• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Wait hold on. Parental consent to get medical treatment for pregnancy. So, if a girl is pregnant and scared to tell her parents, whether because they're abusive assholes or virginity-obsessed fundamentalist Christians, she can't get pre-natal care.

I thought the GOP was big on protecting unborn babies. This is good for the unborn baby how?

Yes. This is Republican logic. They can't separate the idea that all parents should be good involved active parents with the reality that many parents aren't and many people who are biological parents shouldn't be active and involved.

This is dumbass fundamentalist Republican logic. Unfortunately sometimes they are the loudest.

This is dumbass fundamentalist Republican logic. Unfortunately sometimes they are the loudest.

Sometimes they get elected to state legislatures and make the laws. That's more than just being loud.

what if the kids don't/can't talk about stuff like that with their parents and then can't get help?

Or if the problem(s) were/are caused by the parents. This is bad legislation.

Wait hold on. Parental consent to get medical treatment for pregnancy. So, if a girl is pregnant and scared to tell her parents, whether because they're abusive assholes or virginity-obsessed fundamentalist Christians, she can't get pre-natal care.

I thought the GOP was big on protecting unborn babies. This is good for the unborn baby how?

Good points by all. I ask because I have no idea but can minors (assuming they can pay somehow) sign off on their own elective surgeries?

Admittedly, I was thinking about the issue from my own perspective with healthy parental relationships and all. Would legislation be better if the minor could run it through a social worker in lieu of parents even if it's not an issue where the parents would lose custody (think religious zealot parents)? I just don't feel really good about a 15 year old being the only one choosing their caregivers as there is some really shady shit out there.

Student's right to pray.

http://www.wral.com/students-right-to-pray-reaffirmed-by-senate-committee/12424758/

"Senate Bill 370 would allow students to pray silently at any time or out loud during non-instructional time as long as the prayer is initiated by students – not teachers or staff – and nobody is forced to participate. Also, any school employees present during a student prayer would be encouraged to "adopt a respectful posture.""

Student's right to pray.

http://www.wral.com/students-right-to-pray-reaffirmed-by-senate-committee/12424758/

"Senate Bill 370 would allow students to pray silently at any time or out loud during non-instructional time as long as the prayer is initiated by students – not teachers or staff – and nobody is forced to participate. Also, any school employees present during a student prayer would be encouraged to "adopt a respectful posture.""

What a silly bill.

How do heath care providers get paid for services given minors without parents knowledge?

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/07/2876647/senate-gop-to-debut-major-tax.html

"It shifts the tax burden to consumption rather than income, a move that will disproportionately affect low-income taxpayers and families. A married couple with two children making $30,000 a year would pay an estimated $1,000 more in taxes each year, according to a calculator on a political website designed to support the plan. By contrast, a single taxpayer making $200,000 would get a $6,000 break."

Yep it seems highly regressive.

Seems like it would be simple to calculate exactly how much of a tax cut it is if we have the distributions of income, married people, and dependents.

Weird that more dependents = higher taxes.

Last edited:
Student's right to pray.

Why are they making bills for things that you can already do? What a waste of time.

Why are they making bills for things that you can already do? What a waste of time.

I'd love to see some Muslim students take teachers to court for not adopting a "respectful posture".

These idiots don't realize that actions like this make Christianity seem like a joke and is one of the worst ways to spread the gospel.

My district is now so gerrymandered that it would be a waste of time and money.

this is the #1 issue in NC politics. All the other stuff happening in the legislature flows from the fact that the Tea Party wave of 2010 coincided with the census. Anybody who wants to make a difference in NC should be shouting about reforming the redistricting process to a non-partisan, geographic based system like California's. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-21/californias-redistricting-shake-up-shakes-out-politicians#p1

Anecdotal, but I was back in my hometown this past weekend and some hardcore Republicans I know are not happy about this tax overhaul they're talking about. My Dad, who has run his own business for 30+ years now said if he has to start charging his customers tax, he's done. He'll sell off all his equipment and head to retirement.

Anecdotal, but I was back in my hometown this past weekend and some hardcore Republicans I know are not happy about this tax overhaul they're talking about. My Dad, who has run his own business for 30+ years now said if he has to start charging his customers tax, he's done. He'll sell off all his equipment and head to retirement.

this is why it has failed the past 10 times its been tried. Too many oxes gored by expanding the sales tax base.

I think your dad is probably way overestimating the impact a sales tax would have on his business, but the political problem is very real. Every business owner in the state who is not charging sales tax is apparently convinced that if they start charging sales tax they'll never have another customer.

this is why it has failed the past 10 times its been tried. Too many oxes gored by expanding the sales tax base.

I think your dad is probably way overestimating the impact a sales tax would have on his business, but the political problem is very real. Every business owner in the state who is not charging sales tax is apparently convinced that if they start charging sales tax they'll never have another customer.

I don't think it's really so much a problem of losing business as much as it is he's done things the same way forever and just doesn't want to deal with the compliance part of it. Which sounds silly, and probably isn't representative of the business community as a whole...but still, it's a psychological thing. It's a headache and it's more that these small businesses have to deal with. It's just like the small business owners who are concerned with the added headache of complying with Obamacare...well this just adds another something they have to spend time and money to comply with. I think if one is a concern, then the other has to be as well.

Back