the right to change my mind if someone makes a good argument against it that I'm just not immediately thinking of.

what if the kids don't/can't talk about stuff like that with their parents and then can't get help?

Or if the problem(s) were/are caused by the parents. This is bad legislation.

Wait hold on. Parental consent to get medical treatment for pregnancy. So, if a girl is pregnant and scared to tell her parents, whether because they're abusive assholes or virginity-obsessed fundamentalist Christians, she can't get pre-natal care.

I thought the GOP was big on protecting unborn babies. This is good for the unborn baby how?

Back